With salt being buffed isn't it time to reconsider some luxuries?

FeiLing

Deity
It has been discussed for quite a while: Calender resources are considered underpowered especially compared to mining luxuries. Now here are some ideas to make resources more interesting and balanced.

-------------------------------------------------

Ideas that utilize a similar mechanic as the Marble bonus (also giving a notification upon acquiring it):

Citrus - Ships can heal outside of friendly territory (Scurvy mechanics have been suggested for... ever since Citrus was introduced (and before that)) [don't worry about the promotion, nobody has ever picked it anyway].

Stone: +50% production when producing Walls or Castles in this city. (A very minor bonus (Stones aren't really weak), but it greatly increases immersion.

Dyes: Missionaries and Great Prophets are 25% stronger. (Colorful and pretty clothes impress them peasants.)

--------------------------------------------------

Other ideas:

Sugar: Gives 2 more happiness than other luxuries (6 :c5happy:).
That a) makes sense and b) is super fair considering how sugar is a luxury without any bonuses at all and also often appears in marsh tiles on top of it's awfulness. (AI desire for it in trading doesn't have to be altered at all, keep value at 240. If you want to change anything at all then make them ask for sugar first in trades over any other available luxuries if they have a choice).

Cotton, Spices and Silk: I'm suggesting to simply give these +1 gold by default compared to their current state. (sidenote: Silk giving +1 food with Fertilizer is a bit disgusting imho^^)

Furs: +1 food to the default tile yield. In the end it's no difference to Deer, right? Except you get additionally Fur out of killing the animals you're hunting. Also it being mostly available in tundra, it's a much needed buff to Tundra areas/starts.

"Truffles" be changed into "Boars": Read OP here. Everything makes so much sense. (ignore votes, people just don't like changes especially if the posting was too much text to read for them).

And because it's awesomely inspiring (and maybe even time saving) for devs:
Also look at this!

...finally just change this already to this:
Earth Mother: +1 Faith from Copper, Iron, and Salt.
Earth Mother: +2 Faith from Copper and Iron.

Those are pretty good ideas, how about +1 faith to fishing boats on god of the seas?

I think they should add in a whole heap of new resource specific buildings so that

1. Instead of only a few lux resources benefiting from buildings (currently gold,silver,marble), instead ALL of them do.

2. Because it would be a pain to re-allocate and re-balance which resources benefit from which buildings and the problem of double-dipping(if we add a supermarket building like the one in Civ IV, we would potentially have things like deer double-dipping from granary and supermarket), I feel that all resources should get to double-dip.

So here I'll shoot off a few ideas off the top of my head:

Supermarket: Industrial/Modern era building, might give something like +3 gold off of Deer,Sheep,Cattle & Truffles (if it were renamed to Boars)

Grocer: Industrial/Modern era building, +3 gold off Bananas, Wheat, Citrus,

Tailor: +2 gold from Dyes, Silk, Cotton

Spice Merchants: +2 gold from Spices, Sugar, Salt

Fish markets: +2 gold from Fish, Crabs, Whales

Refinery: +2 gold from Coal, Oil, City gets production bonus for making units that require oil.

Electronics plant: +2 production, +2 gold from Copper, Gems(treated as rare earths to fit flavor)

It always struick me that the resource bonuses should be somewhat related to the tech tier required to exploit those resources. For example (this is NOT a suggestion), anything being mined would have a +1 because Mining is on the Tier 1 tech tree, while things requiring a plantation would get a +2 because it would require Calendar, which is Tier 2. Something along those lines.

With Citrus allowing to heal ships outside territory, will that stack with Supply Promotion? After all, them Sea Beggars, right?

With Citrus allowing to heal ships outside territory, will that stack with Supply Promotion? After all, them Sea Beggars, right?

Could finally be treated as a naval March and heal every turn I would think.

Just pointing out that animals hunted for their pelts are usually inedible. Terrible, terrible meat.

Maybe something like extra clothing protections?

Furs: Troops build in cities with Furs gain extra Combat Bonus while fighting in Tundra/Snow/Hills.

Silk: I associate it with lighter, and more porous type of clothing. So maybe combat bonus for units fighting in Desert?

Cotton: This one has me beat. Maybe just a generic 5% across the board? Or like 10% on Plains and Grassland, since they're basically everywhere.

And I always feel like Truffles should also give +1 Food. I mean, if Whales can give bonus to food, why not truffles?

I want more resources added, like the ones in Barathors mod to encourage people to go out, look for new lands with resources that you don't have. In the game I don't think there is enough to really settle for. Plus I wish food resources weren't just sheep, cows, and wheat; put in apples, rice, corn, beans, etc to make it all seem more realistic and diverse

I want more resources added

I like the idea of all resources one base happiness. Luxuries would get an additional happy then each copy after that could be one happy each. It seems silly that one source of gold keeps my 8 cities just as happy as so-and-so's 3 cities. This would allow more trading of resources and end the problem of resource redundancy, I think.

Just pointing out that animals hunted for their pelts are usually inedible. Terrible, terrible meat.

Interesting! Is it just coincidence or is it something to do with the food available to cold-climate critters?

Back on topic, I have to admit I usually start in Classical to avoid the angst of choosing which resource-gathering tech to pick first when confronted with capital that has a sea resource, a mine resource and a plantation resource.....

...finally just change this already to this:
Earth Mother: +1 Faith from Copper, Iron, and Salt.
Earth Mother: +2 Faith from Copper and Iron.

Salt, Iron, Copper tend to appear near desert and tundra, so a player considering Earth Mother is probably weighing it against similar faith yields from Desert Folklore or Aurora, counting hill tiles and projecting city placement and population. It seems like a more interesting choice to me with salt included. If it's just iron and copper then it's not going to compete with those other two.

I like plantations fine as is. But I usually beeline dynamite, so the fertilizer push comes relatively early.

Citrus should make, pre-industrial, ships able to heal up to 50 hp(semi-supply promotion). Since I don't think citrus is any good against structural damage to a ship.

Onboard the Titanic:

"Captain we've just hit an iceberg and we're sinking!"

"Don't worry we got plenty of citruses onboard! Would you like some citrus in your tea, my god sir?"

"Yes, please"

These suggestion aren't bad. But honestly, I think they just need to make another building that enhances luxury resources (like stone works, stable, granary etc) to give them some production or food.

Salt, Iron, Copper tend to appear near desert and tundra, so a player considering Earth Mother is probably weighing it against similar faith yields from Desert Folklore or Aurora, counting hill tiles and projecting city placement and population. It seems like a more interesting choice to me with salt included. If it's just iron and copper then it's not going to compete with those other two.

I like plantations fine as is. But I usually beeline dynamite, so the fertilizer push comes relatively early.

Sounds perfect to me: If you lose out of Desert Folklore you don't have to abandon the game any more, you can take this and still do pretty good. Not 100% as good, but it doesn't have to be just as overpowered as DF already is. Especially as already said, salt in itself is overpowered, so this belief being just as good as DF would be twice as OP :D

Top Bottom