Star of the Shogun: Realpolitik

I call upon the Daimyos of Japan to look at the facts.

1.) The Isolationists, ignorantly, believed that Japan truly was isolated from the outside world. THIS has resulted in Japanese military power to enter such a dire statues of neglect that we must now worry about the French.

2.) France grows in power at a faster rate than we do. Ask yourselves how long it will be until France sees the militarily weak Isolationist Japan and decides it wants everything under the sun. Japan expects every man to do his duty for his country. We must expand the military and we need to start planning for the worst. To not is neglect and neglect is a crime.

The French are a greedy, expansionist people. If we do not take them out first, they will take us out. The next administration must construct an army worthy of Japan, and go on the offensive against France. This threat will be dealt with!

-Daimyo Nukeknockout

The Japanese army needs to be built up, and not Stonehenge, which will only complete in 13 turns - Who knows what France will do in that time, especially with El Dorado now in their hands?

France has many riches, our coffers would grow fat if we were to plunder them.

Gentlemen! Clearly taking Napoleon's head is the consensus among many of us! I propose we create a Coalition of the Warring, those of us willing to prepare for the sacking of Paris. Together we made lead Japan to wealth and glory!

I hereby call upon all who value the lives of our people to abandon their bloodthirsty ways and let there be peace amongst us. The people do not seek to die over some far-away land, but to prosper and grow rich upon the land we can claim without death and hardship. We do not want war!

Edit: My 1,000th Post!!! [party]

DT
The New WIM :p

Dem Taqat would gladly sell the futures of Japan's sons and daughters into slavery rather than letting Japan's sons and fathers fight the fight they know must be fought.

Dem Taqat would gladly sell the futures of Japan's sons and daughters into slavery rather than letting Japan's sons and fathers fight the fight they know must be fought.

I see no fight that 'must be fought'. All I see are a group of politicians who feel such lust for El Dorado, which is not even Japanese, that they are willing to sacrifice the people of our nation to gain it.

DT

Such short-sighted views should be expected from one who doesn't see that three administrations down the line, we WILL face France whether we want to or not. What is the price of waging a war against France now and winning compared to waging a war later and winning? I will tell you that it is the difference between hundreds of soldiers dying and hundreds of thousands of children and women dying along with the soldiers.

I agree with attacking France. We can then set up pro-Japanese governor states without violating the purity of Japan. (OOC puppet states)

Such short-sighted views should be expected from one who doesn't see that three administrations down the line, we WILL face France whether we want to or not. What is the price of waging a war against France now and winning compared to waging a war later and winning? I will tell you that it is the difference between hundreds of soldiers dying and hundreds of thousands of children and women dying along with the soldiers.

And why 'WILL' we face France? Why can we not be allies with them? The future is not set in stone. All it takes is for us to remember what is best for the people; peace and prosperity, and we will be able to see that war is not a good option. We have not even attempted to explore the possibility of peaceful co-existence, of trade and prosperity, yet all now seem to seek blood. What has changed? El Dorado. As soon as it was claimed, all politicians began to call for the fall of France. This is proof of your true motives; greed, a lust for power and wealth. It shows that the lives of our people mean less to you than some Golden Ornament in another nations grasp.

DT

intriguing.

I must say I agree with calls to crush France earlier rather than later. We must raze their pestilential cities and burn into their psyche the price of angering Japan. Aas to the El Dorado site that is unfortunate, I for one did not expect such a hasty settlement by the french, it appears I miscalculated in that regard.

But to the matter at hand, the election. Unfortunately for the coalition I, along with my household will be going on an extended leave of absence in a few days time. We intend to retire to our meditations and contemplations on the kami. This naturally means that another will have to lead the coalition during my absence, it also means that I will not accept, (in accord with RP custom incidentally) a second consecutive term as shogun on behalf of the coalition.

-

ooc: I will be going on holiday for two weeks on the 8th of January, with no regular access to a computer. As such If I was shogun next term I would not be able to do the job and as such I will not contest for that position. Im sure the coalition will have someone else in the reigns to fill the position should the people deem us worthy to hold office consecutively.

