Loyal PC gamers finally kicked in teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen that I can't get into Civ4 unless I force myself. But I do want to play a game where you are actually creating something, I mean now I'm stuck in adventures like Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, and Super Mario Galaxy, as well as the occasional game of Smash Bros. Brawl.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a "creating" game? Currently methinks a Total War game would be like Civ except much less time consuming and much more action oriented, which is pretty much what I need. But then I just kinda need a game like SimCity or Railroad Tycoon or whatever.

Just for the record, Sam and Max are coming to the Wii!

not right now...just wait for Spore ;)

So what if a slightly simplefied civ version comes out for consoles? If the designers learn something from that and streamline a few things for the next PC incarnation without sacrificing complexity, I'm fine with that.

As long as the regular PC series isn't dumbed down, what is the problem?

If you realy want to see how bad certain PC Gamers can get visit any forum for any Fallout game (I recommend the official forum for Fallout 3), You will be utterly repulsed and ashamed for ever owning a computer, I guarantee it!
This is a mostly a PC forum and I find the people here usually friendly and helpful. I think what makes the difference is the type of game and the average age of the posters.

I don't think that the PC as a gaming platform will ever disappear, or that it will ever come to pass that "nobody" will care about it. But I don't see it ever becoming my primary gaming platform again, and I think that will be the trend for a lot of people. PC games seem to have gravitated to two extremes. The short, simple, games like TextTwist, Bejewelled, Scrabulous, and other games that are more of a "diversion" than what many gamers would call a "full game experience" are extremely popular and occupy one end of the spectrum. At the other end we have the deep, complex, time-consuming games that are generally not very approachable to people who aren't already experienced with that type of game: multiplayer FPSes, RTS games, a handful of turn-based strategy titles, and MMORPGs. There's not much in the middle anymore.
Well said. If I want to lead an empire through six millenia of history or to save a huge, interactive world from a generic, non-specific evil, I go for PC. If I want to make a huge Russian man kick a small Asian girl through a 7th story window, I go for console. (Personally, FPSs kind of sit in between, although I'm increasingly leaning towards PC.)

Ahhh the old "PC games are dead cry". If I had a $ for everytime I've heard that one.

No way is a Market Space of 500million+ PCs ever going to be "dead" for gaming. Will it change, for sure, all things change and evolve - but die? Never happen, there will always be someone who will innovate and fill the market space as it arises. The current bandwagon is "consoles", the herd will gallop back once that market space is full, and people start looking for something to claim allegance to as "number 1", yawn.

Sid should do well on the console, the demand is certainly there for it on that platform, and good luck to him - he deserves it. The world is not "one size fits all", different spaces for different preferences, always be that way.

As will the doomsayers, always competing to be the first to predict doom, gloom and disaster. They are a bit like an annoying itch that wont go away :twitch:

Regards
Zy

There are several good reasons to make a console version of Civ.

1) It will attract new members to the Civ series. I had never heard of Civilization until I played the Civ II port on my console (PS if I remember correctly). It got me so hooked I now own every Civilization game and expansion put out for PC. If they had never put the game on the console, I might not have jumped abord until cIV.

2) It will allow Civ players to enjoy their game while away from their computer. Sometimes the lady needs to use the computer for dinner recepies. I can hop on my TV and play Civ there. I take my DS to work to pass the time. I can't wait to play Civ on my handheld.

3) The game will work for everyone. I remember when cIV came out and everyone complained that they couldn't get it to run on their computer. There are so many different configurations of PCs that caused massive problems. Some people even blamed the developers for not trying hard enough. Well, you don't have that problem on the consoles. Every PS3 has the same specs. If a game works on one PS3, it will work on all of them. This will help those that couldn't play cIV becuase they had older computers.

4) More money. I know, it's horrible that the company should actually make money. We should all hope they loose money and shut their doors, that will make the civ franchise that much better. [/sarcasm] If the company makes more money on CivRev, that's more money and insentive to make a really good ciV for us PC players.

5) CivRev is not a port. This is good for us. How many games suck on the PC because they need to make it playable on the consoles? If this was ciV (which they claim it isn't), then people would claim they dumbed down the game. They're making a different game, designed for the console, so when they make the next PC game it doesn't have to be dumbed down.

I see no reason for people to be upset. Unless I missed Sid saying he was never going to make a PC game again.

civ rev is prolly best thing rite now, cuz all those new fans will be expecting a better game than civ rev, so when civ v comes the wait will be worth it!!

