Trade Route and City Connection Expansion

So yes, the new system of trade routes is very nice, but I feel there's a few aspects it's a bit lacking on at the moment, and mechanics that would make it much more fleshed out.

-The "route" part of it being emphasized, namely, the interface being less like selecting from a list and deciding what money you get, and more in terms of selecting the trade unit and setting out a course based on its range. This would allow you to actually determine where your trade route passes through, and be able to modify the pathing so that you don't have cargo ships passing through city-states or civs that might opt to declare war on you, or, optionally, determining what cities you do indeed want it to pass through for certain, which brings me to the next point...

-Profit from being in a location that trade routes pass through. I'm surprised this isn't already a factor, given that historically it's been a pretty huge deal. Cities like Venice and Constantinople have historically profited immensely from being on strategic locations that allowed for trade between larger cities. So if a trade route passes through a city, that city should specifically get a little bit of income based on the trade route's net gold for both sides, maybe 5 or 10%. So if say there's a trade route from Gao to Madrid where Songhai and Spain both make 25 GPT off it, and it passes through Ulundi, the Zulu would make maybe 3 to 5 GPT from that. It would emphasize cities being placed in strategic locations along where the game's gold is flowing through, and help to establish more meaningful and consistent trade networks.

-Multi-city trade routes. This sorta ties into the above points, but basically, if you so choose, you can use your trade unit's pathway to specifically hit a multitude of cities and divvy up the profit from each. So if you want to establish a trade route to Istanbul, and there's three high-profit German cities the route could pass through, you could specifically designate the trade route to stop and trade a share of its goods with each of those German cities. That means you'd only get 25% of the income from Istanbul itself, but could potentially get more than Istanbul could offer in total by stopping by those German cities, especially in terms of Science and religious pressure bonuses, which would be somewhat less divided up.

-Trade route embarkation. This would mean a system less based on a solid matter of Caravans and Cargo Ships, and more flexible, where you could send land trade routes through other port cities to convert that route into a sea trade route, or vice versa. This would emphasize port cities being used as centers of shipping and processing, and allow greater options based on what is surely a possibility. Even if your capital of Washington is totally landlocked, you should be able to use the profitable resources and your port city of New York to send a trade route across the sea to Paris or so, and use that to bring greater income than if you had just sent it directly from New York.

-Mixed internal and external trade routes. Basically, using the example above, you could have the option of using New York simply as an embarkation port, OR you could use the multi-city route option to do a sort of mixed trade route. You'd only end up getting half of the gold from Paris, but you could choose to give 50% of the food or production from a typical internal trade route to grow New York. This would allow the option of growing those vital port cities into high-pop and high-production cities while retaining their importance as centers of economic trade.

-Trade route profitability is increased if a road connects those cities. This seems like common sense, really. Your trade routes should be faster and more effective if they actually have a route to follow. This would encourage international connection of roadways, instead of having them largely limited to your own cities, and also make it worthwhile to potentially keep CS road connections when they ask for it, instead of immediately removing the road once you get the influence, which just seems silly.

-Railroad connections make trade routes more profitable. Seems like a no-brainer, really.

-Tourism from trade routes shouldn't be a direct 25% modifier, but rather, be based on the tourism and culture of the cities it's between. A little trade route between Pyongyang and Yakutsk should not mean that the tourism of Seoul is flooding the people of Moscow. This just seems like common sense.

-Speaking of which, railroad connections should have an amplified effect on that very tourism bonus along a trade route. Really, railroads need to be a bigger deal. Historically they were HUGE, like, responsible for a lot of advanced processes, but all they do in-game is purely industrial applications, completely ignoring the high level of travel to and from many places. Hell, the Hotel should be in the Railroad tech as it practically states in the civilopedia itself. Really, just, railroad connections should make those trade routes super profitable with increased science, food/production, religious pressure, tourism, I guess maybe even Culture as Morocco, yes.