I would like to announce that I am joining both this game and the Japanese Democratic Party Scratch that. I'm staying an independent for now. I got a better idea as to what I want to do. I wish I could post something fancier, but I'm constrained by other things. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyways, I'm glad to see so many veteran players in this game, including Ravus. Now all we need is Whosit and this will be the best RP since the original (hopefully).

Also, I welcome all new players and encourage them to jump right in.

I'll try to post something on my positions when I get the time.

What happened to talk of love, working together, and taking a pause to reflect? Did that opinion die the moment people realised the gold of Eldorado had been taken by the French?

We do not have the logistics to battle the French nor do we have a Casus Belli to declare war. Certainly declaring it over a patch of dirt while lots of other land surrounds us will not look good.

Instead the nation should embark on a time of expansion and technological advancement. If that expansion leads us into founding cities in a supply line style at France So be it. If our Advancement ends up being about how to ride horses or wield metal weapons So be it. But throwing our whole nation into a blood rage over some stones is silly.

1. Expand
  2. Learn
  3. Preach
  4. THEN Contemplate taking over the neighbour for their own good once they run their empire into the ground. (Yes it will run into the ground, it had nothing to do with the Ninja's causing choas.)

I would support a Coalition of Growth and Preparation rather then one that simply screams for blood without thought or reason.

As for attacking FRANCE I am torn. I do not lust for gold but the defense of Japan may need a preemptive attack. However I know this may be seen as the aforementioned lust for gold. Therefore I will support neither propostion.

Jwitti, why would you attack Japan? :p

It is thought through, Wise One. France, according to the intelligence reports we sneaked in despite the isolationist's firm policy against being aware of our neighbors, indicates that France is an expansionist, militaristic power. They will strike us somewhere down the line, so we must get the first strike. We must take control of their empire before they take control of ours. Do not listen to the Isolationists' talk of genocide, we merely seek to unite in some sort of mutual co-prosperity orb.

-Daimyo Nukeknockout

Chapter One: Samurai

The wooden sword shot up, catching its mate in midair. The two swordsmen, practiced as they were, immediately disengaged, slashed again, then withdrew a pace. The older man held his blade at eye level, pointing into the heavens. He eyed his younger compatriot.

The younger man held his sword slightly different, in a stance with the blade held in front at waist level. The difference was more extreme than might be thought - the young man's blade was well-positioned to stab, while the older man was in place for a volley of slashes and parries.

The old one lunged, barely missing the young one, who dodged to the side. He leapt in the air over the old man, spun and slammed his blade towards the man's head. The old man was faster, though, and caught the attack, then slid in for a punch. The young man kept his cool, ducking the blow and delivering an elbow to the older man's gut as he came up.

While the man dropped back, fighting for breath, the young man raised his blade and slashed upward, kicking when the old man blocked. The older man scuttled out of the way with practiced ease, moved for his own kick, but the young man had disengaged already and was sliding around him. The blade knocked into the older man's shoulder, thumping when it made contact with the armor. The old man turned, knocking the younger man's sword away with one contemptuous thrust.

A foot hit the back of his knee and he dropped. A wooden sword-point touched his throat.

"Enough," a voice called over the pair.

The young man took an immediate step back, wiped his sword on the top of his scabbard before sheathing it, then helped the older man to his feet. After he put away his own blade, the older man stood stiff, facing the younger one. The two each placed their right fist into their left palm, keeping the left hand straight, and bowed deeply.

"You do out house honor, Kenichi," the voice called. "Shinzo, you have done magnficently. I thank and honor you."

"The honor is mine, Lord Daimyo," the older man called, bowing to the lord. He turned and left, recognizing the dismissal from the private training ring in the courtyard.

Keinchi Tenshiro bowed to the Daimyo. "I try, father," he said.

The Daimyo smiled and beckoned to his son. Kenichi hurried to his side, following behind him as he walked back into the estate.

"You are a skilled warrior, and well-learned in the ways of Bushido. You are a samurai in every way," the Daimyo said. Kenichi said nothing, mildly embarrassed. The Daimyo laughed. "You are much like your grandfather."

The two paused under the ornate main door. Above the frame was an engraving of a man seated cross-legged in meditation, palms facing upward, hands on knees. His eyes were closed and there was a look of peace on his face.

In one palm there was a raging bonfire, miniature horsemen galloping around it with bows. In the other was a beautiful cherry blossom, exquisitely painted - unlike the rest of the carving.

