Rage quit when winning

abandag

Warlord
Most of the time if I stop playing a game while I'm in the lead, it's because the game has been going on for too long and I've gotten bored with it. And whenever I rage quit (normally because someone beat me to a Wonder I wanted) it's usually too early to tell who's winning. But today I rage quit while in clearly in the lead.

I was Japan on a small pangea (me and 5 other civs), going for a domination victory. I took out Askia pretty quickly, then moved on to the Mayans, who only had two cities defending with warriors against my samurai. Around this time I was trying to move a samurai next to their city. I clicked on the samurai, but the unit that moved was a crossbowman, leaving the CB in a very vulnerable position. The CB survived, but I was mad because I know I clicked on the samurai. Anyway, I kept going and took out the Mayan capital fairly easily.

Then I moved onto England, who was my biggest competition throughout the game. The Ottomans declared war on England just as I was getting there, so England was fighting a two front war and got overwhelmed. I had a tech lead and my units were more advanced and promoted than the Ottomans even though they had more units, so I decided to go after them right away. There was only one Ottoman city between London and Istanbul, and it fell quickly.

I was get set up around the Ottoman capital when it happened again. I clicked on my musketman to move him, but my cannon was the unit that ended up moving. Right next to two Ottoman pikemen. That's when I rage quit. I was sending reinforcements down, but without that cannon I don't think I would have been able to take down Istanbul when I wanted.

Too much background info? Anyway, I don't think it's a bug with the game, but rather my mouse. It's been acting weird lately. Sometimes it double clicks when I only clikc once, and sometimes I have to click 2 or 3 times for it to click. That's what I think happened. I clicked but the mouse didn't really do anything. And I wasn't paying close enough attention, so it's my own fault.

Anybody else do this, rage quit even though they're in the lead just because of one stupid mistake?

I don't rage quit, but I bored quit :) If I am playing the game, I try my best to overcome obsticals because I want them out of the way. Once I overcome all obsticle though, I am just playing, not playing for a purpose. So I get bored and quit :) I want things to be bad or else it's no fun :D

Btw, the wrong units moving happens to me that exact same way. It's the game trying to predict which unit you actually mean to move, when instead it should just let you move the damn unit you clicked!

The misclick directing a different unit then the one I want happens to me all the time as well. Though I generally either deal or reload. I think it is a flaw in the way the game displays who you are and that sometimes you'll click on a unit to change to it and the interaction thinks you are telling the previous unit to go there. This happens all the time and can be quite annoying. Especially since tactical unit placement is so crucial in a game with no stacking (yeah I went there).

I love the no stacking aspect! No, in real life there isn't anything stopping a tank from rolling in the middle of a front of infantry, but there is no way 10 tank armies, 10 soldier armies, and 10 artillery batteries could be in a single spot of land

You must have an old mouse. If you use it a lot, the "click" gets too weak and won't work well. If your left click sounds quiet compared to your right click (you probably use the left much more), consider buying a new one.

That being said, this happens a lot. It seems like the game "thinks" for a second at the start of a turn, giving you time to pick a unit and where it should go, then auto selecting the "first" unit of the turn. I once sent a missionary across the map, dying because of going though foreign lands, due to this.

Okay this is a completely unrelated question. My signature has mysteriously changed sizes in my browser. It's settings are the same (text sizes are unchanged) but it LOOKS about 1 size smaller for all letters.
Here is my question:
Does my signature look like this to you guys?
Spoiler :

OK, so this is a common problem, sounds like. It's just the first time I ever remember it happening to me in the almost 2 years that I've had the game. Of course, I don't do much warmongering, so I don't encounter this type of situation all that often. I like to click on my units while the previous one is still finishing up its order so I don't jump to the other side of the planet to give my worker an order and then back to the main action. I was probably doing something like this and didn't see that the wrong unit was selected.

I know I need a new mouse too, though. Just no money for things like that right now.

And Nukes, all I see is a red X.

Well someone who can see the picture I put there tell me :b

I loved the no-stacking aspect because stacks were kinda dumb and if I wanted that I would go back to IV.

Yeah, sounds more like rage reload. And I hate reloading.

I usually stop playing when I have 60-70% higher score than the next best AI.
And to get that, I always go to war with the second best civ to knock it down.
It really gets boring after that - you just steamroll everything and that's no fun.
Maybe I should bump up my difficulty to Immortal or something. :shifty:

I don't need failing hardware to make clicking mistakes. I am perfectly capable of doing it all on my own. I decided it wasn't worth going into rage over. If it is a "That's not what I meant" instance I simply re-load. If it is a dumb executive decision, I live with it.

If something typically rage-inducing happens, whether in the lead or not, it is a case of can I recover or not. It is usually worth a try, just for morbid entertainment value. If it doesn't work out, then it is time to mutter "You clever so-and-so" in more florid terms and move on. When I used to play chess, it never bothered me to tip my king over in resignation to another player. It bothers me even less when my opponent won't even remember their undeserved victory tomorrow. ;)

Reloading can take a long while to get back to where you were, especially if you are far into a large game where is takes 10 minutes for an AI to take it's turn. And when you last saved

I don`t rage quit- ever. It`s pointless. I just live with it and take more care. I noticed taking off the 4XMSAA graphic setting and putting it to 2X makes for less accidental mouse clicking.

Opening the mouse and a quick clean does wonders as well.

I Rage Quit because Chieftain is normal and Prince is Deity. How the f*** can Maria Kill my F***ing Spearman and magically take my city no one knows

I do it every time, that "a game is becoming to long and I am in a point where I know I can win and nobody can stop me", that's why I lack so many achievements

I Rage Quit because Chieftain is normal and Prince is Deity. How the f*** can Maria Kill my F***ing Spearman and magically take my city no one knows

If I play prince, I could win a domination game on a large map with everyone against me! Prince is soo easy once you're use to diety

I love the no stacking aspect! No, in real life there isn't anything stopping a tank from rolling in the middle of a front of infantry, but there is no way 10 tank armies, 10 soldier armies, and 10 artillery batteries could be in a single spot of land

I have to disagree. The game info says 'units', not armies. 'Unit' can mean: squad, platoon, company, battalion, brigade, division, etc, depending on size. So, putting multiple units on single spot of land can be realistic. The word 'Army' means infantry, tanks, air support, repair and logistics stacked together for effectiveness. Army of tanks would be a scary concept in terms of realism :)

I have to disagree. The game info says 'units', not armies. 'Unit' can mean: squad, platoon, company, battalion, brigade, division, etc, depending on size. So, putting multiple units on single spot of land can be realistic. The word 'Army' means infantry, tanks, air support, repair and logistics stacked together for effectiveness. Army of tanks would be a scary concept in terms of realism :)

This basically. Originally, the stacking was representing whole armiesIt was simply because the hex did not have enough space to place all the units down on, so they got piled or `stacked`.

Well, that was when people played paper desktop battles, so I guess some of you won`t have a clue what i`m talking about.

Anyway, the way it`s done in CIV5 is easier to read what`s happening, but doesn`t really convey the fact that those 3 soldiers are really meant to be several huge armies on a huge lanscape.

I love Civ V war system. Where terrain matters and tactical decisions on unit placement are made. Civ 4 is primitive - get your stack if doom as thick as you can and annihilate everybody. Boring.

Believe it or not, my Civ V "stack of doom" consists of 2 melee and 4 range immortal units (w/ GG). Starting with swordsmen and composite bowmen and ending with mech infantry and machine guns having all the promotions acquired through ages. I don't use artillery units at all.

Top Bottom