Rocks 2 Rockets

Hi, for the time being I may decide to play rise to rockets because my regular c2c game is a bit slow when I click on the cities screen, going into the library/encyclopedia or civics or religion screen and battle. the turn times are at least 30 seconds or more until the next turn on a regular size map in the middle/midevil ages for me in regular cave man to cosmos and i am only playing with 5 civalizations. I was wondering if you could put the arcology city ruins back in the game for the next patch or sometime in the future. I really want the arcology ruins to go back in so I am wondering, will you do that? I have the three gigabite switch done for my 2003 dell windows xp computer. I deleted the caveman to cosmos mod but still have my save game witch I am waiting until sea cities and multimaps come out before I possibly decide to play c2c again.

I want to play rise to rockets so that I can play all around faster game that has faster turn times when you click the turn button and doesn't have really any of the issues I mentioned. I was wondering, is there going to be a rise and rockets version with sea cities and mutimaps and galactic era once the regular caveman to cosmo's version comes out with those features?

Why would you need multimaps if there is no real TH and Galactic era?
Also, I am not sure how often Rocks 2 Rockets is updated. Recent changes have improved C2C speed and memory usage A LOT, so that ironically C2C is now probably faster than R2R :D The next release version of C2C is coming out soon (1st Oct I think). You should test it, 3 GB *should* be enough for a smooth gameplay (even without viewports).

Hi guys! I'm playing R2R (all patched til 0.3 version, BtS with all patch) but I've found a repeateable crash. When I click enter at the end of the turn, screen crash to desktop. :( I don't think it's a maf problem. It happens in the early part of the game, on a standard map with 18 civ. Memory usage is really good til now.

I changed some XML from the original version but til now I didn't have problems. I've tried deleting all enemies cities and it works. It could be a problem with some Civ?

I posted the savegame. Could someone explain me? I don't think it can be a problem of XML because I played til modern times til few days ago! I always check the xml work well, so really I don't know what can be. :(

I'm not experienced with Python or .dll, so, if someone could help, would be appreciated! :D

Attachments

• Franklin D. Roosevelt BC-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • MiniDump.rar
    11.6 KB · Views: 62
Hi guys! I'm playing R2R (all patched til 0.3 version, BtS with all patch) but I've found a repeateable crash. When I click enter at the end of the turn, screen crash to desktop. :( I don't think it's a maf problem. It happens in the early part of the game, on a standard map with 18 civ. Memory usage is really good til now.

I changed some XML from the original version but til now I didn't have problems. I've tried deleting all enemies cities and it works. It could be a problem with some Civ?

I posted the savegame. Could someone explain me? I don't think it can be a problem of XML because I played til modern times til few days ago! I always check the xml work well, so really I don't know what can be. :(

I'm not experienced with Python or .dll, so, if someone could help, would be appreciated! :D

Based on the name of the dump file I'm assuming r2r as some way behind on DLL version relative to c2c? If someone knows what rev of the DLL it was I might be able to interpret the dump...?

Based on the name of the dump file I'm assuming r2r as some way behind on DLL version relative to c2c? If someone knows what rev of the DLL it was I might be able to interpret the dump...?

What you need to understand what kind of DLL it was? Could help the CvGamecore.dll? :)

Ok. Here is the file. I hope it will be useful. Thanks! :D

Doesn't help I'm afraid. What I need is the PDB file that corresponds to that DLL. I can get that from the SVN if we can figure out which SVN rev that DLL came from. The date on the DLL suggests early April, but it's size doesn't match the SVN DLL from that date, so it's not that one.

God-Emperor might know, but probably nobody else does...

It does not match any C2C revision. It started out as the v26 DLL but has had bugfixes, speed and memory efficiency improvements, AI adjustments, and some other modifications from SVN revisions up past v29 (I think). For v0.3 I processed SVN revisions up through 4848, however a lot of stuff was skipped. In particular, R2R does not have any of the combat mod related changes incorporated. It has also had a couple of bugfixes done that are differently from C2C and mnight ahve one or two that are not in C2C - in particular there were a couple to fix bugs discovered in R2R right before v0.3 came out which I'm not sure what revison of C2C the bugfixes correspond to (I seem to recall at least one of them being fixed in C2C not too long after that, but the fix may be different).

Therefore the R2R DLL is not equivalent to any C2C DLL. The source for R2R's DLL is included with the mod, so if someone really wanted to they could build a debug version for themselves.

I have grabbed the posted save and mini-dump but have not had the time to look at them yet. I'll probably look at them before the weekend.

(I had been thinking of releasing a v0.4 patch this weekend. We shall see how that goes. My own current "release candidate" DLL has processed up through C2C SVN version 4997 for bugfixes and speed/memory/AI improvements, but I was hoping to get a few more done before the next release. I have even been considering "jumping ahead" to get the new dynamic graphics stuff, but that will probably have to wait for the next release after this.)

It does not match any C2C revision. It started out as the v26 DLL but has had bugfixes, speed and memory efficiency improvements, AI adjustments, and some other modifications from SVN revisions up past v29 (I think). For v0.3 I processed SVN revisions up through 4848, however a lot of stuff was skipped. In particular, R2R does not have any of the combat mod related changes incorporated. It has also had a couple of bugfixes done that are differently from C2C and mnight ahve one or two that are not in C2C - in particular there were a couple to fix bugs discovered in R2R right before v0.3 came out which I'm not sure what revison of C2C the bugfixes correspond to (I seem to recall at least one of them being fixed in C2C not too long after that, but the fix may be different).

Therefore the R2R DLL is not equivalent to any C2C DLL. The source for R2R's DLL is included with the mod, so if someone really wanted to they could build a debug version for themselves.

I have grabbed the posted save and mini-dump but have not had the time to look at them yet. I'll probably look at them before the weekend.

(I had been thinking of releasing a v0.4 patch this weekend. We shall see how that goes. My own current "release candidate" DLL has processed up through C2C SVN version 4997 for bugfixes and speed/memory/AI improvements, but I was hoping to get a few more done before the next release. I have even been considering "jumping ahead" to get the new dynamic graphics stuff, but that will probably have to wait for the next release after this.)

Ok - I guess you have the matching PDB for the released DLL then, so you should be able to check out the minidump. Let me know if there is anything you need me to do.

I have run the save and it does not crash for me with the regular v0.3 version of R2R.

It swaps out 2 (or 3?) civs and 2 (or 3?) leaders for 2 other civs and leaders (so you obviously are using non-standard civs and leaders as some of your changes). The Iroquois changed a bunch of civics during the first end turn. Other than that, essentially nothing happened in the known area, although the other civs may have finished building things in their cities and had to pick new things, and may have been forced to stop building, or not choose to build, something that only exists in your custom assets.

I ran 3 more turns after that (just clicking on end turn, although there was nothing else that came up to do anyway) and it did not crash.

So the problem is either in your modified XML or there is something going on that is not certain to happen, something dependent on the random numbers, and therefore didn't due to my run using a different random number generator seed, causing whatever it was to not happen, or perhaps some sort of a MAF issue although even using a debug DLL it is evidently using less than 1GB of memory so it doesn't seem likely. Have you tried running the save a few times? If it is something random this would indicate as much if it lets you get past the end of this turn at least once.

The minidump seemed to indicate that it tried to access memory location 0, which is bad. I couldn't tell anything further from the minidump due to issues with using the minidump, resulting in no symbols being loaded for the DLL, that I don't know how to solve...

Koshling: the path to the DLL stored in the minidump is very different. VS comes up with a "no such binary file" (or something equivalent to that) message for the DLL and does not load the PDB. Is there some way to change where it is looking within Visual Studio or does it require making an alias that points to some location where a copy of the DLL and PDB are located? The path in the minidump is not just in a different folder, but also on a different drive which does actually conflict with my optical drive (since it is D:\whatever...) and therefore the SUBST command in DOS should not work - if there hadn't been a conflict I would have just tried setting it up via a SUBST (or just made the folders and copied the DLL and PDB over if on a drive letter I already use). I tried defining the path to the PDB file in the Symbol Settings screen and doing a right-click "Load Symbols From -> Symbol Path" on the DLL's entry on the Modules screen but that did not change anything. Any suggestions?

