AI Civs not settling new cities?

Xaven.

Chieftain
I cannot find any similar threads or complaints on any thread in any forum on any website so I have to assume it is a bug I have.

I just picked up Civ5 over the weekend. Have been a long time Civ fan but didn't pick this up on release as I was into some other games and I wanted to play Civ 5 vanilla before deciding whether to get Gods and Kings.

So I have played a few games (have been playing on Prince to get back into the swing of things) and I have noticed that AI Civs seem to sit on ONE city forever. It is really annoying and frustrating, and that coupled with the lack of diplomacy options has made me feel as I may have wasted money on this title.

Is it the difficulty level? Am i not letting the matches get far enough before getting bored of me being on 5-6 cities and the other civs on my continent being at 1? Is it a bug? Can someone shed some light on this, would be much appreciated.

The only time I have seen an AI civ make another city was Montezuma. It was kind of funny actually. It was fairly early in the game, just after I settled my 2nd city. Me and Montezuma bumped into eachother and his greeting message was hostile so I told him, do not settle any cities near me, or else type of thing. So a few turns later he puts a city right near my capital, which was all the way across the continent from has capital! Just out of spite! I thought that was funny, but the city hardly grew as it was in a terrible spot and he settled no more after that and Ghandi didn't settle anymore either just sat on Delhi. It makes me feel as if it is me vs. 20 city-states =(.

Anyways sorry this is so long, thanks for any helpful responses.

It's sort of a bug that gets more noticeable as the difficulty level goes down. The AI might be trying to expand, but then their settlers get captured by barbarians, and then they don't build another settler, which really hurts them in the long run. On higher difficulties the AI gets more production anyways so it's less noticeable.

It's only happened to me like once though. Just restart if you notice that no one has expanded to a second city before the medieval era.

Top Bottom