The City States of Greece

I think that the settler must move. That site has not enough production. But the choice it's Tambien's, of course... ;)

Analysis of the spot:
We lack a river, which means that gold will be short.
The forested plains east of us can be cut and then turned into farms for food, or made into workshops (Or whatever it's called) when we get Engineering (?)
We do however have access to the sea, so we can get some gold from there, and when we get a lighthouse, we can farm those tiles for 1 gold.
We have Ivory near us, which is great, we definaly want to grab that tile

Conclusion:
We should spend 1 or 2 turns scouting around us before settling, if there is a river it would be preferrable to settle that instead of our currect location.
Other than that, I think that our currect location is probably the best to settle, giving the fact that it's close to the hills to the southwest and the potential farm plains to the east.

I added new graphics (1 to be exact) to the session post. From now on it will be at the top of each one. I've also got a picture of the little greek symbol but I couldn't find a use for it.

Oh, nice :p I like it :D

I'm a little confused on this gold v drachma thing. Are tile outputs :)c5food: = 1, :c5production: = 3, :c5gold: = 5) in drachma or gold and by city treasury are you referring to portion of the civilisations' :c5gold: that is usable by a city or the reserves the city can use for IC law enforcement etc. If the former how is the :c5gold: converted into drachma? And if the later why bother drawing a distinction between gold and drachma?

I'm a little confused on this gold v drachma thing. Are tile outputs :)c5food: = 1, :c5production: = 3, :c5gold: = 5) in drachma or gold and by city treasury are you referring to portion of the civilisations' :c5gold: that is usable by a city or the reserves the city can use for IC law enforcement etc. If the former how is the :c5gold: converted into drachma? And if the later why bother drawing a distinction between gold and drachma?

Yes the tile outputs are :c5food: = 1, :c5production: = 3, :c5gold: = 5 and yes I'm referring to the portion of the civilizations gold that is usable by a city. It is converted by just using using the action transfer amount. It will transfer using the ratio 1g:5d. As long as your character has access to the city treasury they can do this. Whether it is legal to do so or not is up to the players. Think of the Drachma as the currency of Greece, while Gold :)c5gold:) is the standard currency used by all nations.

Now, This would make it seem like it is possible to get double the amount out of a hex. For example if a hex, owned by Player A, has an output of 3:c5gold: and is being worked by the city, the player will get 15dpt, while the city will get 3:c5gold: per turn. If the player has access to the city treasury they could potentially then withdraw another 15dpt from there. These extra 15dpt came from taxes on NPC citizens, even though in game they are actually coming from the same source. So basically the city treasury comes from taxes. If this last paragraph didn't make sense you can just ignore it. I am trying to clarify where the money comes from.

hmm, we should move the warrior first and then think about it before we decide what to do with the actual settler. This being that it may be that we're just missing a better site right nearby

However I am actually STRONGLY inclined to settle in place at present since I think it will take too long to search around for, and actually move to, a better site, something which would put us overall at a significant disadvantage if we decide to go on such a "long march". This site currently would serve as a good production city and thanks to ivory and the two calendar resources (they have two gold so they are calendar right?) with the ocean as well this will also serve as a good commerce city.

Noble Prota Tambien Fotismenos

Fotismenos Okiogeneia, Family Fotismenos, is a great Greek family from the city of Athens. They are great humanitarians, and support education. They do, however, understand the realities of economics due to their merchant background. They are a family on the rise, and they are planning for many contingencies.

Orders
Settler- Settle on-site (I find the site to be our best possible option, as it lets us start researching and expanding now, plus the fact that many resources are nearby)
Warrior- Explore in the general direction of the northeast. Look for any rivers, lakes, or natural wonders.

When we settle down, begin building a scout.

I guess I might aswell update today. No one but Tambien is in the game right now anyway, so it doesn't matter if I wait.

exactly, update oh great GM, update!

~Under Prota Tambien Fotismenos the settlers found the city of Athens~

The air was dry and hot in this new city, and life was hard. Luckily, to the east wheat grew in abundance and helped feed the hungry populace. To the west stretched more flat, unforgiving desert that soon would give way to hilly dunes. Haggard, thin sheep could be found roaming the sandy hills. To the north there were plains that held strange plants and animals. Finally to the south was the salty, warm sea, what would this sea be called? The people needed leadership and looked to the wise Founder, Prota Tambien Fotismenos, for direction.