I have a console and I wish I was a lazy 13 year old again. Alas those days have passed.... about 20 years ago.

Civ V will be great I'm sure, and I'll buy it. However, Civ Rev is a great game and I'm glad it was made.

..................you're saying that PC games don't matter anymore on a CIVILIZATION forum (which is still mostly PC exclusive) that has more than 1,000 maybe even 2,000 members? most of them JUST for civ? wow.......well, Crysis is a good example of highly anticipated......Empire Earth III (though it was a BIG letdown) pretty much any Total war game, Hellgate London......just to name a few

As a long-time non-console gamer I hate to do this, but I've only heard of one of those games.

um...being a subscriber to PC Gamer does not a gamer make.

And if you claim to be a 'PC Gamer' then how come you've never played any of those games? hm? All are PC games, I would have thought that all of those would have been converted by you into reasons why 'PC is better'

Warcraft=one of the best RTS games ever, and home of some of the largest professional gaming tournaments in the world
Starcraft=same as Warcraft...only in space :D and with nukes!
Half-Life series=won more awards with just 2 full games(and 4 smaller games) than any other series in gaming history
Call of Duty=best WWII FPS series hands-down. It originated the historical FPS, and it revolutionized FPS multiplayer with CoD4
Unreal=one of the most popular multiplayer FPS series ever, considered to have some of the most balanced multiplayer of any FPS
Command and Conquer=Highest Rated RTS series, great multiplayer, great, over-the-top stories, and Kane...you can't beat a series with Kane in it.

If you haven't played ANY of the above series, you really can't call yourself a 'serious' gamer...especially not a 'serious' PC gamer.

Woo hoo! I played all those! I can call myself a PC gamer.

Problem is, of course, that I don't own a PC anymore. I can't imagine who would these days. Even if you were desperate enough to play current PC games to actually tolerate Windows, you could still just do that on a Mac and switch back to a real operating system for everything else.

um...being a subscriber to PC Gamer does not a gamer make.

And if you claim to be a 'PC Gamer' then how come you've never played any of those games? hm? All are PC games, I would have thought that all of those would have been converted by you into reasons why 'PC is better'

Warcraft=one of the best RTS games ever, and home of some of the largest professional gaming tournaments in the world
Starcraft=same as Warcraft...only in space :D and with nukes!
Half-Life series=won more awards with just 2 full games(and 4 smaller games) than any other series in gaming history
Call of Duty=best WWII FPS series hands-down. It originated the historical FPS, and it revolutionized FPS multiplayer with CoD4
Unreal=one of the most popular multiplayer FPS series ever, considered to have some of the most balanced multiplayer of any FPS
Command and Conquer=Highest Rated RTS series, great multiplayer, great, over-the-top stories, and Kane...you can't beat a series with Kane in it.

If you haven't played ANY of the above series, you really can't call yourself a 'serious' gamer...especially not a 'serious' PC gamer.

Uhm, CoD didn't originate the historical FPS; Wolfenstein 3D came 11 years before!

And here are some more cult PC series that you can't forget.

Strategy Games - Well, Civilization is a must and I'm quite surprised that Thrallia didn't mention Civ in his post. But Civ is very time consuming. Another strategy game series that wasn't mentioned was Age of Empires; it's the mother of all Historical RTS games. And then there's Total Annihilation. And Homeworld. And Company of Heroes. On Gamespy's Top 25 Most Overrated Games List, Impossible Creatures was #20. Silly Swedishguy.

Shooters - Uhm, where's DOOM? And Swedishguy has played Battlefield 1942, which is probably an essential.

Well, that's all for now.

Wolfenstein 3D wasn't historical, was it? I thought it was some weird alternate reality FPS.

Even if it wasn't, than Battlefield 1942 predated Call of Duty by a year. And then there's Codename: Eagle...

Not to look pathetic, but here's Gamespy's Top 6 Most Memorable Games from October of 1999 to their 4th anniversary.

1. Soul Calibur
2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
3. Codename: Eagle
4. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
5. Grand Theft Auto III
6. Battlefield 1942

Notice BF42 and CE in there. Yep, I guess you can really have loads of fun even on the realistic (but scary!) wartime battlefield.

Is it really so bad that console players are getting a version of civ optimized for their platform? I just don't see the end of the world that some of you do.

Codename: Eagle is widely considered to be the spiritual predecessor to Battlefield 1942.

And even then Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out in 2001. But our current date for earliest historical FPS is currently 1999 for Codename: Eagle.

But Gamespot considered Wolfenstein 3D to be a historical FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom