Installing Mods from the Mac App Store

bolinstephen

Chieftain
I have found no information on this online, as of now, but I have figured it out on my own.

If you by the app on the Mac App Store, the Mods menu does not show up, even after installing Mods in the usual place. Here is the solution:

1. Find the following file and back it up:

/Applications/Civilization Beyond Earth.app/Contents/GameData/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.xml

This works for Civ BE version 1.0.0 as downloaded from the Mac App Store November 17, 2014. Your results may vary, and this is why you should back up the file. In this modification of the game, you will be destructively replacing code that you can not get back unless you back up the file.

2. Open the file in your favorite text editor.

3. There are two sets of If/Then/Else statements in this file that pertain to us. The go like this:

<!-- s #if MAC_PORT
A bunch of xml code
<!-- #else // MAC_PORT
A bunch of code
<!-- #endif // MAC_PORT -->

There are two sets, find them both.

4. Under the first if/then statement, copy the code from the lines between "Else Mac Port" and "Endif Mac Port." Paste these lines of code replacing the lines of code between the "If Mac Port" and "Else Mac Port."

5. Do the same step as above, but for the second set of If/Then/Else statements.

6. Save the file. (You may need to adjust your permissions for both the file and the directory the file is in first)

7. Install Mods in the usual directory.

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civbe.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth/MODS

8. Open up Civ BE and enjoy.

thanks for this info, I followed the directions and I now see the "mods" menu. However, now what? How do I get the actual mods?

it seems the only place I'm seeing mods for this game is in steam workshop, and I stupidly bought this game from the Mac app store instead of steam. I tried adding the game to steam as an external/3rd party game and then "subscribing" to the mods from the steam workshop but they never download or do anything

where do I get the mod files to put in /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civbe.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth/MODS

Thanks Bolensteven for the file locations.

There is a simpler method than all that copypasta.

in OS X, the native TextEdit.app can leave XML and other files quite mangled so I use TextWranger. Google that if you need to.

In MainMenu.xml, under #if MAC_PORT, simply change the value of Box Hidden="1" to Box Hidden="0". (1=on, 0=off.) You will have to apply permissions as asked to save the file.

Like in Civ5, the MODS option will appear in the main menu.

I used this to get the MODS button in Civ:BE but when I got the Rising Tide expansion, it disappeared from the new main menu, even though the MainMenu.xml still has the if/else code replaced. Any idea how to get the MODS button back in this expansion?

I've been having the same problem with the MODS button not showing up in Rising Tide. Has anyone been able to get MODS to work with the Mac App Store version?

First off, make copies of the original files, so you have a back up.

It's not enough to change the MainMenu.xml in the original Front End. Open the package and make the modification described. Then go to Contents/Game Data/Assets/DLC/Expansion1/UI/Front End/MainMenu.xml. Look for the Mac_Ports code, and switch it as with the original Front End/MainMenu.xml. The button should be enabled then.

Great, thanks!
Clever you for working that out.
Modifying Expansion1/UI/Front End/MainMenu.xml worked and now the MODS button is in the RT menu.

Ok actually when I do it as bolinstephen instructs it does work. Changing the 1 to a 0 did not work for me.

Top Bottom