Civ 1 Quiz

OK, you play on the earth map and optimize all tiles towards food production. You'd build one city on each continent and that city is located where it gets the maximum possible food. All cities reach the maximum possible number of inhabitants.

On which continent would the city with the most inhabitants be?

When optimizing towards food production also means clearing away the jungle, there are three continents with sites for cities of size 42. North and South America and Africa.
Without clearing away the jungle only North America.

With clearing the jungle - of course - but IIRC there is only one continent with a possible size 42 city (altough it's ten years ago, no problem to get corrected). ;)

You can get 42 in South America as well. (Where that river goes through swamp).
Africa I am not sure (Ive done 42 in Nth & Sth America during my many 'population challenge' games, but guessed I missed the sweet spot in Africa each time!).
42 is the biggest Ive seen. Technically one can go bigger given appropriate terrain, but Ive not seen a map with a better location than those two. Afaik 42 is the biggest you can get on earth.

You and Jan are correct, altough I admit I've been thinking of south america exclusively first. Takes hundreds of years to clear all that Jungle in south america but the sight of the 42 is worth it.

Just looked at Africa on the Earth map, DOS Version and I saw five spots in Africa. If you follow the river in the middle of Africa, I believe you can build a 42 city on the thirth, fourth en fifth part of the river. The spots just below the fourth en fifth part would do as well.

I've never seen a spot on a random map where i could build a 42 city, so I've given op hope on ever building a 43 city. Unlikely anyway, oasis near lots of grassland. And without two areas with plains in the city radius...

But here's my Civ1 question: in theory, the maximum city size is 63 (all oasis). What would be the population of such a city?

A size 63 city would have population 63*64/2*10000 = 20 160 000. Biiiig. Heck, even a size 42 at a measly 9 million is a lot bigger than I want to ever live in myself. :)

hmm, i do believe the previous answer is correct gj...

now hurry up and ask a question so that i can answer it and ask mine, it will be one of the longest/hardest questions asked so far! =)

Two -- no, three! -- problems with that answer (which may be useful tips for other respondents):

1. If you collect 40 resources before collecting 20 extra foods, you simply unsettle the city, don't create a new settler.

2. Resources squares are always at least 3 squares apart. While it's possible to have 2 oily swamps within a city's sphere of influence, if you build a city *on top of* a special, there will be no other special less than a knight's move away.

3. Recall that you always start the game in despotism. Oil patches produce only 3 shields each until monarchy is discovered. (But no, 7 turns isn't the right answer either, for the above 2 reasons.)

And remember.. NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Answer correctly.. or I shall fetch the fluffy pillow!!

Good question! Enjoyed trying to find the best answer.
Best I could come up with is 12 turns. Building a city on a plains with horses, it takes 10 turns to reach pop 2 when using a grassland. If the grassland has production (of course it has (ideal circumstances)), that means 30 production. When the city size reaches 2 you can get 6 production (using two forest squares).
This would mean two turns to reach the 40 resources. So I get to twelve turns.

Ok, ready for the Spanish Inquisition!

Yes, 12 is the best you can do, at least without help from some extra irrigation or something fishy with the spacing of the specials. There are several combinations of forest, grassland, coal, oil and game that can be used to get there in 12 turns.

(You can get to size 2 in seven turns if you have, i.e., build on top of, an irrigated oasis, but to get to 40 resources in 4 more turns you would have to also have an oil patches within range of your city. Normally you'll need 5 turns on forest to reach 40 shields after reaching population 2 in 7 turns.)

Ah, I took a shot.
I couldn't remember having to get to size 2 before building a settler just because I have never been in that situation.

Originally posted by Portuguese
Give us your best shot! :)

You asked for it!!!! :D

What Civilization advances are required to obtain the Armour unit IN ORDER OF RESEARCH. (before listing a technology, you must make sure that all previous technologies required for that technology are already listed.) Also, you must not list technologies that are not required for obtaining armour example: Conscription, communism...etc.

Bonus Points (extra credit): What advances are required to obtain the artillary unit (after getting the armour unit), in order?

Example:

Masonry
Bronze Working
Currency
etc
etc
etc

You got it!

By order:

Masonry
Bronze Working
Currency
Construction
The wheel
Engineering
Iron Working
Bridge Building
Alphabet
Code of Laws (before writing :lol: )
Writing
Literacy
Physics
Invention
Steam Engine
Railroad (before Maths :lol: )
Gunpowder
Mathematics
University
Metallurgy
The Republic
Trade
Banking
Industrialization
Steel
The Corporation
Ceremonial Burial (church only after factory :eek: )
Mysticism
Philosophy
University
Chemistry
Explosives
Refining
Combustion
Automobile

Right?
(OK, I admit I have to take CFC help before I post... :rolleyes: )

Now, someone else leads this to ROBOTICS and asks a new question, OK?

Top Bottom