SL Wiki Upload List

Paint has changed with new versions of Windows. I think the Win7 version may have fewer options than previous ones. I don't see a way with the version I have.

This was my fist thought, too when using Paint coming with Win7 (64 bit-version). But this impression is wrong. In reality this version of Paint is much better than the old one. It´s only a matter to get used to it. Civ 2 transparency can be easily achieved by adding magenta (the second colour in the right column of the palette) to the palette. The images for all thirty spaceships in my sprite-set for Civ 2 ToT I could do with Win7 by mostly pushing only some buttons.

It works for me too
Yep, it's just me. Can access the site from other machines. I tried different browsers, and disabling firewall and anti-spyware software on this one. No dice. I decided to try TOR. Sure enough, the site loads, so it would appear my IP address has been banned.

The SL link on CFC is still the old Apolyton one. I'll have to poke and prod Ainwood again.

Civ 2 transparency can be easily achieved by adding magenta (the second colour in the right column of the palette) to the palette.
Can you use MS Paint to create transparent backgrounds for GIFs and PNGs destined for web pages, was the question.

Can you use MS Paint to create transparent backgrounds for GIFs and PNGs destined for web pages, was the question.

Sorry , than I misunderstood that question.

Are we removing "AD" from all the more recent time periods in the scenario category pages?

Are we removing "AD" from all the more recent time periods in the scenario category pages?
Apparently - for the reason McMonkey just gave. I've retained it for Ancient, Middle Ages and Fictional. Red Front, AD 1941-1945 (or 1941-1945 AD) looks daft.

Working my way through restoring the Tips section. I've created a table on the Tips category page modelled on the sorted one from the old SL site. Nothing's in stone. Suggestions welcome. I'm just trying to get the stuff up there. Modem on the blink right now. Metal festival tomorrow. Will try to finish the outstanding pages in a week or so.

Thanks for that Catfish. I had said I would give it a go, but I have found the time to do it hard to come by! Judging by the bit you have already done you will do a more polished job than me anyway! Enjoy the festival and don't rock TOO hard! :aargh:

@ Catfish

Can I make a request? You are by far the authority on creating scenarios for Test of Time. When you have the time do you think you could make a section on the Wiki devoted to a beginners guide to creating Test of Time scenarios? I don't just mean a Tips section like you are currently creating, but an honest to God instruction sheet for someone just buying the game. Right down to how to acquire the game, what patch to install, where to install it, on what operating systems, and what files to edit? A "be all to end all" walkthrough to creating scenarios?

I feel that there is a lot of disconnect between the beginner Civ player and a seasoned veteran. Most people do not know of the many options and possibilities when they buy a "second" or "third" generation civ game, like Civ MGE or ToT. I was looking at the review section on Amazon for Test of Time and most people were turned off by the graphics of ToT. I want to try and retain those buyers so that they can someday become seasoned designers like our little group.

If we were to have a detailed guide, and advertise it, I think we could swell our ranks and educate the masses more easily. Sound like something you might want to take up?

a beginners guide to creating Test of Time scenarios

I think this is an incredible good idea! :):clap:

Such a guide should start what to do when installing Civ 2 ToT with Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) or other up to date systems and it should contain a detailed chapter what to do exactly (best combined with screenshots) to get bat files be operable with such systems (for example if a scenario contains a bat file at present I never will play it).

The guide should have a name so it can be found easily by search machines like google and should have links to the patches and tools that are mentioned there.

I think it´s enough to do such a guide for Civ 2 ToT. MGE is outdated and only a preference for some old civers who know very well what to do with that version of Civ 2.

I had said I would give it a go, but I have found the time to do it hard to come by!
I was unaware. I simply saw a gap and ploughed ahead :mischief: - prompted by Keu's linking to Mike Daumen's units article on the defunct Apolyton site.

Enjoy the festival and don't rock TOO hard! :aargh:
A test of endurance: I was standing for the best part of 11 hours. Blistered feet. Hobbled out of there like an old man. Slayer cancelled at the 11th hour to the chagrin of many vocal fans. At least I got to see Maiden and Dimmu Borgir. :D

Can I make a request? (...) A "be all to end all" walkthrough to creating scenarios?
We'll see. It sounds more like two guides:

1. How to install and play Test of Time in the 2010s. I thought about doing something like that on my own site last year. Possibly take the form of a key. Include official patches, 3rd-party patches, Indeo codecs, graphics replacement packs, etc.
2. How to make a Test of Time scenario. Possibly a tutorial; a much larger undertaking.

...and it should contain a detailed chapter what to do exactly (best combined with screenshots) to get bat files be operable with such systems
Choice.com needs to be replaced with SET /P for them to work on 64-bit systems. The problem now is delevent.exe. We need a new version, compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows.

The guide should have a name so it can be found easily by search machines like google and should have links to the patches and tools that are mentioned there.
Google bots have absolutely no problem trawling the wiki. I was searching for something on Google the other day, only to find a page I'd added to the wiki a few days earlier at the top of the list. Didn't help me any at the time.

We'll see. It sounds more like two guides:

1. How to install and play Test of Time in the 2010s. I thought about doing something like that on my own site last year. Possibly take the form of a key. Include official patches, 3rd-party patches, Indeo codecs, graphics replacement packs, etc.
2. How to make a Test of Time scenario. Possibly a tutorial; a much larger undertaking.

Sweet. Thanks.

@ Catfish
I've been using your WotR background tiles for a while and I just realized that I can't switch back. I've tried with the bat-file, and I've tried doing it manually with the tiles_bak.dll. What am I doing wrong?

So have I. I just switched back. I'd almost forgotten what the originals looked like.

1. You need to restart ToT for the changes to take effect.
  2. Make sure you've got the latest WotR_Setup.bat file. I think I changed the directory structure late-2008.
  3. What's your ToT installation path? Is the WotR folder located inside your Test of Time folder?
  4. Are you using Windows Vista or 7? If so, what are your User Account Control settings (Control Panel → User Accounts → Change User Account Control settings)?
  5. Manual method. Inside your WotR folder you should have another folder called Tiles. It should contain a backup of the original: tiles_bak.dll, date stamp 20/5/1999. Rename it tiles.dll and copy it to the main Test of Time folder.

Top Bottom