Aircraft carrier promotion

arun

Chieftain
Civ 5 manual says that a carrier's capacity can be increased by Flight Deck promotion. But how can a carrier earn experience without being able to attack by itself? One way of gaining exp I found is to move the carrier near enemy unit/city and let it get attacked. But this does not seem right. Is there any other way?

Only when built with baracks ect., SoPos and national wonders.

This is indeed a very limiting factor. This is why I think, the carrier should get some anit-air deffense capability (alongwith the gatting gun and MG, by the way) to gather at least some XP.

Another possibility that comes into my mind: Carriers could gather a small ammount of XP (1, maybe 2 XP), ervery time an aircraft starts from the carrier with a specific task (= attack, intercept or air superiority strike; so, not when re-basing, of course.)

Hahaha. Not only is the act of trying to get shot by weak stuff to gain xp pretty idiotic - so is the idea of there being an upgrade to enable more plane capacity of a carrier... like how? They build a second floor on it? :D

Sure it's a game, but it is a bit funny if you think about it.
I think it would be a better game mechanic to give planes a promotion that makes them take only 0.5 slots.
That would work on carriers but also on the new city limit which is a nice side effect.

Spoiler :
(...because: I believe it was added to prevent the AI to put like 30 planes in a single city as it's a another form of a annoying carpet of doom and also it's too easy to wipe that out with a single nuke. When they introduced this though there were some people that hated it because apparently they liked to do the same thing in their marathon super duper play 2000 turns and own every single tile games. Because I myself never had more than 10 Bombers ever in this game, so the city limit doesn't really effect people that played to win (asap) in the first place. With that new 0.5 slot promotion for planes those "endless players" needs would be suited better as well.)

I think it would be a better game mechanic to give planes a promotion that makes them take only 0.5 slots.
That would work on carriers but also on the new city limit which is a nice side effect.

And how is that making more sense than to current carrier mechanic?

Hahaha. Not only is the act of trying to get shot by weak stuff to gain xp pretty idiotic - so is the idea of there being an upgrade to enable more plane capacity of a carrier... like how? They build a second floor on it? :D

You know there are elevators to below-deck vehicle storage and maintenance, right. Newer carriers like the Gerald Ford have larger such areas, thus yielding more room for vehicles.

It also has the new electromagnetic catapult so it can launch more sorties over 24 hour periods, a re-designed flight deck for better use of space, and a taco bell.

You know there are elevators to below-deck vehicle storage and maintenance, right. Newer carriers like the Gerald Ford have larger such areas, thus yielding more room for vehicles.

It also has the new electromagnetic catapult so it can launch more sorties over 24 hour periods, a re-designed flight deck for better use of space, and a taco bell.

Seems like reason enough to upgrade to me.

But yeah, it would be nice if there was a way whereby Carriers can gain xp via the aircraft they launch as supposed to direct combat which is something by their very design that they are supposed to avoid.

Wait don't Carriers have Combat Strength of 60? That means they can attack, only melee though. At least I think so?

They have Combat Strength of 50, but also a red triangle that states: "May not melee attack"

Another possibility that comes into my mind: Carriers could gather a small ammount of XP (1, maybe 2 XP), ervery time an aircraft starts from the carrier with a specific task (= attack, intercept or air superiority strike; so, not when re-basing, of course.)

I like this idea. Whenever an air unit stationed on a Carrier gains experience, the Carrier also gains 1 XP. (I feel like it has to be a tiny amount, because otherwise the XP will accumulate too quickly -- you can have three air units launching attacks every turn!)

I like this idea. Whenever an air unit stationed on a Carrier gains experience, the Carrier also gains 1 XP. (I feel like it has to be a tiny amount, because otherwise the XP will accumulate too quickly -- you can have three air units launching attacks every turn!)

the problem is most other forms of gaining xp result in some chance of taking damage (even a ranged attack is from a short enough range that you might get sniped)

A carrier can sit 6-8 tiles from its target, and not take damage.

I could see 1 XP for each TURN that any units attacked/intercepted from the carrier. (because they can have 5 units with Flight Deck)

Top Bottom