Civ1 DOS Succession Game!

cliff, you're on the list now.
I'll play tonight probably.
I have a bunch of floppys with the saves renamed better, and I just copy to my hard drive (and rename)if I want to play them.

3700 -- change workers from grass to horse
3600 -- Bangkok builds settler, starts militia
militia pops hut-Currency
3520 -- found Da Nang
3460 -- Bangkok builds militia, starts settler
3440 -- militia pops hut-50g
I played about 20 turns, but nothing was really happening, so...

Post save recon indicates a hut just out of sight NE of Bangkok. I would send the new settler there, then to a rivered 3+ special site W of the other cities. It's the spot marked with a city, right below the militia.

Originally posted by Bob_Smurf
Post save recon indicates a hut just out of sight NE of Bangkok. I would send the new settler there, then to a rivered 3+ special site W of the other cities. It's the spot marked with a city, right below the militia.

The beauty of succession games for me is that they are great ways to learn to play better. So am not going to be embarrassed to ask you, Bob, to please say a little more about what is written in the quote above.

1. What is a "rivered 3+ special site?" Is the 3+ indicative of how much food or shields is there?

2. And your city that is marked has no name. You suggest sending a settler there. Why, if there is already a city?

Hope you don't mind the questions. I am not the best civ player so your answers will help me.

Thanks,
stwils:)

:D:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Glad I can help you out, stwils.
Nothing much was happenning, which is why I played 20 turns instead of 15. After I saved, I just kept playing, and when the settler came out, I sent him NE to reveal the rest of Bangkok's radius. That's what I ment by "post-save recon." I normally wouldn't say anything, but the hut us literally two squares amay from our city, and I didn't want to think of how long we could go without knowing it was there. But I don't think that's what you're confused about.

rivered 3+ special site
marked by a city
*Rivered because a river goes through it.
*3+ special indicates that there is at least 3 "specials", or special resources, in the city radius. EDIT: "3+ special" is one phrase, maybe that was unclear. It's not a "3+ something" site that's really special.:D
*Note that I said marked by a city. The city icon was added after I took the screenshot, to indicate where the city should be placed. The grid was added to show the three specials inside the city radius. As I was posting, I realized I probably should have just put the grid and said "right below the milita," but I had already taken the screenshot, and didn't want to do it again.

The next players will have to make their own decisions, but my suggestions are different from Bob_Smurf's.

First of all, I think it's an important lesson that we haven't found that hut already. Look at Bangkok's city area and you'll see it's not all uncovered. Why not? It could have been. Then we would have seen the hut there and used it. More importantly, since we haven't uncovered all of the city area it means we can't use those resources yet. My suggestion is uncover all the city areas as soon as possible.

Secondly, I would not build a city where Bob suggests. If you do that, you will leave a corridor of two squares between the two cities unused. It's difficult to use those squares successfully but an enemy might sneak in there. Why not get the city areas next to each other? I suggest it matters more than getting a triple resource city and we'll get more cities in for the same land mass. Other cities can use the specials. I suggest building a city two squares to the left of Bob's site.

Thirdly, I wouldn't make the next city there anyway. I would build a port on shield grassland to the south-west of Bangkok. There are two attractive sites there: one gives a slight overlap of city radii; the other a slight hole. Or on the north-western peninsula. Either way, a port is important early in the game for trade arrows off the sea to push science along.

Ah, yes, I'll agree with you on all points there.
1-I (or siegmund)*should* have moved that militia to uncover the hut first. It was :wallbash:when I finally found it.
2-Yes, you're probably right. The enemy shouldn't be founding cities that close anyway, He shouldn't even be able to get into there, and I don't know if that will give too much more cities, but still, that river would be unused, and overall your site is better.
3-I agree, a port city is important in many ways, esp. in the early game.

I agree with stormerne with respect to the city placement near the river. I've always been one who tries to keep a grid of cities which are 4 to 5 squares apart, using all available terrain with as little overlap as possible.

Also, based upon Bob_Smurf's screenshot it looks like Da Nang was founded just north of the coal SW of Bangkok so a nearby port city would have to go NW or NE; going NW, the Northernmost bonus grassland or possibly a square just N or NW of it would be excellent IMHO

"Post save recon?":mad:

Doing any of this is a major no-no in any succession game I've been in - and *posting* about it is an even bigger one. We'll get around to uncovering all of the map sooner or later - meanwhile, fog is fog. When there are only one or two active units it takes some time to uncover it all - I think this would have taken care of itself in another few turns.