-Number of cities has an impact on trade routes, without some sort of total hard cap on trade networks regardless of if you have 4 cities or 40. I've gone the full way and suggested a system where assigning trade routes has a system more like Great Works, where Harbors and Caravansaries have Trade Route slots, and Petra/the Colossus/Commerce finisher/Exploration finishers add to those slots, and individual cities can only base so many trade routes out of them, but you can actually expand your trade network by founding more cities. But in lieu of that, even something as simple as having 1 additional global trade route for each city owned, and those tech-associated trade routes being changed to make those trade routes have more range and profitability would be nice. It just completely baffles me that you can have 50 cities covering every square inch of a continent, and your trade network is smaller than a tiny 1-city civ because they built the Colossus and Petra early on. The thing is, let's be honest, having a massive empire is worthless in this game right now. Owning an entire continent is likely to severely cripple your capacity for growth and technological progress. But having trade routes more dependent on number of cites would be the very solution for this. It would be something you could take action to do. Passive modifiers making wide empires more powerful isn't the solution, because passive modifiers are boring. The trade route system allows for you to take active modifiers on the growth and prosperity of your empire. This way, it's less "You cannot found 50 cities" or "Sure, you can found 50 cities", but more "If you are smart with your trade network and settle a strategically useful bit of land, a 50th city will be both possible and profitable". As it stands, a city-state is likely to be dozens of times richer than a civilization that covers an entire continent, and that seems just totally backwards. Would that make wide empires too good? ...Yes, if you're willing to put the work in, and that's entirely the point. That's the 2nd X in 4X: expand. There should be viable profits from expanding, but right now cities are practically a liability if you have too much, and you have no option to make them worthwhile. This is that option. A well-planned trade network, especially with all these aforementioned expansions in place, should have the capacity to make a 50-city massive empire into an immensely powerful nation, like it has since basically the dawn of mankind.

-Cargo ships should have little camel logos on their sides because yesssssss

Yes, yes, yes!

I definitely agree with the land and sea trade route being integrated part - right now if you want a sea route you need to have a port city, which is silly. You should be able to get a route that goes through someone else - a city state, or another civ - but for a fee.

I visited Regensburg recently in Germany. This town basically made money by being on a confluence of roads, and also an important crossing for the Danube in medieval times. They built the first stone bridge across the Danube, which means that when floods blew everyone else's wooden bridge away, theirs would still be there and traders would know it - so they'd cross it (and pay the town the fees you need to do so). This took place until trade routes shifted by Reformation - when they started losing power and money.

None of this is currently reflected in the game. I think having a city that's on a choke point is really significant and should mean something. I've also seen cities that act as canal for trade routes where the sea is on both sides, and ships pass through it (or have to take a giant detour) and the city itself does not benefit in any way from the route - which is crazy.

Oh oh oh, and one last minor detail.

-Selecting a trade unit in the middle of a route gives you the option to terminate the trade route, upon which it will return to your city at its movement pace (if it's on the other end of the world, it won't return to you instantly, but move along the map, is what I mean). Alongside that, any time a trade unit is in one of your cities, you have the option of re-assigning it by selecting it, instead of only being able to do so once the trade route's turn timer is over. This is just so that you have a bit more control over the units and are able to tell them to stop and turn back, in case you decide you want to send it elsewhere for the time being, or accidentally misclicked.

...oh and one last one.

-Trade units provide a sight radius. Basically they won't disappear into the fog of war, and will actually show you what's going on around them, though they'd only have a sight range of one. Just seems odd to me that they just sorta vanish and never provide any insight as to what's going on in these foreign lands, even though oftentimes small amounts of information from merchants were surprisingly valuable. I mean, caravan runners shared the Chinese secret of paper with the rest of the world, you can't mean to tell me they have no idea if the cities they travel to are building up a high-tech military force or are in awe at the works of Great Artists, right?

