[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

Hey Nameless is there some way you can make it so that warriors are not unbuildable after the discovery of certain techs? I have had this problem when in the fantasy game discovering heraldry(gunpowder) removes the first unit that you can build, which are cheap and still useful throughout the whole game unlike in the original game.

It could just be your fancy new 8.1 windows is unable to handle CIV2! ;)

I would recommend turning off the CPU patch, and then running CIV2,
and turn off each patch until performance is normal...Process of elimination!

Best way to track bugs, I've found.

I switched to windows 7 because windows 8 not as good with older games

Hi, TNO.

I remembered an old and small tool called 'civtweak' from the old days (16 years - no wonder I forgot about it). It was a tool to quickly alter an already finished scenario (you could change things that you couldn't do any more normally) without using the civ2 editor itself anew: like civ colours, city style, difficulty and barbarian level, even set bloodlust on/off.

Well, the more interesting thing was that you could alter the barbarians, too! Not only their aggression level, but also their gold and even their form of government. The funny thing is, I remember I established once an embassy in a barbarian city and the ambassador told me of their technological progress from time to time. I was very astonished, the barbarians were actually democratic and seemed to do some research (faster than me because they had so many towns in that scenario!).

Maybe there's a simple way to install them this way as the 8th civ (which can't be chosen by a player nor colonize)? If they are able to do some research, you would only have to tell them to produce the newest units and not only the ones that conquered the city.

Here is the tool, it used to work with MGE, I haven't tried it with TOT yet. It could be used on already finished scenarios and gamesaves only in order to make some later changes you usually could only choose before the game. Maybe you want to have a look at it.

Edit: WOW - it works on TOT, too. I've just altered Monkey's Spanish Civil War Scenario into "simplified combat" with two clicks! That means the barbarians' options could work, too.

Attachments

• Barbaren-Editor.zip
    230.6 KB · Views: 142
One thing I've noticed, is that if a civ in a mod resides in just one of the three slots for a color, and some of the events in events.txt uses that civ; when starting a new game, especially with less than 7 civs for the game, the events.txt will fail to load, and thus stop working, even though the named civ legitimately exists in rules.txt.

Would it be possible to allow the game to make exceptions allowing events to load when a custom civ named in rules.txt and events.txt isn't loaded during game setup?

Not yet unfortunately. He encountered an unforseen problem forcing him to push it back to at least 0.13. :undecide:

EDIT: I just tried using the extra terrain thing for the first time. Instant crash. Can some one explain to me how it is supposed to work?

Attachments

• crash2.zip
    148.8 KB · Views: 176
First off, belated thanks for and congratulations on this extraordinary undertaking! I remember when it first came out I wasn't sure what differentiated it from Mastermind's patch so I went with the latter; then last February while I was trying to find a fix for the game hanging up, ToTPP cropped up again. I couldn't believe how far it had come! At this rate, in five years you might just achieve my dream engine: Civ3 modability on the Civ2 platform. :cool:

In the time it took me to get around to a proper response, you've gone and implemented most of the features I'd hoped for. :p Given the DirectShow Music option, would you be able to expand support to the original Civ2 soundtrack? Even though the songs are listed in Game.txt, neither ToT nor MGE made use of them.

Godspeed on your fantastic work!

I just noticed a very strange bug. I started a game, made a first turn save (4000bc), made a mistake with the capital city placement, reloaded the save I just made, and everything went fine, when all of a sudden a few dozen turns in, research came to a dead stop out of nowhere. When the late 1700's rolled around and I had not a single wonder announcement from the AI tribes, something seemed up. I pressed Y to see that everyone suffered the same halt in research. I looked at the scenario options, and noticed that for some reason, the research fraction set itself to 0/10 out of nowhere, all by itself.

Attachments

• wtfbugs1.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 152
  • lolwtf1.jpg
    lolwtf1.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 158
Not yet unfortunately. He encountered an unforseen problem forcing him to push it back to at least 0.13. :undecide:

EDIT: I just tried using the extra terrain thing for the first time. Instant crash. Can some one explain to me how it is supposed to work?

It worked first time for me...The instructions are fairly simple.

