Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

I'll give it a try, but surely there has to be another fix, right? I mean, why would BUG cause graphic crashes when it hardly changes any graphics at all? It doesn't make sense to my small brain.

Sorry, you'd have to ask the BUG team that question. It does put a lot of extra widgets on the screen, though.

I only have experience of BUG in the form of the MacBUFFY mod which we use for the Game of the Month competitions. It incorporates most of the features of BUG, though I guess it's probably a little behind the development curve now.

bug interface works on single player after I altered the txt file but doesn't on work on multiplayer. Help please! or point me to the thread/post that addresses this. Thanks

Bug config - failure parsing/users/username/documents/civilization iv beyond the sword/custom assets/config/init.xml at line 187
Bug config - failure parsing/users/username/documents/civilization iv beyond the sword/custom assets/config/init.xml at line 186
Bug config - failure parsing/users/username/documents/civilization iv beyond the sword/custom assets/config/init.xml at line 184

When the question of multiplayer use has been asked in the General Discussion forum in the past, some of the authors of BUG have answered that it was designed for single player use and although it may work for multi player, they don't guarantee it. They also said that, at that time, they did not intend to update it for multi player use. You might try asking in the BUG subforum in the Creation and Customization forum, if they have any advice. In essence, the problem you are seeing is not a Mac related problem, it is due to the structure of BUG Mod.

Spoiler PythonErr2 Log :
load_module CvEventInterface
load_module BugEventManager
load_module CvEventManager
load_module CvUtil
load_module traceback
load_module CvScreensInterface
load_module CvMainInterface
load_module ScreenInput
load_module CvScreenEnums
load_module time
load_module BugDll
load_module BugOptions
load_module BugConfig
load_module BugCore
load_module BugUtil
load_module ColorUtil
load_module BugInit
load_module BugPath
load_module BugConfigTracker
load_module BugTypes
load_module sets
load_module xmllib
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/xmllib.py:9: DeprecationWarning: The xmllib module is obsolete. Use xml.sax instead.
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugConfig - registering xml handler BugConfig.RootHandler
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugConfig - registering bug handler BugConfig.BugHandler
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugConfig - registering load handler BugConfig.LoadHandler
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugConfig - registering config handler BugConfig.ConfigHandler
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugConfig - registering arg handler BugConfig.ArgHandler
load_module configobj
load_module validate
validate import failed
load_module BugOptionsScreen
load_module BugErrorOptionsTab
load_module BugOptionsTab
load_module BugHelp
load_module Popup
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod Core
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod MainInterface
load_module CityUtil
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod NJAGC
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod Scores
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod CityScreen
load_module ReligionUtil
load_module FontUtil
load_module MonkeyTools
load_module PyHelpers
load_module AStarTools
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod PLE
load_module UnitUtil
load_module PlayerUtil
load_module TradeUtil
load_module DiplomacyUtil
load_module AttitudeUtil
load_module GameUtil
load_module Scoreboard
load_module DealUtil
load_module BugUnitPlot
load_module ReminderEventManager
load_module SdToolKit
load_module BugData
load_module cPickle
load_module autolog
load_module CvModName
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod Autolog
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod Reminder
load_module CvAppInterface
load_module GGUtil
load_module GPUtil
load_module ProgressBarUtil
load_module PLE
load_module RawYields
load_module CvTechChooser
load_module TechPrefs
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod Advisors
load_module CvForeignAdvisor
load_module math
load_module CvExoticForeignAdvisor
load_module IconGrid_BUG
load_module DomPyHelpers
load_module TechTree
load_module FavoriteCivicDetector
load_module CvReligionScreen
load_module CvCorporationScreen
load_module CvCivicsScreen
load_module CvVictoryScreen
load_module TechUtil
load_module GameSetUpCheck
load_module AutoSave
load_module MapFinder
load_module MapFinderStatusScreen
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod MapFinder
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod AutoSave
load_module Buffy
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod BUFFY
load_module CvEspionageAdvisor
load_module SpyUtil
load_module BugScreen
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod BetterEspionage
load_module CvOptionsScreen
load_module CvReplayScreen
load_module CvHallOfFameScreen
load_module CvDanQuayle
load_module CvGameUtils
load_module CvUnVictoryScreen
load_module CvDawnOfMan
load_module CvTechSplashScreen
load_module CvTopCivs
load_module random
load_module CvInfoScreen
load_module CvIntroMovieScreen
load_module CvVictoryMovieScreen
load_module CvWonderMovieScreen
load_module CvEraMovieScreen
load_module CvSpaceShipScreen
load_module SevoScreenEnums
load_module CvWorldBuilderScreen
load_module CvWorldBuilderDiplomacyScreen
load_module CvDebugTools
load_module CvDebugInfoScreen
load_module CvMapGeneratorUtil
load_module CvGFCScreen
load_module CvPopupInterface
load_module CvScreenUtilsInterface
load_module CvOverlayScreenUtils
load_module CvDotMapOverlayScreen
load_module CvStrategyOverlay
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod StrategyOverlay
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod CustDomAdv
12:03:02 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod TechWindow
init-ing world builder screen
load_module CvWBPopups
load_module CvCameraControls
load_module CvAdvisorUtils
load_module InputUtil
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugUtil - extending BugEventManager.preGameStart instead CvAppInterface
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'PreGameStart'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'BeginActivePlayerTurn'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'SwitchHotSeatPlayer'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'LanguageChanged'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'ResolutionChanged'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'PythonReloaded'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'unitUpgraded'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'unitCaptured'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'combatWithdrawal'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'combatRetreat'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'combatLogCollateral'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'combatLogFlanking'
12:03:02 DEBUG: BugEventManager - adding event 'playerRevolution'
PY:OnInit

I don't know what I did wrong. I went from the beginning of the thread and did everything said: The GPuntil switch file, moving Setup Check to the Bug Mod file at the same level as the Customs Assets File. Replacing files within the Customs Assets File. Going and replacing that line 600 something.

