Marathon

Marathon-hugemaps-gigantic maps like YnaEMP from Gedemon. Raging barbs-legendary resources-prince or King.

Not much for finishing a game at marathon, but find the game very interesting starting about rennaisance. You dont want to have raging barbs on with less than about 8 or 9 civs though. They eventually come in groups of about 12 to 16.

Originally posted by PhroX
I loved Marathon back on Civ 4, but in 5 it's kinda boring, particularly early on, thanks to the really slow build times. Epic on the other hand feels about right for me, although I wouldn't mind tech being a bit slower.
I agree that Civ 4 was much better early game marathon, especially with the New Dawn mod where civs were automatically at war with each other until I believe writing. I think in civ 5 something similar, or at least the option of something similar should be available. In 5 the ai is just too damn passive against the human player unless that player is completely vulnerable. And I will reiterate here as I have stated elsewhere, ancient military units should be more quickly produced, and with less upkeep, or more income needs to be available, and barbarians should be un-nerfed. The game barbarians are an insult to the actual barbarians that raped and pillaged at will for thousands of years. I think these changes would make early marathon games much more interesting to more people. I am fine with tech and building lengths.

The ONLY way to avoid that kind of travel interruptus is to actually move the units, one turn at a time.
i dont see any problem with route interruption. just keep your routes clear, it was always essential for any empire.

I play exclusively marathon. I just love the immersion. One thing that has always bugged me though, everything is more expensive to buy EXCEPT CS influence (and research agreements I think). It isn't scaled right. You get the same amount of influence spending the same amount of gold on CSs as standard speed. Thus, you can pay 1000 gold for the maximum amount of influence with a CS in marathon while a settler will cost over 1100 gold. It doesn't make sense.

I play exclusively marathon. I just love the immersion. One thing that has always bugged me though, everything is more expensive to buy EXCEPT CS influence (and research agreements I think). It isn't scaled right. You get the same amount of influence spending the same amount of gold on CSs as standard speed. Thus, you can pay 1000 gold for the maximum amount of influence with a CS in marathon while a settler will cost over 1100 gold. It doesn't make sense.

I thought the amount of influence you receive was scaled? There are definitely some things that aren't scaled though. Gold cost for open borders and accepting an embassy for one.

I thought the amount of influence you receive was scaled? There are definitely some things that aren't scaled though. Gold cost for open borders and accepting an embassy for one.

its scaled by agreement duration

I played a few standard games on prince until I had the hang of what was in the game and how it worked... and since then, it's all huge maps and marathon speeds. It can take a couple weeks to finish the game, but I like it that way.

The early build times aren't a problem, since I just remind myself the AI is dealing with the same thing (for the most part). It just means I get that many more turns out of whatever it is I choose to build until the next thing comes on line, making each choice more meaningful.

Like so many others in this thread, I love that units don't go obsolete a few turns after I build them.

I even like the length of time it takes to complete a game. I'll be at work, doing some of the more manual aspects of my job, thinking about the game, and I'll have strategic inspirations that simply don't come while I'm sitting there clicking "next turn" waiting for the next thing to come on line.

I mostly play standard but I recently started a 22-civ YnAEMP game as China on Marathon. It takes ages but the immersion factor is great. So far I control China Proper, Mongolia, Manchuria, Japan and Southeast Asia. Next step is the conquest of Eurasia!

I mostly play standard but I recently started a 22-civ YnAEMP game as China on Marathon. It takes ages but the immersion factor is great. So far I control China Proper, Mongolia, Manchuria, Japan and Southeast Asia. Next step is the conquest of Eurasia!

If I may, what's YnAEMP?

Top Bottom