Welcome Thread

Greetings from a long time AlphaC player (have the OEM 1999 CD) but just deciding after a decade to see if there was a community. It appears there may well be, and several! I've already discovered a zillion expansions, patches, scenarios, mods and fun bits. My "AlphaC Everything" folder runneth over, my pate is anointed with fungus, my artifacts and my 20-14-8 air units, they comfort me. :crazyeye:

Mainly, I play on my 1.7 Ghz 2003 laptop away from the main hot PC, like when it's snowing with nothing to do on the couch or even in hospital when you really appreciate it! I also have Colonization (does that one need a few patches, sheeze!) and Civ 1 & 2, Populous and a brace of Mahjong on it. But they don't have the pure enjoyment of SMAC (as you say here). I'll catch Alien Crossfire soon and see what all the fun is about. ;)

I've been running SMAC on DOS 6, Win98SE and WinXP SP3 over the years. Win98 was great, no problems at all, but the 1st machine was slow (Home-built AMD 486-40, 16 MB, 340 HD, 2 MB VESAbus video card to start with, later a P133 momboard with 64 MB came along to the rescue). In XP the problems have been that the game choose screen presents me with 2 side-by-side buttons and nothing else. The left one starts the process for the single player game. The right seems to be for multi-player use, but I have been always against AI only. Took me a bit to get used to how fast the current PC ran the turns... little time to see the enemy units passing my visual areas. Also, I've learned to save every turn or 2, as there's a glitch crash occasionally after the 1st 10 turns. Sometimes it's been a good thing. :yup:. I'm hoping the patches will sort that. :smoke:

I've come bearing gifts, as one should to new fiends... er, friends. Found some info for you wanting to watch the game movies:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10800133#post10800133

I'm enjoying the site quite much already. But as an initial critique, you are seriously in need of Subsections for the Alpha Centauri category! All the threads are run together. The Civfanatics main forum page has Game sections, but there should be subsection categories for the Games! No way to sort the Mods from the Glitches from the Game Tips from the Hardware Help, etc., in the SMAC area that I could see. :confused: :help:

In closing, I have a few ideas about AC 2, like most of us. That's for a later day. -Cheers and mow your Fungus, y'all. It's looking positively East Houston round there! :lol:

Welcome to the forum, jopower,

Regarding your suggestion to subdivide the Alpha Centauri forum: I can see why a newcomer might see this forum as somewhat chaotic. The forum did have subforums in the past, but they were all consolidated when traffic decreased. I hope that you'll get used to the current setup. If you'd like to discuss this issue further, please start a new thread. Thanks!

Petek

Are we still doing introductions here?

If so, I'm Peck of Arabia, not actually from Arabia, in particularly interested in Lawrence of Arabia; I believed I picked it as a name to help me sound more interesting than I actually am...

Anyway, I'm a long-time SMAC and SMAX player I've had the game for about a decade now, I think, after I found it in the shop, original and X-pack together for £10 and I've always kept coming back to it, I'd say it ranks solidly in my top games, very addictive and I love pretty much everything about it, too.

I thought I would try a Let's Play for this game to give my YouTube channel something to do and I was thinking, in the interests of making it fun and interactive I might post a connecting thread, for people to offer comments or suggestions here. Would that go down well, or would it be too much, or against forum rules for a constant linking to YouTube?

Howdy Peck of Arabia and welcome to the Alpha Centauri forum!

A new thread with links to YouTube are fine. In fact, quill18 already has such a thread. I'm sure that other forum members will enjoy the results of your efforts.

Petek

I haven't played SMAC in a long time, but came back to it pretty easily. Now I've got SMAX as well and am looking forward to lan parties with some local friends.

I have to say. I love that this forum actually has a custom made rules for registration. It's honestly the first time I've actually read an EULA like document in a long time, and it didn't even feel like a chore.

Anyway, looking forward to participating in things around here.