Edit:
Koshling: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. Since I expected to run the savegame and debug it, I moved the debug DLL and PDB over into the Assets folder. This, naturally, failed to match the minidump. Put the non-debug DLL and PDB back and the minidump loads it just fine.

emidurand: So it turns out the crash is in CvPlayer::getUnitButton for unit type 173. It is trying to get this to show the icon on the city's billboard on the map. Unfortuantely translating that "173" to an actual unit type is not so easy, especially since you are using modified assets.

So it is evidently a bad unit button definition, quite possibly for a unit in your modified XML although it is not impossible for it to be a standard R2R unit especially if it is something like a special unit for a culture that is rarely obtained.

So check you unit button definitions.

By the way, in regards to the actual game itself, you should at least settle (or already have done so) on the tundra on the coast right next to the iron and fur and mammoths and pearls. Once the borders expand it would also have the lobsters and a second fur. Tundra cities in R2R are not nearly as bad as in BtS since you can get so much food and production from buildings. And you'd have iron. I did this and got iron on turn 142 sending just one of the two workers with the settler, archer, dog, watchman, and javelineer (promoted to arctic combat 1) which were all built after rushing Archimedes workshop and building some of the cheap production increasing buildings.

Also, you might want to use some of the animals in your city. You could make a herd of horses and a herd of deer (each give 1 food and 1 production, plus unlocking a building or two for a gold and a food, not to mention allowing the buildings necessary for producing horse units). It's too late to make the myths for any of them, but you can make a rodent enclosure and a big cat enclosure, and possible also a governor's pets or something.

You've founded Mormonism and have 3 great prophets in your city but have not built the shrine which gives +2 gold and +1 research per city with the religion.

Bumping up your research slider's percentage cuts a turn off your next tech, too.

I have run the save and it does not crash for me with the regular v0.3 version of R2R.

It swaps out 2 (or 3?) civs and 2 (or 3?) leaders for 2 other civs and leaders (so you obviously are using non-standard civs and leaders as some of your changes). The Iroquois changed a bunch of civics during the first end turn. Other than that, essentially nothing happened in the known area, although the other civs may have finished building things in their cities and had to pick new things, and may have been forced to stop building, or not choose to build, something that only exists in your custom assets.

I ran 3 more turns after that (just clicking on end turn, although there was nothing else that came up to do anyway) and it did not crash.

So the problem is either in your modified XML or there is something going on that is not certain to happen, something dependent on the random numbers, and therefore didn't due to my run using a different random number generator seed, causing whatever it was to not happen, or perhaps some sort of a MAF issue although even using a debug DLL it is evidently using less than 1GB of memory so it doesn't seem likely. Have you tried running the save a few times? If it is something random this would indicate as much if it lets you get past the end of this turn at least once.

The minidump seemed to indicate that it tried to access memory location 0, which is bad. I couldn't tell anything further from the minidump due to issues with using the minidump, resulting in no symbols being loaded for the DLL, that I don't know how to solve...

Koshling: the path to the DLL stored in the minidump is very different. VS comes up with a "no such binary file" (or something equivalent to that) message for the DLL and does not load the PDB. Is there some way to change where it is looking within Visual Studio or does it require making an alias that points to some location where a copy of the DLL and PDB are located? The path in the minidump is not just in a different folder, but also on a different drive which does actually conflict with my optical drive (since it is D:\whatever...) and therefore the SUBST command in DOS should not work - if there hadn't been a conflict I would have just tried setting it up via a SUBST (or just made the folders and copied the DLL and PDB over if on a drive letter I already use). I tried defining the path to the PDB file in the Symbol Settings screen and doing a right-click "Load Symbols From -> Symbol Path" on the DLL's entry on the Modules screen but that did not change anything. Any suggestions?

Edit:
Koshling: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. Since I expected to run the savegame and debug it, I moved the debug DLL and PDB over into the Assets folder. This, naturally, failed to match the minidump. Put the non-debug DLL and PDB back and the minidump loads it just fine.

emidurand: So it turns out the crash is in CvPlayer::getUnitButton for unit type 173. It is trying to get this to show the icon on the city's billboard on the map. Unfortuantely translating that "173" to an actual unit type is not so easy, especially since you are using modified assets.

