Civ 5/Steam:Offline Mode Question

Really, if it was just one factor I was unhappy with, I'd probably grumble and get on with it- but it's a combination of things.

Likewise. I'd be alot more comfortable with an online activation system if 2K was handling it themselves, and would probably go along with it even though I don't really like the idea. But having a third-party do it for them just adds too many variables, enough so that I'm probably going to pass on the game. I certainly won't be getting it on release day, the way I had originally planned.

I apologize, I possessed out dated information, thank you for correcting me

What didn't you like?

The fact that I needed Steam to be running to play games in Single-player mode.

The fact that Steam could, if it wanted to, take my games away. I know they wouldn't without a reason, but I may not agree with that reason- why chance it.

Some bugginess and glitchiness that occasionally kept me from playing my games

Spam messages.

Cumbersome interface (an extra , so not really a big complaint)

Steam is TOLERABLE, but I don't consider it something I'd want at all- and give me a choice between Steam and non-Steam, I'll pay more for non-Steam.

Steam is TOLERABLE, but I don't consider it something I'd want at all- and give me a choice between Steam and non-Steam, I'll pay more for non-Steam.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

No, it will also run DirectX 11. At least according to what I've been reading on the net.

I'd like to know that as well.

Well I hope that's case, it would be awfully stupid requiring a download that large. It would pretty much exclude all dial-up users, and even many broadband ones that have a limited bandwidth arrangement with their ISPs. It would also make buying a retail version a farce. At 1 gig you'd only be buying an installer, not the game itself.
The 1 GB update was mentioner on the 2K forum by a senior poster, and not denied by 2K Elizabeth, which it would have been if it was unlikely.
Regardless, "cities XL" has a 500 Meg (bytes) update at install, and it was just posted by another person on the 2K forum of a game he has which had a 1.5GB update download on install.
I am still waiting for any answer, even "go to hell", from 2K Elizabeth on this issue and transferability of the patches and updates. I suspect I will be waiting a long time.

The 1 GB update was mentioner on the 2K forum by a senior poster, and not denied by 2K Elizabeth, which it would have been if it was unlikely.
Regardless, "cities XL" has a 500 Meg (bytes) update at install, and it was just posted by another person on the 2K forum of a game he has which had a 1.5GB update download on install.
I am still waiting for any answer, even "go to hell", from 2K Elizabeth on this issue and transferability of the patches and updates. I suspect I will be waiting a long time.

Sins of the Father/Brother, Firaxis maybe be part of 2K, BUT it is probably the same way the company always has

There are a lot of steam users in here, so here is my questions.. I really mean this as curiousity on how it works, not saying how much I disagree with the whole thing. Cause really its a dead horse that isn't going to change. (Yea greed!)

when ya install the game there will be an executable right?

1) when ya install the game there will be an executable right? So when you first load it.. does it then bring up steam for authorization?

2) After that point can you run the game without steam running at all (I have seen this question asked and answered multiple ways I am sure there are games that are on steam that you don't have to log into steam to run... is this not one of them. Do you have to run in offline mode to run the game at all?

3)Can you play lan games in offline mode, or off steam completly? (This is more a steam question then Civ5 but still important)

This is all I want to know as I rarely play games like this online, I am hoping maybe to avoid steam completly..

1) when ya install the game there will be an executable right? So when you first load it.. does it then bring up steam for authorization?

Yes.

2) After that point can you run the game without steam running at all (I have seen this question asked and answered multiple ways I am sure there are games that are on steam that you don't have to log into steam to run... is this not one of them. Do you have to run in offline mode to run the game at all?

No. Steam won't allow you to close it until all games (running under Steam) have been closed as well. If there are exceptions to this rule, I haven't encountered them. In any case, I'm guessing Civ5 will require Steam running in the background (system tray) all the time while playing.

3)Can you play lan games in offline mode, or off steam completly? (This is more a steam question then Civ5 but still important)

You still need to have Steam running in the background, but the LAN itself can be independent of Steam. As long as the developers allows this option, that is. If that's the case, offline LAN shouldn't be a problem either.

Thanks for the answers... even though I don't like them it is still good to know heh :p

I wouldn't put much stock in 2K Elizabeth's silence. I get the distinct impresssion that she doesn't have a clue what's going on with the game. Frankly I think she's doing a pretty crappy job of PR. With all the arguing that's been going on here she should have had much more of a presence on the forum, providing all the information we need in order to get an informed understanding of how things are going to work. But I've rarely seen any posts by her at all here. Yet another reason why I'm inclined to avoid this game, 2K seems to not care how anyone feels about their new Steam partnership. If they don't care about my concerns, why should I help them make any money?

Don't assume something is true because I don't post a rebuttal. Sometimes I miss things.

None of this stuff has been finalized, so it would be impossible to know the details yet. However, I think it is unlikely to demand a 1 gig update. When I have complete details, you'll hear about them from me directly.

I wouldn't put much stock in 2K Elizabeth's silence. I get the distinct impresssion that she doesn't have a clue what's going on with the game. Frankly I think she's doing a pretty crappy job of PR. With all the arguing that's been going on here she should have had much more of a presence on the forum, providing all the information we need in order to get an informed understanding of how things are going to work. But I've rarely seen any posts by her at all here. Yet another reason why I'm inclined to avoid this game, 2K seems to not care how anyone feels about their new Steam partnership. If they don't care about my concerns, why should I help them make any money?

I take care of all the 2K Games titles, so I split my time between a lot of projects. This is actually one of the few forums I post on that isn't the 2K Forum (because you guys are awesome) but it isn't my full time job, so I will miss things.

Luckily, I'm building up a team and my absences will soon not be a big problem for you. On Monday, a Civilization Community Manager is starting here, and his full time duties will be everything Civ. So you won't have to rely just on me. ;)

Luckily, I'm building up a team and my absences will soon not be a big problem for you. On Monday, a Civilization Community Manager is starting here, and his full time duties will be everything Civ. So you won't have to rely just on me. ;)

Well that's good to hear. With all the controversy this Steam announcement has stirred up, this forum really needs more of a presence from 2K. Just about every thread on the subject has been turning into a war zone between the pros and cons. I can appreciate the fact that you just don't have the time to be here as often as you'd like. Hopefully your new people will prove to be more helpful in brokering some sort of truce.

Well that's good to hear. With all the controversy this Steam announcement has stirred up, this forum really needs more of a presence from 2K. Just about every thread on the subject has been turning into a war zone between the pros and cons. I can appreciate the fact that you just don't have the time to be here as often as you'd like. Hopefully your new people will prove to be more helpful in brokering some sort of truce.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I don't think anyone here would want to change that - but more info will be coming (and with his help) that hopefully will make some people who aren't thrilled right now more excited.

Or make them less so :gripe:
More information *most likely* won't change that they aren't thrilled. Reliable answers would however, be a nice change.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I don't think anyone here would want to change that - but more info will be coming (and with his help) that hopefully will make some people who aren't thrilled right now more excited.

Actually, for many of us it is less about "getting thrilled". It is about getting reliable answers like what will be going to happen with DLC and modifications, restrictions of the latter due to the first, and so on.

Actually, for many of us it is less about "getting thrilled". It is about getting reliable answers like what will be going to happen with DLC and modifications, restrictions of the latter due to the first, and so on.

You'll get those. Guaranteed.

While I doubt I'll ever be excited by this partnership with Steam, at least I won't have to be concerned about unsubstantiated rumours. Like the 1 gig update. As it stands now, I'll be one of those that won't be buying the game as long as I'm being forced to use Steam. Make that optional and I'll be more than happy to pick it up on release date.

While I doubt I'll ever be excited by this partnership with Steam, at least I won't have to be concerned about unsubstantiated rumours. Like the 1 gig update. As it stands now, I'll be one of those that won't be buying the game as long as I'm being forced to use Steam. Make that optional and I'll be more than happy to pick it up on release date.

:goodjob:

Yes :good job: I wish I had as much determination as you, but I cannot refuse Civilization V. (If just to buy it and play civ4 and never get the EPs and DLC :p)

Yes :good job: I wish I had as much determination as you, but I cannot refuse Civilization V. (If just to buy it and play civ4 and never get the EPs and DLC :p)
Well, you're digging the grave of your own gaming. You'll get what you deserve in years to come.

As for me, I'm with Willem : Steam = no deal.
I totally refuse to reward with money an abusive and intrusive "copy protection" that limits my ability to use the game.

Top Bottom