CivDOS diplomacy screwed up

kettyo

Seeker of Reality
Always comes a point in the game when all AI civs start to attack me no matter they are in war or peace with me. Even when i'm making peace with them they continue attacking me.
At the same time they cancel all AI-AI wars.

This is MOST annoying!

Can someone with a programming experience fix this huge bug in this otherwise fantastic game?

She/He would be absolutely :king:

Marx,

The 'issue' starts when the diplomacy screen starts showing everybody at war with you though you're supposed to be in peace with some or all of them.
Then no matter what you do they will attack you. When you make peace with them the next turn they will make another 'sneak attack'. Even those civs who have 5 times less cities. Everybody.
And they immediately stop warring with each other and start sharing all their techs among themselves so behave as allies.

I always experienced this some turns after changing to monarchy or republic from despotism so greatly improving economically (around 0 AD) in all games.

I'm sure it's a bug because it never happened in CivNET.

It's there in CivAmiga (both ECS and AGA version) and CivDOS for sure.

I don't know whether it's there in CivWin and CivMac because i never played them. I suppose no because they use the same core as CivNET.

Which version do you use?

Erm... sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have also experienced similar AI behavior.

Are the AI's programmed to gang up against the most powerful nation? In my latest game, all the other civs were trying to wipe me out, and whenever I managed to force peace, they sneak attacked next turn. I think this started happening by the time I was the superpower of the game.

Finally, in 1970, my spaceship reached Alpha Centauri, but I decided to continue playing (not just one more turn ;) ). Everyone was now eager to sign peace with me, and the next 50 years were VERY peaceful. Some small wars between the AIs, but no one touched me.

Well, it seems that this is the way AI is programmed. AI civs also want and try to win the game, by harassing the strongest civ, all fighting for the first place. And when the game is finally judged, they stop being psychos.

I'm just not sure if that only happens when the superpower is the player himself. Do they act the same way against an AI superpower?

Kettyo,

are you using the latest version of civdos? version 05? I play that one and have never noticed that pattern, all games I played with it are very different.

However, at one point or another, AI nations will at one point decide to go to war. Even if for some AI civs this occurs often, It is always possible to avoid wars with well placed diplomats, with good border towns close to the cities of other civs. With that, a war never lasts a complete turn.

I am using ver 4 and I also suffer from this problem.

Does anyone know how/where I can upgrade CivDos 4 to 5?

I am using ver 4 and I also suffer from this problem.

Does anyone know how/where I can upgrade CivDos 4 to 5?

I don't think its a bug, but even if it is, it hasnt been corrected in version 5. Some games turn out to be a little too bloody. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it feels like a World War or something. Axis vs Allies and stuff. Heh, a little bit of roleplaying and everything looks normal again :D

I'm playing civdos 4, though i think several years ago i had civdos 5, and the same thing happens in both. It's just to be expected; if you're powerful and healthy, the other civs hate you and will constantly wage war on you. And yep, you can make peace -- you might even give a civ 1000 gold to sign for peace -- and the next turn, they sneak attack.

It's not that diplomacy is "screwed up"; it's just that the AI isn't terribly evolved. Civ II had the same "problem" -- if you were number one, the other civs would gang up on you.

I only played Civ III a few times, and never saw Civ IV, so I don't know if this has changed. But I'll only play Civ I anyway. It's just too fun and perfect.

Diplomacy in Civ1 was a joke. It wasn't meant to be "diplomacy". It was a way for a weaker player to get the AI off them by getting peace. The AI only stays at peace if the player is not a threat. The AI has one simple rule: don't let anyone win, and they'll do ANYTHING to keep the #1 person from winning.

Civ3 is my idea of diplomacy. It also does not have the same AI strategy of always attack the strongest person. In fact it is the opposite. If the AI thinks he can take something from you and you aren't strong enough to rebuff him, he'll go to war to take what he wants.

Diplomacy in Civ1 was a joke. It wasn't meant to be "diplomacy". It was a way for a weaker player to get the AI off them by getting peace. The AI only stays at peace if the player is not a threat. The AI has one simple rule: don't let anyone win, and they'll do ANYTHING to keep the #1 person from winning.

Civ3 is my idea of diplomacy. It also does not have the same AI strategy of always attack the strongest person. In fact it is the opposite. If the AI thinks he can take something from you and you aren't strong enough to rebuff him, he'll go to war to take what he wants.

While all you wrote is perfectly true, I still happen to like the way it works in civ 1. It's a game after all, and trying to prevent the strongest from winning is also how I do it when playing the game.

Am I the only one who accepts the fact of frequent skirmishes and that all you need is rushing well-placed diplomats and force the peace, every time having no more than one-turn wars?

I know it is tiresome to repeat this, but it works great, if what you want is to focus on the developpment of your civ.

I've never played a peaceful game. I play the eternal war. I don't care that diplomacy means nothing because if they aren't at war with me, it just means I declare war by attacking them first.

Go back a couple weeks to a thread called "Waiting for Jesus". We are all talking about the same feature of the game.

Top Bottom