natural wonder placement on maps

darden

Chieftain
am I just having a string of bad luck, or is there some map logic in the game that generates most natural wonders within City State borders?

feels like in every game I've played, nearly all of the natural wonders are sitting inside (or one tile outside) of City State borders. my last game map included Lake Victoria, El Dorado, and the Fountain of Youth... all of which were occupied by city states. :lol:

just curious if it's actual intentional map generation behavior or dumb luck.

The RNG tries to make it so Major civs start away from NW's, which by default makes the CS's spawn closer to them.

When picking the major players starting positions, they aren't allowed to be within 4 tiles of a natural wonder.
When picking the city states starting positions, they aren't allowed to be adjoining the natural wonder but can start two tiles away.

This can actually be moded.

I've always thought it was on purpose to give incentive to actually conquer a city-state. I mean, if you are going to take the massive diplo hit and give up the opportunity for alliance bonuses, you may as well get a decent natural wonder out of it :)

Although it seems I've had some luck or something has changed recently in a patch or something, because I've been finding that I am able to get settlers out and buy up CS luxury/naturals tiles before they can close borders around it. Maybe a change in how the auto-governor deal chooses new tiles?

Top Bottom