Final Frontier Impressions

I'd have to add to the excellent feedback:

Yes, this is one of the most imaginative Mods to Civ 4.
It's sort of what Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire should have been.
In many ways SMAC/X was just a cosmetic mod, you basically had units of similar strength abilities on a somewhat Sci-Fi back drop...oh, that and sea colonies and cities.

But with Final Frontier you colonize star systems in a SEA OF SPACE.
Brilliant!

Even the colony ship is the space ship that you build in the standard Civ 4 game...which is about right. Colonizing space will amount to colonizing other star systems...

It's lots of fun!
Thanks

Well, I haver to say I am hooked. I got the complete edition for Christmas and have played from vanilla to now FF. I love FF and it is right above SMAC/X in interest and entertainment. I like to be able to play a hybrid game rather than using spamming, pop booms and exploits to win the game.
Thanks JS and Firaxis (you too, Sid).

You can improve FF by applying the various fixes that have been pointed out in the FF specific sticky thread here, starting at the end of page 18 of that thread.

The single most important fix is almost certainly the one that corrects the problem that causes the AI civs to not assign population to any planet until their first border pop (and not assign some available population to planets in various other situations after the game is under way), which means that they waste 25 turns (unless they are Hallis, in which case they waste 50 turns) worth of food/production/commerce at the start of the game. (Ever wonder why you can find so many wrecks and get so much free stuff, even close to the AI civs? The AI civs go a long time with 0 production, so they get a big delay before they can build ships and start to explore.) This actually starves the New Earth's home system from the population 2 it starts with (due to it's trait) down to 1 (it would starve all of them to death, except you can't loose that last population point from starvation). The fix for this is in that stickied thread in post 391 (T-Hawk, Dec 03, 2009, 07:15 PM) - just unzip the posted file and put the resulting CvFinalFrontierEvents.py file into the FF mod's Assets/Python folder, replacing the file of the same name (or you can copy the entire mod folder and apply it to one of them if you want to keep the original intact, which might be a good plan).

If you apply all the fixes, or even just that one, it will play somewhat better - the AI civs will do somewhat better than they do without the fixes.

Top Bottom