So it is evidently a bad unit button definition, quite possibly for a unit in your modified XML although it is not impossible for it to be a standard R2R unit especially if it is something like a special unit for a culture that is rarely obtained.

So check you unit button definitions.

First, thank you for your accurated report. :) I was thinking it's strange the Unitbutton problem. I've never changed think concerning graphic, icon or similar things. I changed only XML. For unit especially I made really few changes, about some combat strenght and some change in the upgrade list (swordsman to arquebusiers, not to minuteman or musketeers, for example). Not any new units, new icons or other. I changed something in the promotions XML but no other changes. But surely I'll retake original XML and I'll recompilate all. :/ I think with the originals all should be well.
Just a question: there is a way to understand at which unit correspond the type 173? If I never change or added units, it should referring to the original unit, isn't it?

Just a question: there is a way to understand at which unit correspond the type 173? If I never change or added units, it should referring to the original unit, isn't it?

I thought it might say in the PythonDbg.log file but it doesn't:(. It does for terrains and bonuses.

In retrospect, it might also be a civilization that has a bad unit art define type since that is involved in what the line of code was doing. So if you added any civilizations, check their UnitArtStyleType tags. Make sure any referenced art define tags in the appropriate CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml point to real art defines with correct button definitions. It doesn't seem likely, but it is possible that there is some reference in there that is bad in regular R2R - perhaps a unit art style type that R2R doesn't actually use.

Since it did not crash for me and my assets are not exactly the same it is hard to know if the problem is in R2R or in your stuff. Not only did it not crash for me, I actually played up to turn 200 or so without any problems.

Also, translating that "unit 173" to what it is is very hard to do in a minidump, as far as I know, since the game isn't really running so you can't actually run any of the functions to look it up. A debug DLL actually lists all that stuff in the output window of Visual Studio if it is attached when loading the data, from which I can see that it appears to be UNIT_JAVELINEER in the unmodified assets. I don't see anything wrong with that anywhere in the regular unit art style stuff.

Rocks 2 Rockets Patch v0.4 is now available here.

It is cumulative, so you don't need patch v0.1, v0.2, or v0.3 as everything in them is in this.

A variety of adjustments, mostly small, have been made to the content. Some are bug fixes, some are balance changes, and some are just because I felt like it. A list is given in the download description and in the included Patch v0.4 Notes.txt file.

As mentioned on the download page, there is a little new content which includes a new map script: R2R_Erebus_1_09R. This is a tweaked version of the Erebus map script from Fall from Heaven 2 which includes provisions for all the extra terrains and such in R2R. (And yes, I know having both the "R2R" prefix and the "R" suffix to indicate that it is a version for R2R is redundant.) I find this to be an interesting map to play on. It is not quite as closed in by peaks as the original, it does not fill in all the little gaps in the masses of peaks that can't be reached initially since they can be reached after the Mountaineering tech and via some other means, and a few other tweaks to the actual map generation in addition to adding the R2R things to it.

The R2R DLL is now up to C2C revision 5148 plus the bugfix in 5208 (the intervening DLL revisions are not yet in) for purposes of bug fixes and optimizations, which is slightly past v29 of C2C. (The note a few posts back about where v0.3 was in C2C revisions is incorrect - it was about half way between v28 and v29.)

I still strongly recommend not using the "stack attack" option available on the DCM tab of the BUG options. It's functionality is not quite the same as the regular attack. This should be fixed eventually.

Tried out the mapscript R2R_Erebus_1_09R, bu tit put the Civs WAAAY to close to each other, in the attached i had 5 civs just in that square area, on a Gigantic map??

Any way to put a tile limit space apart, in the python someplace??

Tried out the mapscript R2R_Erebus_1_09R, bu tit put the Civs WAAAY to close to each other, in the attached i had 5 civs just in that square area, on a Gigantic map??

Any way to put a tile limit space apart, in the python someplace??

It is pretty random. Sometimes they are close, sometimes they are spread out all over the map. Look at a few more and you should see what I mean.

