Ideologies for City States

CaptainPatch

Lifelong gamer
Just idle thought meanderings.

Looking back over the Cold War and after in the Real World, I note the "proxy wars" that the USA and USSR kept provoking around the world. Also the incredible amount of Foreign Aid those two showered on minor nations around the world. One of the things I noted was that quite often (usually?), if a minor nation was getting hefty Foreign Aid from one, they weren't getting hefty Foreign Aid from the other. And that generally coincided with the minor nation being either pro-Communist (or anti-Capitalist/Democracy) or pro-Capitalist/Democracy (or anti-Communist). For example, look at North versus South Korea and North versus South Vietnam.

In Civ V game terms for example, I could see that reality mirrored by assigning Ideologies to City States. A Freedom-oriented CS would be predisposed to cooperate with a Freedom-oriented civ; less so for Autocratic-oriented civs; and perhaps downright hostile towards Order-oriented civs. The effects of these attitudes would be just how much Influence would be awarded for money gifts, unit donations, etc. Also, the Influence degradation rate would vary according to the relationship.

Of course, if this idea would be implemented, it would be beneficial to the player to do some really long term planning, laying groundwork with the CSs such that they eventually adopt the Ideology their civ will eventually adopt when the time comes

Absolutely I totally agree

This would be really interesting and doesn't seem incredibly hard to implement, especially if it was just in name only and for diplo reasons.

Ideology is a culture thing, making it a diplomatic thing too would put too much weight on it. Then you'd need a strong tourism too to influence city states.

Ideology is a culture thing, making it a diplomatic thing too would put too much weight on it. Then you'd need a strong tourism too to influence city states.

Ideologies are already diplomatic though from civ to civ. This would just be extending it to CS, which I don't think takes anything away from diplo victory. The victory is easy enough as is.

What I would like to see.

CS start randomly adopting their initial Ideology as civs enter the Modern Era

If a Civ has a different Ideology from a CS, then there is a 25% penalty to Influence from GoldGifts/UnitGifts/Quests/Rigged Elections/Gunpowder Diplomacy/Treaty Organization

If you Coup/Liberate a CS, their Ideology changes to yours.

Sounds like a great idea to me! Wish Firaxis would work on this stuff instead of trying to sell us crap map packs...

Sounds like a great idea to me! Wish Firaxis would work on this stuff instead of trying to sell us crap map packs...

Well they did have a free patch which overhauled 2 civs... and improved tourism (among other things)

This is an awesome idea. It could really add some spice to diplomatic victory. Imagine trying to convince communist/capitalist nations to vote for a fascist world leader.

The details would need to be hammered out carefully though.

Top Bottom