Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

Right.

My brother bought a game off Steam today. It downloaded fine, but all that would happen when he clicked on the desktop icon for the game, it would take him to the game page on the website. Same thing when he clicked on 'Play Game'. What I want to know is:

a. Are we doing something wrong?
B. Will Civ V have the same issues?

That happens when the game crashes at start. I know it's weird that there is no notification about it.

My question is (it's a tricky one methinks):
Are there regional limitations on Steam? If I'd buy the game in the UK (before release), then move to Poland and try to get Civ5 to work on a release date will Steam let me? What if I'd to buy Digital Edition? Anyone knows?
No, there are no regional limitations on Steam (only regional pricing). There's build-in gifting on Steam, even, so once you buy a game you can run it around the world (whether it's in Poland or on a deserved island) as long as you've got an internet connection to activate it on the machine where you install.

No, there are no regional limitations on Steam (only regional pricing). There's build-in gifting on Steam, even, so once you buy a game you can run it around the world (whether it's in Poland or on a deserved island) as long as you've got an internet connection to activate it on the machine where you install.

Not quite true and we'd better get it straight before you get dogpiled. Some games are region locked. Some developing nations have special cheap versions of Valve's games which only work in that country. Typically these are countries with widescale piracy where they're trying to encourage the habit of paying for games. So, what happens is developed country tourists see the game for cheap when on holiday, take it back with them, find they can't install it, and then complain about it bitterly on internet forums even after having it pointed out to them theres an english language warning on the game box. #1st world problems.

True, but that's for Valve games offered at regional discounts, and we haven't seen any such pricing policies for Civ5 (except Australia paying a premium). The question was about a UK bought Civ5 game running in Poland. I should've formulated the answer more specifically towards Civ5 in the mentioned countries.

That said, the FAQ does ask:
Q. Is there a limit to the number of times/computers you can install Civilization V?
A. There is no limit to the number of times and different computers on which you can install Civilization V.

For me, no limit to the number of computers also includes the locations of those computers and I've not seen any statement or suggestion that there would be any regional limitation on running Civ5 other than it possibly not being sold in certain countries due to censorship.

Senethro is correct, region locking is available at the request of the developer. Most games are not region locked, at least not to prevent them from running. (some can't be purchased in certain areas) However many will regionalize their online service, so you'll only see people from north america, no matter where you connect from etc.

(Australia just boggles my mind, I'm not sure if it's greedy publishers, or greedy governments, but someone is causing games to be stupid expensive down there.)

Thank you people for your answers. It makes me hopeful - I'm a convert from a new-Civ-release-hater to a OmgSidisAwesomeIloveitToBits, so the cliffs of my built-in hatred against Steam are slowly crumbling away, washed out by the ocean of hype.

:mischief:

I'm a Curious George (Peter actually), and what if I'd go to US, buy game there, get it to play on 21st of September and a day later I would travel to Helsinki for instance wanting to play? Something tells me that Steam will say :nono: (which is stupid), but can anyone confirm/deny this?

Thank you people for your answers. It makes me hopeful - I'm a convert from a new-Civ-release-hater to a OmgSidisAwesomeIloveitToBits, so the cliffs of my built-in hatred against Steam are slowly crumbling away, washed out by the ocean of hype.

:mischief:

I'm a Curious George (Peter actually), and what if I'd go to US, buy game there, get it to play on 21st of September and a day later I would travel to Helsinki for instance wanting to play? Something tells me that Steam will say :nono: (which is stupid), but can anyone confirm/deny this?

You're certainly going to be ok as long as you have an internet connection to authenticate or re-authenticate on. If not then make sure Offline mode is working before you leave.

@2K Greg-

I already asked this question weeks ago on the first page of this thread but the question was either overlooked or ignored.

Q. Are there any regional restrictions, or can I purchase Civ5 from anywhere in the world and still be allowed to play online/get patches from Steam/add mods/etc. from anywhere in the world?

This question should be relevant not only to those of us who travel, but to the Civ players in places like Australia and New Zealand as well. Link Link

Above Mercade said "No, there are no regional limitations on Steam (only regional pricing)".

Then Senethro said "Not quite true... Some games are region locked" and Tarkhan said "Senethro is correct, region locking is available at the request of the developer".

Could we please finally get an official answer on this issue. Thanks.

Can I play the english version of civivilization V, if I buy the german amazon version?

I'm aware that if you add a game to steam and then download it from steam you get it in the language that you have set in the steam options. Well, to be precise, I only know for sure it's that way for HalfLife2, so it could be different for Civilization V.

So, does the german boxed version have the english language files, or can I just use the serial number and download the english version from steam, or do I have to buy a "real" english version?

Can I play the english version of civivilization V, if I buy the german amazon version?

I'm aware that if you add a game to steam and then download it from steam you get it in the language that you have set in the steam options. Well, to be precise, I only know for sure it's that way for HalfLife2, so it could be different for Civilization V.

So, does the german boxed version have the english language files, or can I just use the serial number and download the english version from steam, or do I have to buy a "real" english version?
Welcome to CivFantics, Antilegend.

This question has been raised several times, but unfortunately there's no definitive answer. It is very likely that you'll be able play the game in English even if you buy it in Germany, but it's not a 100% given. Whether the DVD contains files for both German and English is not known. There are several options for buying the game from international sources in Germany.

Yes. You have to activate once.Yes, you have to validate once on each new computer you install it on. If you install it on a different computer after 17 years, then you have to validate again (once). If you kept your 17 year old computer in a box on your attic and all you do is plug the power into your computer again, you do not have to validate.

As a steam user of 10 years, I am pretty sure this is incorrect.

The process for getting a game set up on a brand new PC is.

1. Install Steam
2. Login to steam account
3. Download game through steam.
4. Play the game.

Once a game and its cd key is linked to a steam account, it is forever linked to that steam account. No linking is done based on that PC's hardware or crap like that. Its just the steam account that matters.

You should really stop spreading your uninformed info to the users of this site.

Please note: This is not a rant - I know that in an emotionally heated debate, some readers might perceive it as one, but this is not my intention. I'm trying politely (if a bit desperate) to get an answer to my question, and to describe a state of affairs that strikes me as particularly dissatisfying. The matter should become clearer in the post, unfortunately it has to become a rather large one for this, for which I apologize in advance. The essential question follows at the bottom of the post, in boldface.

On Aug 14th, I asked some questions. I got contradictory answers from two community members. The 2K community manager did not clarify (or reply in any other way). The last time that he showed up in this thread at all was more than three weeks ago, with this post.

Four days later, I replied to an already existing discussion with another post about a similar issue, and asked another question. This post was immediately removed from this FAQ due to the no discussion in this thread rule, and put into a second, non-stickied thread. In this second thread, discussion is actively discouraged by the first post of the community manager:

please refrain from trying to answer other people's questions or start discussions about things other people have posted.

The community manager himself hasn't shown up in this second thread since this post from more than six weeks ago.

Meanwhile, factually wrong information is piling up in the FAQ thread and does not get removed, I've also refrained from correcting it since I was afraid that this would count as "discussion" again.

I still have my question. I'm unsure whether it's okay to write this post here, but between a forum rule not to open new threads on Steam, a thread where "discussion" posts will be moved away from, and a thread where discussion is discouraged in the first post, I really don't know what to do. I'd like to state that this state of affairs is pretty dissatisfying.

Anyway, here's the question I'd still like to have answered by an official source:

As a collector who often plays games a long time (sometimes decades) after they have been released, and often a long time after their publishers and developers have ceased operating, it's important to me that I keep control over my purchase, i.e. I can't accept a situation where a game that I bought becomes inaccessible due to events not under my control. Such an event would be (for example) Steam ceasing operations (I know that they seem to go strong right now, but so have Atari, Microprose, or Lehman Brothers, so it's not out of the question, especially in a business as volatile as the video games market, where companies lasting more than 10 years are the exception.) In such an event, if Steam's validation servers are taken off-line, I won't be able to reinstall and play the game I purchased anymore.

