Civ 1 Quiz

stormerne

is just a
Retired Moderator
Let's have a Civ 1 quiz. Here are the rules:
* First of all you have to answer the current question correctly before anyone else does. Wait for the question setter to confirm you're right.
* If you manage that, you win the right to post your own question.
* All questions must be Civ 1 related. People must be able to find the answer by playing the game or reading the manual. You are allowed to ask questions comparing Civ 1 with Civ 2 or 3.
* If no one answers your question correctly within two days, you're allowed to set another.

I'll set the first question.

Some grassland squares have shields on them. In Civ 2, players are often advised to build cities near these squares but not on them. In Civ 1 players are advised instead to build their cities right on top of these shield grassland squares. Why the difference?

Query. Can we just answer the question or once we answer to we have to give our own question upon answering?

Good point.

Unless it's a very obvious answer then it's best to wait until the question setter has checked it before you set your own question.

However, you don't have to set your own question. If you don't want to, just say so when you answer. If you're right, the questioner can set another one.

Yes you are right. Well done. :goodjob: Not everyone knows that.

Your turn to ask a question.

Perhaps people didn't understand what you were saying...

Global warming events keep on happening. The cycle starts over again. The planet achieves equilibrium at the new higher temperatures but if pollution continues another global warming event happens. More coastal swamps and jungle will appear. More non-coastal deserts will appear. This can happen endlessly if the pollution is not controlled.

Well, I'm willing to post a question about civ1 so I'll take GenghisK's turn.

In civ2 you can see it by pressing F3 or looking at the amount of spoons/rockets/muskets in the diplomacy screen, in civ3 you just press F8 and look at the powergraph, but how in civ1 can you see how powerful enemy civs are?

I believe that's Ctrl-3 and it brings up the intelligence advisor who tells you the unit totals for you and all civs you have embassies with :)

I guess I should have been more clear on my question, since you are of course correct gonzo, that indeed pretty much tells you how powerful they are, but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

What I wanted to know is how can you see how strong the computer thinks you and the AI civs are? Let me rephrase the question a little:

You can always see who, according to the computer's calculations, is the most powerful civ in civ1. How? (And not by using the shift 5-6 cheat and show the power graph :) )

Do you mean the drop down menu that shows "Demographics"?

(it's in the "World" menu)

Portuguese: you're correct, that's what I meant, except that I believe the number of advisors of the weakest civ was just a measly 1 (the science dude). Always dreaded the sight of 4 advisors with an AI civ, especially if that civ was the mongols. :)

Your turn to ask a question now.

Yes very easy! A mountain costs three movement points and is the only terrain to be as harsh.

Next question:

"The __________ are conquerors and seek to expand. Perhaps not as dangerous as the Aztecs or Greeks, they are still a threat that must be watched." Who is this?

Top Bottom