Modders Guide to FfH2

I think it means that the terrain or improvement doesn't really exist, or rather that the xml for it doesn't really do much. For instance, if you remove the peaks and hills completely or dractically change the way they work (namely by unselecting this) then they will be put in anyway, possibel with another type of hill/peaks existing as well. These things are really hardcoded into the game engine somehow.

how do you change the rate at which adepts/priests gain xp?
there used to be a value in the global defines in the xml/editor, but i couldn't find it.

The source code for version 30 is linked in the first post.

Great. Btw, will there be any more "content" or balance updates to the Shadow phase, or just bug-fix patches before Ice is released?

Great. Btw, will there be any more "content" or balance updates to the Shadow phase, or just bug-fix patches before Ice is released?

Oh yeah. Definitly more of everything. The Shadow design doc isn't finished yet so we have more features to add. Im especially interested in really bulking up the events through the next few versions (0.31, 0.32, etc) and of course we have to check in the design contest winning entries.

We won't be starting "Ice" for at least a few months.

So will espionage be added? If only CoE is going to get espionage, or if the espionage system as it was in BTS isn't going to be used at all, could get back the graphs at least?

So will espionage be added? If only CoE is going to get espionage, or if the espionage system as it was in BTS isn't going to be used at all, could get back the graphs at least?

No plans to add the espionage system as it is in BtS. Some espionage features may be linked to religions/wonders but in general I would like to get base information graphs back open to everyone.

I really wish there was some way to use the new spy abilities (poison water, support revolt, steal tech, etc); I'm not really a fan of pre-BtS type sabataging and stealing plans. I think it would be nice if the active epsionage abilities were tied to the Council Esus and the passive ones to the Empyrean. Thus, Esus units could really reak havok on the world, but the Empyrean would be able to passively expose them and to gainf free line of sight (lightbringers were known for scrying). I don't think these abilities should be tied to state religion but to the religion's presence in cities/units of that religion. I'm not sure how the actual points would work. Maybe Empyrean temples could grant espionage points (which might need renaming), but actual espianage missions would be switched to using gold instead of these points.

Yeah, but unfourtunately it doesn't seem to work on my family's home PC. :( The Patches work fine, but not the main mod or the media pack.

I dropped my laptop a few weeks ago, and just got it back less tha an hour ago. They had to replace the hard drive, so I lost everything (I didn't want to pay $259+ for a back up), including the operating system. Right now I'm running the recovery DVD, hoping that will at least get the OS back and let me install Civ IV/BtS/FfH.

Out of curiosity, Kael, how did you guys get the elven improvements working in .30? I know in earlier versions they were considered different buildtypes, but now it looks like it's hardcoded into the SDK.

I'm working on adding a spell/wonder combo somewhat like Sirona's Touch, that turns normal workers into elven ones, but it doesn't seem to work (the transformation itself works fine, but the elven workers are just as limited as the normal ones). Is there a way to change this hardcoding to look for the unit type, not the civ? And where would I look for it?

The code is in CvPlot::changeBuildProgress. You'll need to change it there.

If I wanted to add a wonder, can I just submit the updated XML files and I guess whatever graphics you guys need? I've done some development (Java, C++, SQL, etc., etc), but not python.

The wonder I was thinking of was a special wonder for the Kuriotates that lets them have an extra real city (suggested it in the .30 changelog thread). It's something extra for them to balance "The City of a Thousand Slums".

This is assuming Kael will include it if I submit it, but on the other hand doing the work not to have it included seems a bit pointless too :).

First of all it is not pointless. You always will learn something.

Secondly, Kael will probably NOT include it. There are thousands of suggestions here, hundreds of minimods and changes and if Kael would include only 1/4th of them the mod would not be consistent. Kael doe it like a real developer. He has A PLAN. Makes documentation, splits the development in phases, etc. The mod is ready on paper [as we heard], he is now implementing his ideas and balancing them. Something that is handed to him must be very cohesive with his idea, they steal ideas from the forum all the time, but it has to be good and he has to like it [or the team]

The only sure thing that your idea will go into the mod is to win a design contest.

A new wonder would really only require xml (and the graphics, if you don't want to reuse something else freom FfH, BtS, Worlords, or Vanilla), but some special abilities of wonders (like removing disease/enervated/plague, giving promotions to units in the city rather than just those built there, etc) would require python.

Python is probably the easier coding language to use, since it is practically just pseudocode. (I started in Java, and find that Java is similar but simpler, although I do get annoyed at how it uses indentation instead of brackets to determines whether conditionals, loops, etc start and end. Accidentally typing a space instead causes errors for no clear reason, and some java software's solution to this is to turn all tabs into spaces and make you go through the whole file changing everything.)

There is almost no chance that it will get into the mod, but I wouldn't say it is pointless to add something to your version for your own enjoyment.

If I wanted to add a wonder, can I just submit the updated XML files and I guess whatever graphics you guys need? I've done some development (Java, C++, SQL, etc., etc), but not python.

The wonder I was thinking of was a special wonder for the Kuriotates that lets them have an extra real city (suggested it in the .30 changelog thread). It's something extra for them to balance "The City of a Thousand Slums".

This is assuming Kael will include it if I submit it, but on the other hand doing the work not to have it included seems a bit pointless too :).

It's never pointless to create your own modmods. Why not put it up on the forum? If it gains enough popularity, chances are kael and the team will at least consider it. Generally though, unless you come up with something really amazing, you aren't likely to get it into the main mod.

If you really do want something of yours in the mod, i'd suggest maybe trying your hand at making unique graphics. If you're any good at CG, new graphics for as-yet unloved units is a real winner.

Top Bottom