No coal

Juanholio

Warlord
I noticed this yesterday which seemed odd at the time. I was rushing an ideology and managed to get industrialisation first. I quickly looked around for any CSs with coal bought one but quickly realised that the coal they had wasn't within their borders. So I bought Belgrade (see attatched) and still nothing. Many turns when by and I couldn't figure out why I didn't get the coal - I couldn't pay to upgrade the resource because it was already mined. Ultimately I was beaten to the prize of early adoption by then I did start getting the coal.

I can only guess that the CS didn't have the tech and couldn't share with me (even though it was mined?). In another game I've been in in a similar situation where I had the option to pay to upgrade the resource and, voila, I got the resource. So do you have to wait for a CS to catch up in tech before you can share their resources? Or is there a discrepancy between if you pay to upgrade a tile and this case (assuming you're the tech front runner).

I raise this point because this hasn't happened to me before. Each time I've needed a resource from a CS and payed to improve a tile I've had it immediately.

Attachments

• 2013-09-11_00003.jpg
    2013-09-11_00003.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 289
There was a recent thread which explained that if the CS already has the correct improvement (or maybe any improvement?) on the resource then you have to wait for them to catch up. If they don't already have it improved you can pay to connect it as soon as you have the proper tech.

There was a recent thread which explained that if the CS already has the correct improvement (or maybe any improvement?) on the resource then you have to wait for them to catch up. If they don't already have it improved you can pay to connect it as soon as you have the proper tech.

Thanks, that's certainly what it looked like. I think it's just the fact that a mine was required and they had one. If it was, say, a farm (i.e. grassland) you can gift the improvement. Seems, if not buggy, inconsistent behaviour. Although Ive played a lot of games without this happening so prob rare enough not to worry about.

the city state havent discovered industrialization I think. have anyone tested about paying to improve strategics before the CS have the tech?

Would it work if you sent a worker to build, say, a fort on top of the coal in the CS territory if a mine is already there, and then pay the CS to mine the coal?

^ Are workers allowed to destroy CS' improvements? Regardless, whenever there is no mine and you pay to create one, you get the resource.

My last three games: no iron, no coal, no oil. Hard to defend yourself with no frigates, bombers.

The usual source for these resources are city states. Just park a spy in the key ones.

The usual source for these resources are city states. Just park a spy in the key ones.

My spies are too busy stealing the bottom half of the tech tree. :crazyeye:

Would it work if you sent a worker to build, say, a fort on top of the coal in the CS territory if a mine is already there, and then pay the CS to mine the coal?

Nope. I got this situation many times before and tried that. Doesn't work unless you're Portugal so you can build Feitorias. I mean you can destroy their mine and rebuild another one. I don't think Feitorias connect Coals.

This has to be fixed. If they have say, a Trading Post over it you can pay them to get their Coal/Aluminum but you can't replace an outdated Mine.

Top Bottom