[MODMOD] Age of Further Discovery v0.03 for AoDII v1.12

I like your ideas but it may turn off people who do not want too much historical accuracy in a mod.

Having said that, I (and a many like me) don't like the, "It's only a game" comment when asking that perhaps things could be tweaked a bit to better simulate the actual conditions.

"It's only a game", isn't exactly what people mean. I think what they really mean is that gameplay and fun should take priority over historical accuracy. Of course, "fun" is in the eye of the beholder, but for a game to be commercially viable, it needs to appeal to a fairly broad audience.

Well over on the AoDII mod, I pretty much got told that the designer doesn't like 'negative player' actions impacting on the game too much. Well it's his mod and his choice.

He has a name. It's Dale. You are allowed to say it! :p

For Colonization, I'm seeing three things that I've noticed are missing that really seem to be glaring.

3. Continuing from 2, what's up with no slavery? It's in Civ IV, it's in many mods and there have been a lot of them that have some very nice systems to show slave revolts that necessitate keeping more troops available to put them down. It was (and is) a barbaric practice, but it helped bring in the money which is why most folks were there in the first place.

There has been quite a bit of talk previously about adding slaves to the game, and being able to sail to Africa to purchase slaves there. If you have a search i'm sure you'll find plenty of discussion and some people who were working on the idea. Don't know if anyone is currently.

Continuing from before.

4, Smuggling. One thing that strikes me is that Colonist can't smuggle goods to other European players. One of the biggest gripes King George had with the colonists was that they were flouting the English Mercantile Acts and doing a lot of trading with England's trade enemies. So I think that when you could sail to the Homeland, there should be an option (and new screen) which would allow you to trade elsewhere in Europe. However, there would be a chance that your ship and cargo would get intercepted by the Navy and the ship would be lost and perhaps a financial fine imposed upon you.

5. Similar to smuggling and the lack of roaming barbarians is the lack of pirates. In the games I've played, the only pirates are those the AI players build. The early part of the game is easily withing the "Golden Age of Piracy" so I'd think there should be pirates running around.

7. Privateers. The Fall From Heaven modmod Orbis has a neat system where there is a Letter of Marque promotion that allows for a privateer mission. Any ship would this could act privateer for as long as the privateer mission is kept active.

...Like the smuggling mission I mentioned, I think pirates and warships during war should be able to enter the "Homeland" zone and then have an option of "Commerce Raiding" and thus they'd disappear and every so often you'd get a hit and make money or get a notice that your ship has been sunk.

See: Kailric. He is doing lots of different modmods, one of which deals with the lack of Piracy and Navies in general. There are several threads around with his ideas and mods in the Mods and Files forum I beleive.

Sorry, don't mean to spam this thread.

However, I was thinking that one aspect of Col2 that sometimes gets me is that the King always is a negative factor. He wants you to kiss his ring to pay off his gambling debts or hike your taxes. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I wish there was a way to tap into the Expeditionary Force during times war.

Yet I noticed that there are never any positive European effects. I've played one game where I managed to go a long time w/o ever not kissing the ring, sacking colonies of England's enemies and generally bringing in the revenue. Yet there is no way the game takes being a 'good' subject into account.

Something else Kailric was working on. Look for a thread about diplomacy or insults or something like that. Was all about improving interactions with your king.

A lot of the stuff you've posted has been talked about before, much of it to do with AoD. Tbf to Dale, he has brought many people back to the game after Firaxis, in many people's opinions, ballsed it up, and has been working on this since last year. Now he just wants a break from it (who wouldn't) and I don't think it's unfair to let him have a little time off!! ;)

That said there are plenty of people seemingly ready, willing and able to pick up the baton and take his work and make it even better. Aymerick and the rest of the AoFD guys, Kailric and others aswell. Unfortunately I can't remember the names of any of the people who were discussing the Slave trade etc but i'm sure if you have a dig you cand find out, and maybe someone will want to help out :goodjob:

I like your ideas but it may turn off people who do not want too much historical accuracy in a mod.

