Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I've seen better

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • it needs help

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • it was horrible

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
ok, i just finished downloading Openfx and when i double-click on setup to install it onto my computer so i can use the program, everything goes perfectly fine through Install Setup until after i select the program folder and go to the actual installation. Before anything is installed this Severe Error comes up that says, "General file transfer error. Please check your target location and try again. Error Number: -2." I know that this isn't from your tutorial, but i was wondering if you could help me with this- i can't find the solution on my own computer (XP) and if you could it would be really great and I could start working through your tutorial.

I really REALLY wanna start unit editing- PLEASE HELP ME! :cry: :cry: :cry:

did you download the source version or BIN version?

Ok, the source version works and i just finished my first unit (the airspeeder). Unfortunately, during both the tutorial and the construction of this unit I couldn't color it right. For some reason, the preview only showed the two laser cannons and the very back of the airspeeder. Also, when i select magenta as my background color, nothing changes. Grrr . . . Well, i'm going to start animating the airspeeder and if i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong, i'll send the design to someone. (by the way, who and where do i send finished/unfinished units?)

How to set BackGround Color:

WHat you do is go to 'ViewOpenGL' then to 'Preferences' then to 'SetBackColor' choose magenta then click 'OK' in all the prompts.

How to Color:

with only the vertices you want to color, selected, GOTO 'Attibutes'> 'Material Settings'> then selecet the color. CLick OK then close. WHen i do it i have toe repeat the process with a different color then with the desired color to get it to stay. DOn't know why this happens, maybe a glitch.

Finally got it to work! Have yet to begin animator, though.

Is there any way to import max or 3ds meshes into OpenFx?

@Flamand: 3ds models work in OpenFX... :)

@Polyphemus: Little point on your tutorial that yuove missed out, its so simple that youd have to be almost stupid to forget it when actaully making the tank(however i managed it ;) ), but you forget to mention that you have to check the joints are in the correct places.

Mine were in the right place from the side but not in the right place from the front. Like i said, it is unlikely that this will happen to you, and even less likely that you will not figure out what is wrong straight away. However i did manage it and it confused me for hours! :blush:

But it is an excellent tutorial polyphemus! :goodjob:

Flamand said:
Is there any way to import max or 3ds meshes into OpenFx?

Yes there is a way:

1. Open the designer
2. Goto File>Open and select your 3ds model.

It does not support max though, only .mfx, .3ds, .dxf, and .stl

ok, goin thru animation tutorial and heres where i hit a snag:

Now select the Camera actor. Press anywhere on the positioning row (teal line). Click yes to split the channel. Now click on the newly created box and hold your mouse button and move the box to were you want the keyframe to be. By following the same procedure make the keyframe window look like this:

I don't quite understand what im supposed to do. Maybe im just a ******, but what im doing doesn't seem to be working. What it tried was clicking the camera and dragging it to the teal line, then clicking the camera then the teal line, then both but instead of clicking on the line i held the mouse down . . . could'ya help me out (and tell me exactly what to do as if i was as intelligent as dung)?

polyphemus said:
Yes there is a way:

1. Open the designer
2. Goto File>Open and select your 3ds model.

It does not support max though, only .mfx, .3ds, .dxf, and .stl

OK, thanks... :)

@SWC:

1. Goto Frames>set animation length and enter your desired animation length
2. select the Camera actor (the first camera, the one that appeared when you opened the animator)
3. ON the blue line, or the positioning line. click a spot on the line where you wish to add a keyframe. click yes to open the new channel.

I advise you an anyone else reading this that is attempting to follow this tutorial to get the doc version. It is split up in two files. Download both since they have more pics than the on-line tutorial which makes it easier to follow.

Just a few more starship related questions:

* How to make it explode in OpenFx?
* How to add fire behind missiles?
* How to make glowing laser beams?

Since you're specialized in SW unit I was hoping you could help me with that... :)

sure.

1. for the explosions i just make a fire ball ad render it by itself then paste the explosion on top of my unit.
How to make a fireball. In the animator, insert a new light actor. Set it to dummy and attenuate. Goto help>animator help and open the content that is highlighted blue in this pic:

Back in the animator, Insert a post pro actor, open up the fireball file. Click the dummy lights bubble and then choose specified. Look for the light you just added. now enter the desired settings in the fireball post pro prompt. NOTE: use the help file as reference on hwo to get the fireball to look nice. Now click ok and scroll for the dummy light in the keyframer window. double click te size box to change its size. Unfortunately you can't view the fireball until to click render. it maytake some trial an error but after you get the desired effect you'll be pleased.

2. to make the fire trail the missile the same process is used. note that the fireball is 'attached' to the light you specified in the fireball prompt. Where ever you move the light, the fireball moves with it. so just move the light to follow the missile.

3. what i do is create another model, a cylinder, and color it the laser color. Then goto Attributes>material settings>textures>check internal then click luminous. once this is done add the model into the animator and animate.

hope i could help, any other questions just post them!:D

Thanks again... :)

Just a quick question: I can't seem to find target(camera). How do I get it to come back? Thanks. I've come this far and I won't stop now!

on the bottom of the animator there is a 'Keyframe" window. If htere is not press 'K' to bring it up. On the left of the window it should say 'Camera'. Then on the right of the window there should be a scroll bar. Scroll down once and it should then say 'Target' that is the 'Target Camera,' where the camera focuses. It is alos on the working document. Click the icon that looks like a cross.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up!

Very Good! Unfortunately, I have a money problem that forces me to use freeware. Perhaps you can help with this polyphemus or, if you can't, find someone who can. Check out this thread - Tutorials, Reference, & Guides - Freeware and the Civ 3 editor - a request. I would have posted the link but I don't know how. :sad:

If you can help, there are probably many that would thank you for it. If not, just keep steppin' up with stuff like this. It is obviously VERY helpful. I voted "yes, make another one just like it" but you are missing a heading in your poll. You need to add "Yes, but it needs more pictures". To newbies like me, pictures are important. :D

Top Bottom