Does Krakatoa ever explode?

Socratatus

Emperor
I`ve a city near Krakatoa for a while now and noticed it never gets menacing and never explodes. I can understand why it creates a little happiness at first, but it should at some point blow up.

Perhaps it will do on your 1,000th game...

I've not heard any reports of it doing so though, yet...

Well I hope there`s a random chance it will as it was a huge event in reality, even if I lose my city, but I get the feeling it won`t happen.

I WONDER why they would make it explode :b
(it's a wonder, I think they would have to up its gains it if explodes)

Well I hope there`s a random chance it will as it was a huge event in reality, even if I lose my city, but I get the feeling it won`t happen.

If there was, I think we'd have heard about it by now...

However, it could always be turned on in a patch!

A mod maybe?

There is a random events coding in the CIV game. Maybe that it for evens like this?

I don't know about you guys, but I would hate to have a Krakatoa/Pompeii/Atlantis scenario that happened all from a roll of the dice. See your 20 pop city? Not any more. :( Would be very un-fun.

lol I hope random events get added back. ^_^ ofc you can turn them on or off.

I also heard that the random event coding is actually used. Like I can't find out the website I read it on, and I have asked others to try to find it, but I read that it is coding for an alien invasion (of sorts). It was pretty detailed but I don't know the site so I will try to tell you everything it said. There is something around a 1/million chance that 5-10 GDR (per-civ in game, and depending on the era it starts) will drop around the largest city of every civ excluding the capital and take it. They get a bonus to production, and can see the entire map always, including all submarines. It will add an "alien" civilization that you cannot contact, and cannot make peace with. All civilizations at war get a 10 turn peace treaty, but afterwards can still fight eachother (if the AI are stupid enough to do that o.o.. so they will)

I personally think that website was full of crap, but there is something to ponder about :)

I will be making an alien-invasion scenario soon if anyone is interested

I also heard that the random event coding is actually used. Like I can't find out the website I read it on, and I have asked others to try to find it, but I read that it is coding for an alien invasion (of sorts). It was pretty detailed but I don't know the site so I will try to tell you everything it said. There is something around a 1/million chance that 5-10 GDR (per-civ in game, and depending on the era it starts) will drop around the largest city of every civ excluding the capital and take it. They get a bonus to production, and can see the entire map always, including all submarines. It will add an "alien" civilization that you cannot contact, and cannot make peace with. All civilizations at war get a 10 turn peace treaty, but afterwards can still fight eachother (if the AI are stupid enough to do that o.o.. so they will)

I personally think that website was full of crap, but there is something to ponder about :)

This sounds like a Harry Turtledove book. Is this for reals or a joke?

I'm not crazy about the idea of random events in a Civ. Why would you take a game that involves so much strategy and skill and turn it into a game of chance? For me, gameplay trumps historical accuracy every time.

Leave the dice rolls to the gamblers. I'll take chess over craps any day.

It sounds like a hell of a lot of work for content that 99.99% of the people who play the game will never see. Are you sure you didn't read this article on April 1st?

Random events would be awesome, they just need to be dialed down to not be game breaking.

Have Krakatoa have a small chance to erupt and destroy a couple nearby tile improvements, and maybe kill 1 pop if a city is within 3 tiles.

Nothing you can't recover from.

There are hundreds of events, both positive and negative, that could add a little flavour, without crippling or super-charging an empire

Random things only happen in civ 4, but they make the game more realistic and fun and it doesn't add much chance to the game. I think if you also had something like a barbarian scenario with things like raids on your cities and x10 encampment spawning it would be cool

Random events would be a nice novelty thing but I can see why they didn't include it since Krakatau (I'm Indonesian, that's how it's spelled) has technically been "erupting" since forever

It`s not a case of they didn`t bother because kakatoa beens`erupting forever`, they just never bothered with any kind of events at all. Also Krakatoa or Krakatau should be an event because when it exploded in the 1800s it was the biggest recorded explosion of the time and killed about 36000 people. A little more than just `erupting forever`. It was a significant event.

The random events were very nice in Civ4. They really gave an extra level to the game. There were even times you had to make decisions for the people -should you support a fledgling Dev company produce a strange game called Civilisation or not? Or how do you deal with that plane crash in a rival`s country? They added a Human touch.

A pity that none of that is in Civ5.

As I said I think the website was full of crap. I think random events would be cool, maybe have an option to turn on or off (like the no barbarians option)

Top Bottom