On the other hand I only see 3 civs in your screen shot - two towards the bottom (purple and blue, based on the circle colors) and one up by the upper left of the WB toolbar (yellow). The bottom two are quite close for such a large map, but the yellow one is not as close as it seems due to the mountain ranges blocking direct travel for the most part, limiting the connection to one gap in the peaks. It is even possible that some civs that appear close to each other are, due to peaks and ocean, blocked of completely from each other until ships or mountaineering or until they have units that can travel through mountains via the mountain leader promotion, or things like that.

There is a mechanism for setting some preference values for things like the importance of distance in the placement - this isn't a hard limit, just a weight that influences the value of a region when placing them on the map (this was in the original Erebus script and is how it influences the placement of the various FfH2 civs with their widely varied characteristics). I even added an additional system for terrain and feature preferences. However, none of this is actually in use at this time. All the civs currently use the default settings.

If you wanted them to prefer to be farther apart, you could change the default weight for distance. Changing it from 2.0 to 3.0 would give them a significantly greater preference for being spread out.

These are the defaults as set in the __init__ function of the CivPreferences class:
self.idealAltitude = 0.35
self.idealMoisture = 0.7
self.needCoastalStart = False
self.allowForestStart = False
self.altitudeWeight = 1.0
self.distanceWeight = 2.0 #distance is most important for generic civs
self.regionType = "None" # QoW

So they all want the same things. Note that they do try to spread out due to the distanceWeight being set to 2, but since all the other preferences are the same they do still value the regions the same which tends to resist that preference. In general, they are going to want a grassland (with the occasional lush and a little muddy and even the occasional marsh plot) area due to that 0.7 moisture level, and all around the same altitude (which is semi-random in arrangement, but the water plots are all set to 0 and it tends to go up as you move away). This leads them to "clump up" in the greener areas of the map and mostly, but not all, in the regions next to the water areas. If all the "good" regions are taken, then the later ones will get spread out a bit more - it depends on the number of areas matching the preferences vs. the number of civilizations. Frequently there is enough that they can all get those green areas, but not always.

I may go through all the R2R civs and add preferences at some point, but currently it is just using the default values for all of them. There are some region types defined but since the civs don't have the basic preferences defined none of them have preferred region types either. They don't all need to be defined so I might just start with a few that should be on the coast and a few other historical placement types, like Mongols on plains, Egypt in the desert, and Incas amongst peaks. If just one or two of the civs on a map had preferences that were different, the rest would tend to have the room to be more spread out across the areas matching the default preferences.

If anybody feels like defining some preferences for civilizations it would be done in the GetCivPreferences function. There is a commented out example in there. The new region type data has some explanation of what the values mean in the __init__ function of the new CivRegionType class and there are already some types defined in the GetRegionTypes function.

On the other hand I only see 3 civs in your screen shot - two towards the bottom (purple and blue, based on the circle colors) and one up by the upper left of the WB toolbar (yellow). The bottom two are quite close for such a large map, but the yellow one is not as close as it seems due to the mountain ranges blocking direct travel for the most part, limiting the connection to one gap in the peaks. It is even possible that some civs that appear close to each other are, due to peaks and ocean, blocked of completely from each other until ships or mountaineering or until they have units that can travel through mountains via the mountain leader promotion, or things like that.

If you wanted them to prefer to be farther apart, you could change the default weight for distance. Changing it from 2.0 to 3.0 would give them a significantly greater preference for being spread out.

These are the defaults as set in the __init__ function of the CivPreferences class:
self.idealAltitude = 0.35
self.idealMoisture = 0.7
self.needCoastalStart = False
self.allowForestStart = False
self.altitudeWeight = 1.0
self.distanceWeight = 2.0 #distance is most important for generic civs
self.regionType = "None" # QoW

Yeah i deleted some of the civs in that pic, and placed them in a different area.:p

Good in here, thx.

Question for ya, on the mapsript for your modmod, do you think it would be OK to incorporate some of them into C2C also??

Also i have a few mapscripts i am working on, and i cant figure out heads nor tails on this one about continents, it says all kinds of stuff about it, but when i try to get continent in it, all i get is a map that is all together.

Top Bottom