Endless Legend

I'm sure its undeniably true on Civfanatics.

Your complaints bear little relation to the game I played so I'm still kind of puzzled.

I'm not talking about subjective enjoyment, I'm talking about design quality. It's entirely possible to enjoy EL more than - say - Civ V and still concede it's not as good a game. I found it very enjoyable on my Forgotten playthrough.

Too many game elements are unexplored or underexplored, poorly-connected to the rest of the game systems, or badly-balanced in terms of decision-making to offer either the design coherence or strategic options of Civ games. Every victory condition bar conquest is just 'accumulate a threshold amount of resource X' - Distant Worlds is a fine 4x and certainly one to take inspiration from in many areas. Its victory conditions are not among those areas.

And the designers clearly recognise this as the game's a work in progress - take the additions in the Forgotten expansion, which actually required you to have more than two or three heroes in a playthrough while before it was rather worrisome that one of the game's core selling points was practically an optional extra rather than a central feature of gameplay.

Ugh, this thread is the latest in a lot of evidence for me that most players become fans of increasingly more specific and limited gaming conventions.

EL is a great game that should appeal to 4X players who have a wider taste than only Civ. Many of the features being moaned about here are in fact good and implemented well when taken in their context, its just they're different from Civ and so therefore "Wrong".
Sorry for being a bit late with my response (I assume your comment is also pointed at me), haven't been very active on CivFanatics recently.

When it comes to EL, I don't mind that they do things different. In fact I am very HAPPY that they did it, because CIV5 has a lot of issues. Even with BNW there are several mechanics like 1UPT, Trade Route plundering, Tech Tree balance, Research Agreements, City State Worker Stealing, Tall vs. Wide pacing - stuff that never really got fixed. And don't get me started on CIV5 vanilla. Dear god, that game was a mess on release. Blech.

What I do mind, though, is that many of their new ideas are only half-baked and don't work very well. I have played a lot of Endless Space (and still like that game, even if it is flawed), and it is pretty obvious that a lot of problems in Endless Legend are design decisions that they carried over from ES to EL.

As a counter point I want to present Star Ruler 2. It is a game that has a significantly different approach to many themes of the 4x genre (e.g. diplomacy, budget, artifacts, tech system, stellar interaction). Yes, it has significant balance problems as well, but unlike EL the underyling mechanics feel a lot better. I would rank that game as one of the best I have ever played (in the 4x genre), despite (or because?) it significantly deviating from established standards.

What I will give to Iceberg/Aplitude is that they know how to make awesome aesthetics that draw you into their world. In Endless Space I can sit for minutes in the system view, watching my planets rotate, wishing I could visit them with my Kerbal Space Program rockets one day. In Endless Legend the Era and resource pictures breathe life into their world to a point where I wish I could walk around in these weird looking cities or where I try to imagine astrange landscape filled with Glass Silk.

But in terms of gameplay and basic mechanics their games are bad. Really bad actually when it comes to balance. But that doesn't have to be a "WON'T BUY" for you. SMAC never had really great gameplay either (and certainly doesn't have it by today's standards), but it is still one of the best 4x games out there. I enjoy playing OCC with my custom Cultist faction in EL. You might too. I just wanted to make sure that people are aware of the flaws. :)

Endless Steam sale now on [2017 January]--oops no, it does end on the 23rd :) Never played these, so looks a steal for $10.50

Endless Legend Collection
Includes 8 items: Dungeon of the Endless™ - Deep Freeze Add-on, Endless Legend™, Endless Legend™ - Echoes of Auriga, Endless Legend™ - Emperor Edition Upgrade, Endless Legend™ - Guardians, Endless Legend™ - Shadows, Endless Legend™ - Shifters, Endless Legend™ - The Lost Tales

WEEKEND DEAL! Offer ends January 23

For $18 you can get Space and Dungeon titles too:

Buy Endless Grand Master Collection
Includes 14 items: Dungeon of the Endless™, Dungeon of the Endless™ - Australium Update, Dungeon of the Endless™ - Crystal Edition Upgrade, Dungeon of the Endless™ - Rescue Team Add-on, Endless Legend™, Endless Legend™ - Echoes of Auriga, Endless Legend™ - Emperor Edition Upgrade, Endless Legend™ - Guardians, Endless Legend™ - Shadows, Endless Legend™ - Shifters, Endless Legend™ - Tempest, Endless Legend™ - The Lost Tales, Endless Space® - Disharmony, Endless Space® - Emperor Edition

WEEKEND DEAL! Offer ends January 23

It crashes on my Windows 10 64bit. The install and intros went fine, I was able to play all the tutorial, but clicking on New Game crashes every time.

I haven't had much time to mess around, tried some things like running as admin, not full-screen, and compatibility modes, but no luck so far. Hopefully I can solve it, it looks interesting so far.

It crashes on my Windows 10 64bit. The install and intros went fine, I was able to play all the tutorial, but clicking on New Game crashes every time.

I haven't had much time to mess around, tried some things like running as admin, not full-screen, and compatibility modes, but no luck so far. Hopefully I can solve it, it looks interesting so far.

This happened to me. Which i found immediately frustrating. Stupid thing was that the first time it worked. I cant remember exactly how i fixed it, but there was an article on steam forums.

I bought Endless Legend in late 2015 on a sale, but didn't get around to playing it till last weekend. 7 hours in so far and it's pretty fun, similar enough to Civ to be able to jump in after the tutorial, but enough differences to be interesting, and I like aspects such as the region-and-city system (so it's like you're controlling a number of cities spread out through the countryside), the minor factions (which are more interesting and unique than those in Civ 5, and made me interested in them), and the combat system (which both avoids carpet of doom and their micromanagement, and adds tactical combat more effectively, and with more suspense, than in Civ V). It's too early to say if it'll become competitive with one of the Civs in how much time I spend on it long-term - there may be flaws that decrease its replayability after the first few times - but I'm already having more fun with it than I ever did with Civ V.

Running without any issues on Windows 8.1 64-bit with a Radeon RX 480.

It crashes on my Windows 10 64bit
Running without any issues on Windows 8.1 64-bit with a Radeon RX 480.
I installed it again last month, and it played fine, so one of the intervening Win10 main upgrades must have fixed it—I'm on 1709, the latest Fall Creators' Update.

Very attractive game visually, and good variety among the various civs and factions. I liked the tech tree setup initially, where you could progress without having to get almost all the earlier techs, but found I had to go back later and get some old ones I'd skipped.

I put about 20 hours into it, but ultimately didn't find enough to hold my interest. In my limited experience, it seems heavy on the role play and light on strategy, which is the reverse of what appeals to me.

I'm glad I bought it, and certainly recommend picking it up on sale. There's a lot to like, and I'm sure I'll fire it up from time to time in future.

Top Bottom