Things you didn't know that Civ 5 had.

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
- After looking at old Civ 5 screens, I find out that despite initially believing G&K is brining that as a feature, Large scale interface is available, an option in Interface automatically sets it according to your screen (mine being 1280x1024) -.- I feel stupid about never knowing that.

- There's Anarchy in Civ 5... caused by switching between conflicintg Policies (Rationalism and Piety, as well as order/autocracy/freedom)

I never knew about anarchy, simply because I never wanted to abandon the policies.

When you have really poor defenses, barbarian galleys start to bombard your cities itself and brutes siege it.

I didn't know that AI Civs like to build some wonders of their "own", like America going for the Statue of liberty. Also AI Civs like to choose certain SPs according to their flavor (Japan - autocracy)

The other day, after 1200+ hours of play, I saw a little red exclamation point on the top bar. Clicking it revealed that I had hit my maximum number of units, each additional unit would drain 10% from my production.

The other day, after 1200+ hours of play, I saw a little red exclamation point on the top bar. Clicking it revealed that I had hit my maximum number of units, each additional unit would drain 10% from my production.

Hehe, it's pretty easy to hit that max if you spam too many units initially, early in the game.

I just discovered this recently too, in my first ever OCC game. Never noticed it before playing OCC.

I saw that last week, in my current game. A little part of me died. :lol:

I saw that last week, in my current game. A little part of me died. :lol:

Heh, I facepalmed the first time I hit that. Worst part was the AI had apparently assumed since I was playing the Aztecs that I was going to be an insane little b-tard and I had EVERY AI at war with me when I was in the very middle of a pangea map and we are talking early, as in Warrior battles early(heh at least my Jaguar was clearly the better unit!). Yeah I needed every unit I could get and that little issue kept biting me in the arse . . . big time!

I hit that max unit support quite easily, going Tradition or Honour.

Here's perhaps something that not a lot of players will have seen, Pliny completes his greatest work at turn 50, and look who's the peacenik:

And it wasn't like an early rush had gone badly, the diplo screen showed clearly what Alexander had been doing the first 50 turns:

Simply the wrong choice of policy, of course, if you're peacefully building wonders, to go Honour... daft AI.

I just discovered that standing next to Fountain of Youth gives you the Immortal "heal at double rate" promotion. Previously I only thought the double healing happened when you were beside it, not a promotion that was carried with you. That's for not fully reading the descriptions!

I wonder what happens if you sit an Immortal next to it. Does it get 4x healing rate?

If you destroy city states in quick succession you get a pop up saying that City States do not trust you and they will gang up to start a war on you. The more city states you attack, the more are recruited into attacking you.

I wonder what happens if you sit an Immortal next to it. Does it get 4x healing rate?

Apparently they don"t stack according to the war room article on Persia.

I just discovered that standing next to Fountain of Youth gives you the Immortal "heal at double rate" promotion. Previously I only thought the double healing happened when you were beside it, not a promotion that was carried with you. That's for not fully reading the descriptions!

What? Seriously? That's crazy. I've never seen the Fountain of Youth in any of my games, and I had no idea that a GW had an effect like that. That's...kinda overpowered, in my opinion. Capriciously and unnecessarily so.

(...I've since dug around on the internet and seen the various complaints about it, no need to rehash them here, but...yeah, I'm surprised.)

On a related note, my current game is the first one in which I've seen El Dorado, but apparently I wasn't the first one to discover it, as I recall receiving no 500gp "finder's fee." So I didn't even notice that special bonus.

I just found out that you can que production in a city.

On a related note, my current game is the first one in which I've seen El Dorado, but apparently I wasn't the first one to discover it, as I recall receiving no 500gp "finder's fee." So I didn't even notice that special bonus.
I think if you're not first you still get 100. Correction; that's just when you're Spain, and with any wonder. I was mixed up.

It depends a bit on what type of map you play which natural wonders are most likely to pop up.
If you only play Pangaea you'll never get Fuji, as Fuji cannot appear on the biggest landmass, and a Pangaea is one big landmass, so you won't get it then.
If you play standard or larger pangaea maps you'll see the Fountain of Youth and El Dorado quite regularly, and they can easily appear together on the same map, probably a side effect of Fuji not being selectable.

I think if you're not first you still get 100.
Huh, could be. I found it rather late in my game, so if there's no pop-up message about the gold, it's possible that I just didn't notice it.

It depends a bit on what type of map you play which natural wonders are most likely to pop up. If you only play Pangaea you'll never get Fuji, as Fuji cannot appear on the biggest landmass, and a Pangaea is one big landmass, so you won't get it then.
If you play standard or larger pangaea maps you'll see the Fountain of Youth and El Dorado quite regularly, and they can easily appear together on the same map, probably a side effect of Fuji not being selectable.
Gotcha. I typically play Continents (Huge), and I almost always see Fuji. This current game is the first in which I've seen El Dorado, and as I said I have yet to see the Fountain. Darn, I guess I'll have to keep playing... ;)

I switched from Peity to Rationalism one time, and I didn't even notice the anarchy.

It sure did hurt happiness, though.

I believe the fountain of youth will give you its happiness as long as it is in your territory, not just in the workable tiles. Just like any resource.

Top Bottom