"In the right hand, he offers war and power," the Daimyo murmured. "In the left, he offers beauty and prosperity. They are exclusive, in the end. A true samurai knows this in his heart - and that neither is a good thing."

"Yes," Kenichi replied. "Too much fire in your heart leads to feelings of superiority, of dominance, of a desire to rule over all and a certainty of your own infallibility. Too much of the blossom leads to complacency and weakness."

"You must do as your grandfather taught and walk the middle road," the Daimyo nodded. "Our line was founded by the great Lighthearter. We are children of the Immortals, you and I. We have gifts that not many men do."

"We will live forever," Kenichi murmured. "We are faster than mortals, and stronger."

"But not smarter," the Daimyo replied. "Not better by rule. We are different, but we are not a greater people than the normal Japanese citizens simply through our abilities."

Kenichi was silent for a moment, then bowed to the relief of Lighthearter. "Where is he now?"

"He is in the mountains," The Daimyo shrugged. "My father oft remarked of the foolishness of his compatriots in immortality. He remains in isolation even greater than that of the wise wanderer Ravus Sol, never to come among us again."

"I would like to meet him, someday," Kenichi murmured. The Daimyo said nothing for several moments.

"I have received a letter, Kenichi," he finally said. "It is from Isoruku Yamamoto. He wants you to join the Shogun's Swords."

Kenichi's eyes widened. "I am not that skilled!"

"If the commander of the Shogun's Own believes you are ready to fight with him, then you are ready, my son," the Daimyo laughed. "I have not replied - this is your decision. I would urge you to accept his offer and bring honor to our house."

"I do not know," Kenichi said. "I must think about this."

"Take your time, Kenichi," the Daimyo said. "Despite the bloodcurdling howls of the Immortals, there is no war nor any great conspiracy against the Shogun. These are days of peace."

OOC: Felt good to do this again. Expect more.

-L

What happened to talk of love, working together, and taking a pause to reflect? Did that opinion die the moment people realised the gold of Eldorado had been taken by the French?

I was posting about going to war with France before the update.
We do not have the logistics to battle the French nor do we have a Casus Belli to declare war. Certainly declaring it over a patch of dirt while lots of other land surrounds us will not look good.

Our soldiers fight better than equivalent French soldiers and our generals are superior. This isn't an era of steamships, capitalism, and electricity. This is an era of brutality and making tough decisions which extend no further beyond national security. France is a security threat that must be dealt with.

Instead the nation should embark on a time of expansion and technological advancement. If that expansion leads us into founding cities in a supply line style at France So be it. If our Advancement ends up being about how to ride horses or wield metal weapons So be it. But throwing our whole nation into a blood rage over some stones is silly.

Letting a dangerous militaristic power grow is neglect.

I would support a Coalition of Growth and Preparation rather then one that simply screams for blood without thought or reason.

I wish I could live in the high clouds that our esteemed Ravus lives in. However, I live on this planet in this nation and because of that, I have to come to uncomfortable decisions that weigh heavily on the reality of our situation. If France is not contained before it becomes a problem when we know that it will become a problem, then we our neglecting Japan's security and should disavow any claims to sovereignty over its people.

There is a different solution, akin to Dem Taqat's peaceful policy. It is of my opinion that we should build up our military to levels akin to that of an invasion force, but use it only if France decides that it would like to see the tricolour flying over Kyoto. We must weaken them by denying them land to expand to! We must open up our frontiers and let the settlers pour through, and clog the ground so much that the French have no choice but to sit on their haunches.

We must preserve peace - this is a truth. It is something that we must hold dearly... "Those that live by the sword, die by the sword." A powerful military will deter attack from France. While they are a threat we cannot ignore, we must maintain the moral high ground. We must not be the aggressor's in this case - what will the world think of us? What will our PEOPLE think of us? If we send their fathers, brothers, uncles... friends, off to die in a foreign land, for a war we started? Wait for them to come to us. Settle the land before they can get their greedy fingers on it. We will maintain the moral high ground, and we will maintain Japanese dominance in our glorious and fertile land.

Let us fight a defensive war, and then turn to the offense, rather than fight an offensive war, and see our people revolt against us.

Top Bottom