Europa Universalis IV

Oh wow, sounds awesome.

I'll admit that it's been years since me or my brother have dealt with EUIII, and even then it was mostly him who played EUIII (like 99% of my EUIII "experience" actually comes from watching and advising him on EUIII), so my knowledge on the game is pretty sketchy at this point. That's not to mention that we rarely played EUIII mods (for whatever reason), so I'm unsure of what the capabilities of EUIII modding is. (For one thing, I've heard people throw the word "tag" around, but I dunno what it is)

That said, I'll be happy to contribute whatever limited knowledge and ideas I might have. I will say that Vietnam will probably have mechanics and events more similar to that of China, and it'd be more of a slight oddball in the SE Asian zone, but whatever. Do you have an account on the PI forums? It'd be quite... interesting to go do a bit of modding work with you again, albeit in a very different fashion. :mischief:
Tags is just another way to say country. (As each country has a 3 letter codename or 'tag')

For the provinces, it'd be as simple as me taking a screenshot and letting you draw around on paint, i'll handle the rest.

For game mechanics and balance and stuff we'd have to have a more lengthy discussion on how stuff worked in Vietnam and area and see what we can do in game. This area is probably the toughest and most restricted thing to get right.

Beyond that, if you have ideas for events and decisions, feel free to speak and they can be included.

I'm not done with the map yet though. (Though I got the landmass copied relatively well from Vicky, the Oceans are another story.... Beyond that, the terrains didn't copy well leading to awkward situations like Borneo having plains.) When I get done, I'll send you a pm and we can get this organized.

Anyway, for everyone else curious, I do have some screenshots of the new Asia, and I don't think I've posted these on here.
http://i.imgur.com/wn1Ir.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/66To0.jpg

You can see the difference between the old coastline and the new one.

@Dachs: I think one of my professors said something like this, but would it be reasonable to say that the Portuguese (and to a lesser extent the Dutch afterwards) simply attempted to take over - or rather, monopolize - an existing system rather than create a new one? I'm also getting that vibe from your post.
Yes, they tried. And they failed even at that. So they fell back on the extortion/piracy angle.

Yes, they tried. And they failed even at that. So they fell back on the extortion/piracy angle.

this. If you haven't read it yet, Findlay and O'Rourke's Power and Plenty makes a very compelling account of the whole affair.

test post

I like how the EU IV thread is about EU III

Indeed, how could it not be about EU3?

They are using the Victoria 2 projection.:D

Yeah, but he also quite explicitly said he doesn't give a damn about the borders. Rather like buying a 15,000 dollar wedding dress and bedazzling it.

Vicky projection is good with the rest of the world, but bad with Europe. Not because the projection itself is bad, but because it makes Europe smaller, smaller than EU3 DW.

Remind yourself that you will be staring at Europe for the vast majority of your playing time.

Vicky projection is good with the rest of the world, but bad with Europe. Not because the projection itself is bad, but because it makes Europe smaller, smaller than EU3 DW.

No, that's a good thing.

Oversized Europe is one of my biggest pet peeve's with game maps.

No, that's a good thing.

Well...you have to admit it at least makes some sense to do it in a game like Civilization.

Well...you have to admit it at least makes some sense to do it in a game like Civilization.

It makes sense to a degree, but that doesn't stop it from bugging me to no end.

Yeah, but he also quite explicitly said he doesn't give a damn about the borders. Rather like buying a 15,000 dollar wedding dress and bedazzling it.

More accurately, he said that borders were not a priority compared to gameplay concerns. (Both ease of gameplay, and gamebalance).

Which seems like a pretty sane attitude coming from a game designer.

No, that's a good thing.

I'd generally agree on that point if it was not for the fact this game is Europa Universalis.

How often are you going to be playing the game in Global view to fully appreciate a tiny europe to rest of world ratio? :p

I still can't understand the obsession so many people have about Europa Universalis maps. As Oda's said, it's first and foremost a game, so once you've got a map that more-or-less looks like the world you're representing, the focus should be on making the game fun and immersive. Paradox is a game company, after all, not a map company.

I guess I'm confused because it seems like if what you really want is a fantastic map to look at, you probably ought to go buy a fantastic map, not a video game. Coupled with the fact that, at least in Divine Wind, EU3's map doesn't suck. I like geography, but I'd rather plan a fun game with an average map than a boring game with a "perfect" map (in quotes since you'll always have projection issues unless you go spherical).

Top Bottom