You must edit the rules file as the launcher text tells you.
Extend the gfx file to show your new terrain, then add the line of terrain values
after the Ocean, or "Oce" line. Then add the bonus tile values...Just follow the
instructions...I assume you added your rules for us to check...

I will take a look.

For the terrain crash, did you look at wtfbugs1.zip or crash2.zip? Because I have two zip files posted on this page. Crash2.zip contains the terrain settings I tried using. It also contains the extra terrain gfx as well, which is a tundra tile with a blue "T", since I was testing to see how well I could do it.

Wtfbugs1.zip contains an entirely different bug unrelated to my terrain issues, which occurred after I tried the terrain feature.

EDIT: When you mentioned the rules.txt, I went ahead and double-checked it myself. Turns out I forgot to add the extra entry for it under @TRANSFORM. :hammer2: I added it, and it works now. :) Thank you for the help! :)

EDIT 2: And they're immune to global warming too! Excellent. :evil:

Hi PlutonianEmpire,

EDIT 2: And they're immune to global warming too! Excellent. :evil:

Why is your terrain immune to global warming? What did you do to make it so?

I'm asking because I've run into a major obstacle on my own project whereby I'm getting the effects of global warming even though I've set the 'No Pollution' flag to off in the scenario parameters. I've tried different solutions to resolve the problem, like giving the Environmental and Sanitation tech and the Mass Transit and Recycling Center city improvements to my cities but it's made no difference whatsoever (they should all have helped reduce pollution).

I'm using three maps in my scenario and some of my testing leads me to believe that the problem seems to occur only, or primarily, when I add the third map.

In any case, when I quickly run the game I find that the map's terrain gets transformed every 14 turns or so because of global warming, which is a completely unacceptable situation for a historically based scenario. I need to figure out how to fix this.

Any input from a fellow designer might give me insight into what the problem is and how to resolve it.

My terrain that was immune to AGW was because it was using the "More Terrain Types" feature. The one new terrain type that I added, THAT was immune to AGW. The rest however, the default terrain types, changed normally. Hope this helps clarify things. :)

Hi Techumseh and PlutonianEmpire,

I'm sorry Tootall, I have no experience with this, although I know that a scenario can be hex-edited to eliminate global warming. I don't know who is left that can do this, however. Perhaps Catfish?

Unfortunately, as I indicated in my last Vietnam War thread, see post #58, though I reviewed Catfish's site and the Hex Edit document, I can't seem to find the offset/column of the binary that controls the on/off pollution flag within the scenario save file. Hopefully, as you indicated, perhaps Catfish or TNO might be able to help.

My terrain that was immune to AGW was because it was using the "More Terrain Types" feature. The one new terrain type that I added, THAT was immune to AGW. The rest however, the default terrain types, changed normally. Hope this helps clarify things. :)

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Actually, I'm a bit concerned about the pollution idea, as well. Although I too have disabled pollution GENERATION and only have one map in my KW scenario, I just slapped down a bunch of renamed pollution tiles to mark the AoO Boundary in a way I thought (and still hope) would be purely cosmetic. Will so much pre-generated pollution trigger the global warming effect?

I don't believe this should be an issue. I placed pollution tiles in my Battle of France scenario to represent the national borders and set the scenario pollution flag to off and I never had any problem.

Besides I think there's a difference between pollution that's generated by your cities and simple pollution tiles placed on the map (as far as I understand it's not the tiles themselves that cause the pollution but the city population and production).

In any case, it's easy to test, simply freeze (sleep) all your units and run the game by repeatedly pressing enter to make the turns go by fast. You will see very quickly if pollution is being generated by the pollution icon found in the status screen (on the right side). If there no icon it's because there's no pollution.

I think my problem is probably unique. Maybe my .scn file was corrupted.

I'm Lost...

Installed ToT from original CD german version. Patched to v1.1 german version. CD in CD Player. Copied the Files for v0.12.1 Patch from The Nameless One into the Folder. Started launcher and i get the message, that civ2.exe version is unknown and not patched.

Another try with the english patch to v1.1 on the german version yields the same results.

What am i doing wrong ?

System is Win 7 64Bit SP1

Top Bottom