Which is why I think many changes should either be in a modmod or perhaps have elements that you can activate during the custom games.

Of course how come it's always the gamers who don't want historical stuff as much have to be always the ones who get their way? There are plenty of non-historical games out there. There aren't very many of games for those of us who might want to take a break from something like Europa Universallis.

arkham4269:

Whilst I do support your push for a more historic level within Col2, I should remind you that AoD2 has become sort of the defacto method for most people to play the game. And it is fair to say that the historical/gameplay split is about 50:50%. To that end, I would suggest that the historical layer be added via a modmod rather than cutting 50% of the players out by changing the base level.

And yes, I do need a huge break from this. You need to remember that I've been modding Civ4 & Col2 for 4 and a half years no break. I need to focus on another project which I hope will become as big, if not bigger, than Road to War and Age of Discovery. ;)

Dale

Whilst I do support your push for a more historic level within Col2, I should remind you that AoD2 has become sort of the defacto method for most people to play the game. And it is fair to say that the historical/gameplay split is about 50:50%. To that end, I would suggest that the historical layer be added via a modmod rather than cutting 50% of the players out by changing the base level.

Hey I've always been for that. I mean I did 17.5 years in the Army and if there is one thing I hated was poorly done group runs. The fast guys always went to fast for the slow guys. So I'd rather have a modmod where the focus is on more realism than just getting a watered down version to keep the 'gamer' fans happy. :goodjob:

Besides, I figure that modmod is a good way to test things out. I've noticed that Fall From Heaven is the 'done' fantasy mod, but still will often incorporate ideas that have been used in Fall Further or Orbis due to popular request.

Wow arkham4269, you are sharing some pretty nice thoughts in here. The two of us are quite on the same level - and we both can't code our own mod, it seems. ;)

I am now looking forward to a new version of this further age of discovery with pirates and al..

..and keeping my fingers crossed that a lot of the features you and me proposed independently in different threads might find their way into this mod as well.

News on a new version?

Hi guys,

Just to let you know a new version is coming up soon, I've found some bugs I need to clear first and since school has started for me I don't have much free time left, so please bare with me!

arkham4269, as other people said, some of the feature you're suggesting are already implemented into Kailric's Pirate Mod and we do plan on merging it with this ModMod. But Kailric told me he isn't ready yet for that so this next version will simply be a compatibility update for AoDII v1.12.

Aymerick

arkham, you really should check out this mod:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7821905

Man I waited for so long to buy this game, and now that I've bought it, it turns out I was still too hasty for the definitive mods to be released and make it a really enjoyable game. ;)

I haven't yet seen a mod that would address the natives. Are there any? I mean, giving them some additional power besides being deliverers of converted natives or superwealthy trade partners for processed goods. Some sort of menace and resistance before they peacefully give up all their settlements after the Europeans have developed massive cultural influence..

So far I'm seeing a lot of nice stuff in the Pirate mod that does have a lot of interesting things in regards to letters of marque and the like.

Again, a lot of the things I'd like to see for realism (like plagues on the natives) are probably better for a modmod because it would impact on game play.

My main 'want' as it were that I don't think would affect gameplay that much is the concept that the European powers went to war with each other quite often, especially the English and French.

I'm not exactly sure why, but it seems to me the Natives are a lot more passive than 'lesser' Civ's or minor nations due in vanilla Civ. Again, more for historical perspective but in the three 'Indian" wars in North America, both the French and English relied a lot on their Native allies and that just doesn't seem to happen. The only time I had a defensive pact, they broke the alliance the minute someone declared war on me so not a big help.

Awesome, i was waiting for this ,)

Looks good so far. I fired up a game tonight. So far the only issue I've noticed is that Free Colonists are a tad too tall on the docks (their heads get cut off). Low bridges, maybe? ;-)

Allright, allright... I hate releasing an unpolished version but here it is anyway!

See first post for download link and details.

Excellent, thank you! I think you can use this fan-base as beta-testers.

Dude, like the mod but you gotta put the "Age of Discovery" song back on the title page!!

Top Bottom