What happens is that I start and I get the leaderhead screen normally. I fixed the empty tech screen issue. But then I still have no interface, and I get the Alt-cmd-o prompt instead.

Help? Questions? Thanks!

PythonErr.log (no 2) is the best one to see the errors that result in no interface. The one you have posted just lists the modules as they load.

Hi All,

First time user here. Nice to meet you!

Tried to install the Bug Mod 4, but am experiencing issues when launching a game.

1. The first thing I see is a blank Technology Advisor screen.

2. When I exit, all UI is gone and remains gone even after I've founded a city.

I've attached screenshots for your reference. This happened after I've installed the Bug Mod as instructed in the first couple of pages of this thread. Any advice?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2013-09-18 at 22.37.23.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-09-18 at 22.37.37.jpg

Hi, welcome :wavey:

This comes up periodically in this thread. My post #172 describes the fix.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

This comes up periodically in this thread. My post #172 describes the fix.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. It's working now. :goodjob:

Out of interest, is there any way I can get the BULL Mod or BAT Mod working for the Mac as well? I've tried looking at several threads, but they only seem to exist for the PC.

Cheers!

Edit: Ah, celebrated too soon. Once I start a game, a message that says "BugOptions - Cannot locate settings folder" keeps appearing. What should I do? Below is a screenshot.

View attachment 361211
Nvm, figured the last part out. :D

BULL uses a custom DLL, and the Mac versions of Civ4 cannot handle custom DLL files. This limits the number of Civ4 mods you can play. I'm not sure what BAT does, and whether it is compatible.

BAT is no longer Mac compatible since version 3.0, due to the inclusion of a custom DLL. Older versions can be made to work but require extensive text encoding fixes.

I am also having the same error as below.

1. The first thing I see is a blank Technology Advisor screen.
2. When I exit, all UI is gone and remains gone even after I've founded a city.

I have edited the /Civilization IV Beyond The Sword/CustomAssests/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py
by removing the
newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__

but that didn't fix the problem.

Is there anything else that I should look at?

ruchir2,

I assume that you are referring to BUG Mod.

Are you running any other mod with it? Many mods are not able to run with BUG and get the kind of result that you are reporting. If you put BUG in Custom Assets and try to run a mod with it you get these results.

Another possibility is that BUG is not installed properly. Look at the install instructions and make sure that your installation is exactly like it states. If there is any variation at all, BUG can't find its files and gives this kind of problem.

s.bernbaum,
after re-installing civ4 with the changes recommended earlier, things worked. Not sure what I was doing wrong the first 3 times I tried.

Anyways, time to enjoy civ4 :D

I've been getting the error where upon start up I get a blank technology advisor screen and then no interface upon exiting the screen. I checked out the previous post about editing the python files under BugUtil.py, but there's only about 20 lines and no newFunc.__name__ = function.__name__

Here's what that file says in total, opened in Terminal:

Last login: Sun Feb 16 23:13:20 on ttys000
[my name]-MacBook-2:~ [myname]$ cd '/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/MODS/BUGMod_4/Assets/Python/BUG/' && '/usr/bin/pythonw' '/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/MODS/BUGMod_4/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py' && echo Exit status: $? && exit 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/MODS/BUGMod_4/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py", line 136, in <module>
from CvPythonExtensions import *
ImportError: No module named CvPythonExtensions
[my name]-MacBook-2:BUG [myname]$

Everywhere that says [myname] is just my name without brackets.

I'm running a pretty old macbook with 10.6.8 and BTS 3.1.3.1. BUG worked before I updated my OS a few months ago, probably from 10.5 something.

Thanks!

/Applications/Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods/BUG Mod/Assets/Python/BUG/BugUtil.py is a single file, not a folder, so there are no files "under" it.

"That file" which you have listed looks like a log file, not a Python script.
It's probably ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Logs/PythonErr.log, and it is saying it can't import CvPythonExtensions from your BugUtil.py. So you have not edited the BugUtil.py file, or not done it correctly.

Make sure you are looking for the BugUtil.py file in the correct location. And edit it using a plain text editor - either TextEdit or TextWrangler/BBEdit.

Is there any good reason why you are not running BtS version 3.19?

Other than that I forgot it existed, no. It's been a while since I played. I downloaded the first patch I found and it didn't work, so I assumed I was all patched up.

After installing the patch and removing that line from the python script, BUG loads up just fine. It doesn't display turns until the city grows or finishes what it's building from the world map (which I seem to remember it having last time I played), but I assume that's in the options somewhere.

Thanks!

You are correct about the turn display. There are several different displays to choose from in the appropriate tab of the BUG options screen.

- Download and expand the zip file to produce a folder called BUGMod_4.x

- Create a folder called BUG Mod in ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/

- Move the Info and UserSettings folders from BUGMod_4.x/ into the new ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Bug Mod/ folder

- Move the contents of BUGMod_4.1/PrivateMaps/ into ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/PublicMaps/

- Move the contents of BUGMod_4.x/Assets/ into ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/, replacing the existing CustomAssets contents.

- If you have Blue Marble in CustomAssets already then do not delete/replace any existing Blue Marble files.

[DELETED fix for version 4.1]
That should do it.

After doing this my screen is now garbled when I play this game. I get tiny black rectangles everywhere. Not sure what it is. I tried removing the mod and it continues. I then removed the game from steam and then removed the BTS folder from documents. Reinstalled the game, and it still continues.

Is this fixable? I'm using 10.11.5 with Intel video (HD 4600)

Top Bottom