Prota Tambien Fotismenos is now known as Founder of Athens, Prota Tambien Fotismenos

Issues:
  • What is the new government structure?
  • What shall we research?
  • What tiles should we work?

Athens City Screen:
Spoiler :

Strategic Map:
Spoiler :

Tech Tree:
Spoiler :

Notes:
-Sorry in my haste I mixed up east and west haha :blush:
-I know you said scout but I took the screenshot before I picked the production so no need to re-order that.

The Athenead

-

Chapter 1

-

After many centuries of wandering after the fall of the Empire ,the remnants of the once great hellenic nation found themselves at a pause in a barren waste beside the sea. Yet climbing the dunes they beheld to wonder a land of plenty, of wine flowing like common water, of fields of verdant wheat, forests tall and ancient and in the plains great hulking behemoths, elephants, whose tusks were greater in size than the tallest of men made of the purest ivory where to the south from whence they came was only desert hills and salty water.

At this crossroads the people turned to the Fotismenoi, known for their wise illuminations and delvings into philosophy, to build the first new city since the fall, and bring new light to the protean civilisation of Hellas. However the Fotismenoi were not alone, for other great houses also walked amongst the greeks, some ancient and some new, and they, although under the thrall of the archon for now would have their voices heard..

Thus when the foundation stone of athens was laid, the tents erected and the Anaktoron of the city built, the Megakyrioi descendants of the shadowy rulers of the old empire, and their leader, Agamemnon Megakyrios, bowing respectfully before the throne spoke before the archon of Athens on the course the polis should take. The first archon of Athens, who distinctly also held the tile of Basileus of Hellas was Tambien Fotismenos, knowns as the Proto-archon as he was the first archon in all of greece and the first ruler of the first city. For this he was titles Protas.

"Oh Lord Fotismenos, this day is truly glorious for the seed of our rebirth has been planted in this land of plenty. but still much is to be done. I implore you to send out the people to gather grain so that our small population may grow, to enable us to more properly work the land around us.

Furthermore you in your wisdom should train a scout to explore the surrounding lands so we may know of our neighbourhood and set plans for expansion. After the scout is trained surely also you see wisdom in training a worker to till the wheat and in time trellis the vines so our empire may be well sustained.

Also my liege, the scholars tell me that it would be wise to pottery first, for such vessels as they see in their minds would be able to hold the wine, and be a step on the path to gathering it commercialyl. That said practicality is also necessary, so perhaps after pottery we could learn how to mine the hills for resources so that in time, and with further research our artisans can recreate armour and weapons of burnished bronze and recreate the hoplites of old"

after this much debate flowed in the halls of the Anaktoron as the servants of the archon planned out the future of the new city, the first of many greek poleis.

-

NOTES

This period was a time of unity, for the greek people after much tribulation were bound under one Lord, the Archon of Athens. In this time the ruler and hegemon of all the greeks was known as the Basileus. This title was henceforth to be given only to those who succeeded in ruling through hegemony or conquest the entirety of Hellas.

-

image of the environs of Athens.

Spoiler :

are you sure thats wise Tambien, a monument first would take a very long time and would compromise our exploration. A scout first is generally better as it will finish much quicker than a monument. The palace also provides culture enough to sustain us in this extreme early stage especially when we haven't improved anything yet.

Ehh well technically Jehoshua's post shouldn't count, but to liven up the early thread I'll allow non-born players to RP from the stance of a peasant family and earn prestige. They can, however, preform no actions, and their words will not affect the NPCs at all.

Honestly, you should have it like GaP where you existed and could talk and if you said things well enough the NPC's listened to you. Now for the sake of your job you may not want to have what GaP had which is peasants allowed to do political actions, but at the very least you should let them talk and have what they say have some effect on their standing (oration and so forth).

Well it's one of the core mechanics of the game. It emulates real life because it is based on luck of the draw how well off you are at the beginning of the game. Tambien, for example, was born into ruling Athens.

Top Bottom