As for the 3-special city site ... yeah, its a nice site... but I'd put the next settler at one of the sites closer to the capital, and decide on whether to use the special site or just normal spacing after we've seen another 10 or 15 turns worth of the map.

I don't have time to play right now so bump me to the back of the list.

Was at a bowling tourney all weekend, should be ready for play this week.

OK.

Waiting for:
*Irish Caesar
*addiv

If nothing heard by noon Tuesday (British Summer Time) I'll take the next go and post by Tuesday evening.

oh, I saw the list, I guess it's probably my turn now (if Irish Caesar does not play). If he hasn't replied at noon tomorrow, I will download the game and play the next 15 turns.
Is that okay with you guys?

addiv--Playlist updated, it's your turn now.
Siegmund--Consider this: in this case, should what I posted matter? Shouldn't the next player(or you and I, for that matter) have uncovered the city radius first thing?

Bob_smurf: "Should what I posted matter?"

One of my day jobs is as a tournament director for a bridge club. The laws of bridge include a section that distinguishes between "authorized information" and "unauthorized information" and imposes severe restrictions on the recipient of the latter. The rule in bridge can be paraphrased as "if there is more than one approximately equally appealing move available, you are forbidden to make the one suggested by the UI." We didn't agree on any special rules before we started, and I am certainly not claiming bridge rules apply to civ. The next player can do as he wishes. But if I personally were next to play I would now feel an ethical obligation to avoid the hut as long as I reasonably could (probably until Bangkok produced its next military unit, which could sensibly exit the city in a new direction.) So, to me, the answer to "did it matter?" is "yes - it has forced the postponement of a discovery that might have been about to happen right away if you'd not said anything."

Should the city radius have been uncovered first thing? Debatable. Since there can't be a special resource on the hidden square anyway, Bangkok has no need to work that square anytime in the next few millenia.

Originally posted by Siegmund

Should the city radius have been uncovered first thing? Debatable. Since there can't be a special resource on the hidden square anyway, Bangkok has no need to work that square anytime in the next few millenia.

Siegmund, as I said earlier, SGs for me are great learning tools. So I want to ask you about saying there would be no special resource on the hidden square. You are referring to the hut we don't see, but which Bob uncovered after he played his turn? Are special resources never "under" the hut after it is popped?

stwils

All right, I played the next 15 turns, it's 3140 BC now. Quite a lot happened:

3400: bought Settler in Bangkok to speed up our expansion
3380: 1. Bangkok builds Settler 2. Militia pops goody hut - Horseman (NONE) 3. Settler from Bangkok moves North-East. Surprise! A goody hut!
3360: 1. Settler pops hut - finds Legion (supported by Bangkok)
2. Bangkok has a supporting problem now so the worker is moved to the wood 3. Horseman finds Egyptian capital of Thebes. 4. I talk to the Egyptians (they have 2 advisors in the background). I give them Mapmaking in exchange for Pottery. I make a peace treaty.
3340: I don't attack Thebes as they might have bronze working
3300: Khon Kaen founded (btw Da Nang is not in Thailand). I needed to found a city quick because of Bangkok's production problem. The city radius is exactly bordering Bangkok's city radius and the city is a port!
3240: Horseman pops another goody hut - Masonry (damn! that was what we were researching!)
3220: I start researching The Wheel to be able to finish of the Egyptians quick, and also because I prefer Chariots to Catapults.
3180: Horseman pops yet another hut - Mathematics this time
I meet a Mongol militia, talk to the Mongols (they have 3 advisors in the background). I give them mathematics in exchange for Ceremonial Burial. I don't continue to exchange techs because the only other technology they can offer is Horseback Riding, which doesn't seem very useful to me.
3140: I move the worker in Da Nang to a grassland-with-shield tile because the city needed more food to reach size 2 before building the settler.

Some advises for the next player:

- when you get the wheel, start building some chariots to finish the Egyptians off, should be easy. Maybe even the Mongols after that!
- maybe start building Pyramids (very useful in civ 1 because we can switch to communism very early)
- expand fast! Maybe build some triremes as I've explored about the entire continent I think, it's not very large.

BTW: the game is on page 3 of this thread!

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 345
Top Bottom