December 16th, 2016: save the date!

I would be great if we could play/finish an entire game in the CivOne engine before 16 December 2016. :)
I've added the date to my calendar. I'll be eating cake that day.

Heh, I remember people here were talking about some sort of international gathering for the 20th anniversary... Of course it didn't happen.

As for 2016, I'd probably get nostalgic then, when I see this thread again here... Like I get nostalgic when I hear great music that was made ages ago and I will never see the band in their prime or hear them make a better album. Weird analogy, but music lovers will get it.

Anyway, Civ has inspired me enough as a kid, when it used to quench my already existing thirst for knowledge. I really liked encyclopedias as a kid and that was like an encyclopedia that you can play. It very much strenghtened my interest in history and the workings of the world, and since I only knew a little bit of English at the time (I was 8 in '94 when I got it), it also actually taught me more English than they were teaching me in school. I was basically learning how to play the game with an English-Bulgarian dictionary next to me.

Heh, I remember people here were talking about some sort of international gathering for the 20th anniversary...
Of course it didn't happen.

...case closed ;)

Feb 26, 2001, 12:28 AM
It's 2001.
That means it's 10 years since Sid published Civilization.
Don't you think we should all celebrate in some way?
Perhaps host some kind of anniversary event.
Perhaps even invite Sid to get involved?

What do you all think?
source: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=2039

Excellent! The 16th of December is also known as Dingaan's Day in South Africa (Dingaan was the Chief of the Zulus who treacherously massacred a delegation of Boer leaders while they were peacefully negotiating for land). So, make sure to play a game of Civ on the 16th of December as the Zulu faction, naming your chief Dingaan, and behaving most treacherously. I wouldn't give this advice to anyone outside the civ fold.

I suggest we organize some kind of special competition to mark the date.
Any ideas?

If CivOne project gets close to be finished soon enough, maybe somekind of AI programming competition? Then someone could broadcast the AI tournament on youtube :) Maybe bit too ambitious idea for competition...

Or maybe if there is going to be multiplayer option , we could have somekind of non serious tournament, to see who is the best Civ1 player out there.

Or competition to upgrade the graphics for CivOne project.

If we stick to original CIvDOS, we could have scenario creation competition. We set up theme for scenario and then we vote who made the most interesting scenario.

Or we could have succession game or democracy game.

Just some ideas.

If CivOne project gets close to be finished soon enough, maybe somekind of AI programming competition? Then someone could broadcast the AI tournament on youtube :) Maybe bit too ambitious idea for competition...

Or maybe if there is going to be multiplayer option , we could have somekind of non serious tournament, to see who is the best Civ1 player out there.

Or competition to upgrade the graphics for CivOne project.

If we stick to original CIvDOS, we could have scenario creation competition. We set up theme for scenario and then we vote who made the most interesting scenario.

Or we could have succession game or democracy game.

Just some ideas.

I think getting CivOne feature complete before 16 December 2016 is a good tribute, and it definitely seems probable to me.
If we get it finished before then, I will absolutely try to get multiplayer (TCP and hot-seat) and mod support in.

With mod support, maybe we could create an unofficial expansion pack, with support for bigger maps, new techs, new units, new leaders. We'd need someone to create Civ-like graphics though.

I think getting CivOne feature complete before 16 December 2016 is a good tribute, and it definitely seems probable to me.
If we get it finished before then, I will absolutely try to get multiplayer (TCP and hot-seat) and mod support in.

With mod support, maybe we could create an unofficial expansion pack, with support for bigger maps, new techs, new units, new leaders. We'd need someone to create Civ-like graphics though.

I've always wanted a bigger map. Awesome project!

This thread is getting me nostalgic for playing this game for hours on end. Somehow I loathed, but also miss, the days when a veteran bomber could lose to a settler unit. Memories! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just finish the first full game of CIV since 1994. 'Tis great game indeed
:D
my man!

Look around here, we have made some updates/patches/graphics/mods to make it more enjoyable.
I really like the all-settler-jobs-take-one-turn mod.

Sent from my iCave using a rock.

Now that I have more skills and knowledge I am adding Portuguese to the game, since I started playing it in the 90´s that I tried to put Portuguese in it somehow.

And I am starting to play the game again in my mobile phone :D

Alright everyone, let the countdown begin ...
...watching soap bubbles blow. *canthelp*

This thread is getting me nostalgic for playing this game for hours on end.
Somehow I loathed, but also miss,
the days when a veteran bomber could lose to a settler unit. ...
...the days when a veteran bomber could lose to a settler unit.

They still do so, oh yes -
they still do. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom