Patronage subtle buff

Furycrab

King
Patronage just got a very very very subtle but important buff.

"We attacked your protected City-State" statements are now triggered by damage done (ex. killing a unit) rather than simply being at war. As a result, the statement should no longer be triggered by a quick succession of DoWs (such as those done automatically by a CS changing allies).

A good strategy on paper was to go patronage for +20 and then Pledge to protect anyone not near some big jerk and you'd get friends at the very least with the ones surrounded mostly by your borders.

In practice if you weren't allies, you'd get caught up in the wars of the rest of the continent no matter how unlikely that a unit of your CS would stroll anywhere near them.

<.<

Good fun.

Coming off a long game culminating in hundreds of years of jockeying for favor of the neighborhood CS with India and Austria, who were also at war with oodles of people, this change will be much appreciated.

There will be lots of small buffs and nerfs, and this is one of them. Even if they do get bullied or attacked, I wonder how that will matter with "There are a number of changes to the duration of city-state interaction penalties, greatly reducing their duration," which sounds like CS's will be less diplomatically important.

Though i guess that is good. It ticks me off that Monty hates me 2000 years later because I didn't back down from protecting a CS (I expect him to hate me, but such a bad reason, not like he even listens to me most of the time).

There will be lots of small buffs and nerfs, and this is one of them. Even if they do get bullied or attacked, I wonder how that will matter with "There are a number of changes to the duration of city-state interaction penalties, greatly reducing their duration," which sounds like CS's will be less diplomatically important.

Though i guess that is good. It ticks me off that Monty hates me 2000 years later because I didn't back down from protecting a CS (I expect him to hate me, but such a bad reason, not like he even listens to me most of the time).

I wonder if it applies to the warmonger penalty. I'm in a Deity game of the ITR scenario (that I'll win once I count down the rest of the turns) and I'm playing as the one of the Islams (Can't remember name, one in north africa). I'm now playing the last 20-25 turns with half the planet hating me because I took Lisbon, but France liberated it back while it was weak so I got double the penalty.

I'll still win mind you, stupidly loaded and equipped with a comfortable point lead over a super huge Austria (whodafunk) but I managed to get the Turks to denounce me.

Top Bottom