This issue is known to Steam and 2K, and both parties have stated that they would "presumably" remove the game's DRM in such a case, so that their customers can still use it. However, this is a very vague statement, and it's not legally binding by any means. If push comes to shove, I'd have to depend on a then-bankrupt company that already has my money, to keep a vague promise and remedy the situation. It's of course possible that such a promise is kept - but it's also possible that a statement like this one gets issued: "We would have liked to remove the DRM of your games, but due to contractual obligations with our old and new business partners, we regret to inform you that we are not in a position to do so."

Therefore, I'm asking whether Steam and 2K acknowledge a legally binding obligation to remove the DRM from their customers' games, should the validation servers become unavailable.

I have checked the licenses of both Steam and 2K, and so far it doesn't seem so.

From the Steam License:

C. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).

From the Take2 EULA:

Any implied warranties prescribed by statute are expressly limited to the 90-day period described above.

Since this concerns me due to the reasons stated above, I repeat my question:

Is it true that, should Steam become unavailable, there is no legally binding clause in either (Steam / Take2) license that prevents them from simply abandoning their customers, and leave the customers with a DRM that doesn't let them activate their purchased games anymore?

OK, I need a few opinions here. Personally I have nothing against Steam and I don't mind buying the Deluxe Edition through Steam.

But what worries me is the ability to have the "old school" manual in book form. If I buy it from Steam, will I never get to read the manual? Also is buying the boxed version more convenient?

Need some opinion about this, guys!

Thanks!

:)

OK, I need a few opinions here. Personally I have nothing against Steam and I don't mind buying the Deluxe Edition through Steam.

But what worries me is the ability to have the "old school" manual in book form. If I buy it from Steam, will I never get to read the manual? Also is buying the boxed version more convenient?

Need some opinion about this, guys!

Thanks!

:)

I'll answer you here but we'll likely get moved into the other Steamchat thread so take a careful look around.

Most Steam games have a .pdf manual. You rightmouse on a game in the Steam library and one of the options will be the manual.

The boxed version might be more convenient if you've got a bandwidth cap as the download will be at least 7 gigs. You can install from the internet or from the disc. Or you can even buy a box, enter the serial number into Steam, feed your disc to your dog and then install from the internet.

regarding pricing in australia, civ 5 (as far as i have seen) is by no means extraordinary in its pricing. I think it simply comes down to the fact that people (myself included) are buying games at premium price, and so they'll keep setting it at premium price.

Will we be able to install on multiple computers via a single purchase? (obviously not intending to play it simultaneously, but for example, to be able to install it on a home computer and then on a travel laptop?)

Will we be able to install on multiple computers via a single purchase? (obviously not intending to play it simultaneously, but for example, to be able to install it on a home computer and then on a travel laptop?)
Yes, you can install a single purchase on multiple computers (e.g. desktop and travel computer).

It is technically possible to simultaneous play in off-line mode on multiple computers (although possibly this will be against the license agreement). It is also possible to plan on a LAN while in off-line mode (although the FAQ doesn't specify whether this requires multiple licenses). It is not possible to simultaneously play on-line from multiple computers with a single license.

I strongly believe this won't be a problem. My reasoning is because I am fairly sure that within Steam, the "product" for each region is completely separate. It's not a case of "Civ V" and then "USA"/"Euro". It seems to be "Civ V (USA)" and "Civ V (Euro)".

I originally was gifted a copy of the Civ IV complete pack on Steam by an American friend, because it was not available in my region. When they changed (around the time Civ V was announced) and made it available in my region...I now see *two* different versions of the same game pack listed...one of them I *have*, the other I *don't*.

Top Bottom