-The "route" part of it being emphasized, namely, the interface being less like selecting from a list and deciding what money you get, and more in terms of selecting the trade unit and setting out a course based on its range. This would allow you to actually determine where your trade route passes through, and be able to modify the pathing so that you don't have cargo ships passing through city-states or civs that might opt to declare war on you, or, optionally, determining what cities you do indeed want it to pass through for certain, which brings me to the next point...

I agree. I've been playing a TSL-map game as Spain, and wanted to run a trade route from my city near Krakatoa to Mecca. But rather than take a sensible route, the cargo ship ran right through Siam- and Kuala Lampur-owned territory. Now, thankfully I'm on good terms with both, but if Siam and I went to war - bang, there goes 20+ GPT. Surely, Firaxis, it couldn't be THAT hard to implement the option to actually decide where a trade route runs?

-Profit from being in a location that trade routes pass through. I'm surprised this isn't already a factor, given that historically it's been a pretty huge deal. Cities like Venice and Constantinople have historically profited immensely from being on strategic locations that allowed for trade between larger cities. So if a trade route passes through a city, that city should specifically get a little bit of income based on the trade route's net gold for both sides, maybe 5 or 10%. So if say there's a trade route from Gao to Madrid where Songhai and Spain both make 25 GPT off it, and it passes through Ulundi, the Zulu would make maybe 3 to 5 GPT from that. It would emphasize cities being placed in strategic locations along where the game's gold is flowing through, and help to establish more meaningful and consistent trade networks.

Completely agree. If combined with the above point, it also would mean you could deliberately not route a trade route through a rival Civ's city to hurt them economically. To counterbalance this, I'd suggest that routing a trade route through a city should grant the trade route certain degree of protection (as in, unpillage-able by Barbs if within that city's workable tile radius.)

-Multi-city trade routes. This sorta ties into the above points, but basically, if you so choose, you can use your trade unit's pathway to specifically hit a multitude of cities and divvy up the profit from each. So if you want to establish a trade route to Istanbul, and there's three high-profit German cities the route could pass through, you could specifically designate the trade route to stop and trade a share of its goods with each of those German cities. That means you'd only get 25% of the income from Istanbul itself, but could potentially get more than Istanbul could offer in total by stopping by those German cities, especially in terms of Science and religious pressure bonuses, which would be somewhat less divided up.

I can see no reason why this isn't implemented already.

-Trade route embarkation. This would mean a system less based on a solid matter of Caravans and Cargo Ships, and more flexible, where you could send land trade routes through other port cities to convert that route into a sea trade route, or vice versa. This would emphasize port cities being used as centers of shipping and processing, and allow greater options based on what is surely a possibility. Even if your capital of Washington is totally landlocked, you should be able to use the profitable resources and your port city of New York to send a trade route across the sea to Paris or so, and use that to bring greater income than if you had just sent it directly from New York.

I agree (noticing a pattern, yet?). I'd suggest also combining this with the removal of the bonus from sea-based trade routes, thereby giving you a valid reason to actually build Caravans.

-Mixed internal and external trade routes. Basically, using the example above, you could have the option of using New York simply as an embarkation port, OR you could use the multi-city route option to do a sort of mixed trade route. You'd only end up getting half of the gold from Paris, but you could choose to give 50% of the food or production from a typical internal trade route to grow New York. This would allow the option of growing those vital port cities into high-pop and high-production cities while retaining their importance as centers of economic trade.

This would give you a valid reason to actually use internal trade routes. I like it!

-Trade route profitability is increased if a road connects those cities. This seems like common sense, really. Your trade routes should be faster and more effective if they actually have a route to follow. This would encourage international connection of roadways, instead of having them largely limited to your own cities, and also make it worthwhile to potentially keep CS road connections when they ask for it, instead of immediately removing the road once you get the influence, which just seems silly.

Yeah, right now the increase in Caravan range given by roads is pointless. This makes sense.

-Railroad connections make trade routes more profitable. Seems like a no-brainer, really.

As above, the increase in Caravan range given by railroads is also pointless. This also makes sense.

-Tourism from trade routes shouldn't be a direct 25% modifier, but rather, be based on the tourism and culture of the cities it's between. A little trade route between Pyongyang and Yakutsk should not mean that the tourism of Seoul is flooding the people of Moscow. This just seems like common sense.

Exactly. Gives you a valid reason to make your capital/main culture city the center of your empire's trade network as well.

-Speaking of which, railroad connections should have an amplified effect on that very tourism bonus along a trade route. Really, railroads need to be a bigger deal. Historically they were HUGE, like, responsible for a lot of advanced processes, but all they do in-game is purely industrial applications, completely ignoring the high level of travel to and from many places. Hell, the Hotel should be in the Railroad tech as it practically states in the civilopedia itself. Really, just, railroad connections should make those trade routes super profitable with increased science, food/production, religious pressure, tourism, I guess maybe even Culture as Morocco, yes.

Uh, yeah, railroads had a "kind of" big impact on trade and culture and tourism and and and...
Don't get why they're so useless in-game.

-Number of cities has an impact on trade routes, without some sort of total hard cap on trade networks regardless of if you have 4 cities or 40. I've gone the full way and suggested a system where assigning trade routes has a system more like Great Works, where Harbors and Caravansaries have Trade Route slots, and Petra/the Colossus/Commerce finisher/Exploration finishers add to those slots, and individual cities can only base so many trade routes out of them, but you can actually expand your trade network by founding more cities. But in lieu of that, even something as simple as having 1 additional global trade route for each city owned, and those tech-associated trade routes being changed to make those trade routes have more range and profitability would be nice. It just completely baffles me that you can have 50 cities covering every square inch of a continent, and your trade network is smaller than a tiny 1-city civ because they built the Colossus and Petra early on. The thing is, let's be honest, having a massive empire is worthless in this game right now. Owning an entire continent is likely to severely cripple your capacity for growth and technological progress. But having trade routes more dependent on number of cites would be the very solution for this. It would be something you could take action to do. Passive modifiers making wide empires more powerful isn't the solution, because passive modifiers are boring. The trade route system allows for you to take active modifiers on the growth and prosperity of your empire. This way, it's less "You cannot found 50 cities" or "Sure, you can found 50 cities", but more "If you are smart with your trade network and settle a strategically useful bit of land, a 50th city will be both possible and profitable". As it stands, a city-state is likely to be dozens of times richer than a civilization that covers an entire continent, and that seems just totally backwards. Would that make wide empires too good? ...Yes, if you're willing to put the work in, and that's entirely the point. That's the 2nd X in 4X: expand. There should be viable profits from expanding, but right now cities are practically a liability if you have too much, and you have no option to make them worthwhile. This is that option. A well-planned trade network, especially with all these aforementioned expansions in place, should have the capacity to make a 50-city massive empire into an immensely powerful nation, like it has since basically the dawn of mankind.

This also gives you a valid reason to colonize. Right now, there's really no point to settling in such a way to allow you to more easily set up trade routes (that each garner +1 or +2 GPT, but that's another rant.)

-Selecting a trade unit in the middle of a route gives you the option to terminate the trade route, upon which it will return to your city at its movement pace (if it's on the other end of the world, it won't return to you instantly, but move along the map, is what I mean). Alongside that, any time a trade unit is in one of your cities, you have the option of re-assigning it by selecting it, instead of only being able to do so once the trade route's turn timer is over. This is just so that you have a bit more control over the units and are able to tell them to stop and turn back, in case you decide you want to send it elsewhere for the time being, or accidentally misclicked.

Yes. This would also give you an opportunity to DoW someone to whom you have trade routes going if you're asked to do so by another Civ and/or they tick you off ([insert evil laugh here]).

-Trade units provide a sight radius. Basically they won't disappear into the fog of war, and will actually show you what's going on around them, though they'd only have a sight range of one. Just seems odd to me that they just sorta vanish and never provide any insight as to what's going on in these foreign lands, even though oftentimes small amounts of information from merchants were surprisingly valuable. I mean, caravan runners shared the Chinese secret of paper with the rest of the world, you can't mean to tell me they have no idea if the cities they travel to are building up a high-tech military force or are in awe at the works of Great Artists, right?

I don't understand why this isn't the case already. A large sight radius would be overpowered, but seeing as how you can send Great Prophets into enemy territory to do some spying, I don't get why trade units (which, let's face it, did way more in terms of gathering information about enemies/potential enemies than did religious figures) don't have this ability too.

-Cargo ships should have little camel logos on their sides because yesssssss

Well, I dunno about that...

Fabulous suggestions! Such changes would make the game more realistic and historically accurate.

Actually nope. If I'm at war with Shaka and I control a vital location in his trade network I want to make him poor. If I'm Shaka I'll just take that vital location.

How about Gao and Madrid just sending caravans at Ulundi? Merchandise from Gao to Ulundi makes Zulu city richer making it more attractive to Spanish traders? Maybe we could do like, if Gao has Gold and Madrid has Marble, when Beijing connects to Ulundi it receives bonus from Gold+Marble+Wine(stuff at Ulundi)+Incense(stuff at Ulundi) and brings Silk from its hometown? Portugal would be buffed to Venice level then.

Confusing.

The idea is already there with caravan range bonus.

Tourism doesn't just mean people visiting museums, it also means how culture from one country is perceived on the other. (That's why they rebel against their leader out of "tourism"!) Trade route between Korea and Russia means Russian products on the Korean shop shelves and Korean music on Russian television, which makes sense.

Production bonus is already enough, 20% is big when you really think about it. Railroads were important because cars were too expensive in 19th/first half of 20th century and highways were very rare.

I was thinking of a system similar to Supply one for the military, more cities or population=more trade routes. This one is very good as well.

No termination and the rest is great. Don't play flip-flop with your traders, protect them until the contract is void. Plus if I'm at war with Shaka I want to plunder his trade routes, so no canceling trade routes.

Hmm, sounds interesting but they shouldn't have a sight radius, that's too easy to abuse. I was thinking of a system where trade units give "intrigues" similar to what your Spies do, representing stock holders who own businesses overseas picking up newspapers to know what's going on in that country, or Japan practicing Isolationism but talking to European traders to know what's going on in the West. As for the Chinese secret of paper, there's the "beaker leak" already there.

I like most of those ideas in principle, but in practice I think that a lot of them will be too complicated. I don't know if I want to spend all my time directing trade routes or setting up half-internal trade routes. The one that I do really like a lot though while not requiring too much micromanagement is having cities poach some of the trade route gold each time it goes through its territory. Maybe 20% of the total generated trade route gold for each turn that the unit spends in the territory of a civ besides the two who are actually trading go to the owner of that territory. So if in a true start locations map, Lisbon sends a trade route to Venice, from which Lisbon earns 13 :c5gold:/turn and Venice 7:c5gold:/turn, then each turn in which it stops within the territory of the English city of Gibraltar, Lizzy gets 4:c5gold:. That would actually make you think more about city placement too.

Why some of the ideas sound nice, it sounds like way too much micromanagement to me. Each idea sounds like it would add another few minutes to each one of my turns.

This is probably the big one for me. In my current game I've created an equivalent to Panama or Suez in that most of the trade routes I can see go through my city but I get no benefit. At the very least it could tie into Open Borders.

I think bring able to route is also quite important. Maybe have that as an option that players can turn on or off. Often times there are equidistant routes but the auto routing takes you through open lands when you can take it through safer lands like CS. In those cases I wish I can pick and choose

Top Bottom