Man, I suddenly wanted to play SMACX again... but last time I tried to install it in Win7, it didn't work. Came here (first place I think of for Sid Meier game stuff) to see if I could find any patch information, I'm sure I have a patch file in my stuff somewhere, just wondering if another was slipped out in the mean time.
I will poke around a bit to see if there is any patch information. Meanwhile, I saw the few posts here about how people got into SMAC/Civ. Took a look at my past posts here (easy with so few) and it looks like I haven't posted my story, so I'll amuse myself by doing so here.
-----
I first got into the Civ series with Civ3. I saw a copy in a games store, during Christmas, and read the back and was interested. My eldest sister then picked up a copy for me and I don't recall how long I spent on that game.
When I eventually got out, I found SMAC... again, vanished into that game. Eventually I got Civ4 and was into that.
Finally, I found a game pack that had the 'Planetary Pack'. Having been looking for Crossfire for some time, I got it. Turns out, it had a copy of the 'Planetary Pack' and vanilla SMAC.
So, I have two copies of SMAC and a copy of the Planetary Pack.
And of course, I now also have Civ5... which as I am writing this, many people are starting to play 'Brave New World'... which I won't be getting for a little while. Just don't have the funds for it right now.
-----
When it comes to modding... I have played around with it a bit in SMACX and Civ4, but not made anything worth sharing.
On other notes, I am currently trying to learn Unity... but these days, who isn't? *laughs*

That's my first day registered here, although I already knew this forum since several years ago (but I'm still finding myself lost at the subforums).

I got introduced to Civilization series in 2002, when my father bought a new computer and gave his old Win95 to me. Somehow I did have a CD of CivII Gold Edition, and got addicted to it. Later I played CivIII and CivIV BTS at the labtop (didn't tried Civ V because of its system requiremets and being steam-only), always single-player. And 2 years ago, after reading Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson and doing some research, I did found this suberb SMAC/X that covered lots of the things that I missed from the rest of civs. I cannot believe how I didn't know about it all those years.

Now I don't play it as frequently as before because of university being too much time-consuming, but in holidays I'm playing it almost daily.

P.S.: Is SMAC/X considered abandonware now?

Hey pomodois,

Welcome to CivFanatics and CFC! Take some time and browse through the threads in this forum. You'll find lots of useful advice. Alpha Centauri (including the Alien Crossfire expansion) is available to buy from GOG, so it hasn't been abandoned.

New to CFC I thought I would pop in here to say Hello. I picked up SMAC while I was living in the north of Sweden in 2000 and with it's long Winter devoid of Sun and the sub zero temps it gave the perfect otherworldly feel to play this game with the ambience of a hostile environment. I haven't played in ages despite trying to get it to work on a modern machine, might have to reinstall on older hardware. News of Civ Beyond Earth has peaked my interest again as well as talk here of a patch and even an expansion.

If we're still introducing ourselves, I'm usnavyet, started playing Civilization (yes the first one :D_ ) on a DOS based 286. Showing my age here, I remember upgrading to DOS3.2! :) Had the original CD of SMAC in 1999 I believe. Have since misplaced it, but found the SMAC/SMAX download on GOG. SMAC is an outstanding game, have yet to try SMAX. Replaying SMAC for a bit then going to try it.

A lot of us old guys here, actually. Always room for another 'grownup' and welcome to CFC!

I didn't get xfire for ten years, and it's honestly not much of an expansion - but the new factions brought an enormous quality of freshness to the game for me, so much so that I ended up getting me into faction modding.

Hi!!!!

I first go into Civ at around 2 or 3 I think... the box art was sort of beige colored and it had this galleon ship in front of a globe. I played IV, bought V but somehow lost the box :cry:. I also played SMAC/X and fell in love with that game. For years I was waiting for a remake so when I heard about BE I got excited and bought it. While it's a fine game in its right, it didn't quite scratch that SMAC/X itch.

Oh I also have VI and all associated DLCs.

I used to frequent Apolyton so I went back there to see if I can improve my VI game and it didn't seem the same. I then remembered CivFanatics so I came here. So far this site hasn't disappointed :thumbsup:

Today I thought to myself hey lets see if this site have SMAC/X section and sure it does! :love:

I wonder if I can run the game on my Windows 10 machine.... will be sure to check forums!

Welcome to CivFanatics. :)

Some have had problems running the game on Windows 10. If you do, please create a new thread and we'll take a look. I'm finally getting a Windows 10 system in a couple of weeks, so I might be able to advise.

I dunno, but this question seems kinda awkward. Would it be fine if I did a thread of "Yo Mama: Alpha Centauri Edition" in here just for the sake of lulz:lol:, or would that belong in another forum?

SMAC was one of my favorite games back in the day. I don't know if it will run on my Win 10 computer. I wish it was available on Steam, where I have bought several games including Civ 3. I don't feel comfortable with GOG. No real reason; I'm just reluctant to give credit card information or download software from an Eastern European company.

Top Bottom