CarmenNES04: Seeds of the Earth

@germanicus12- As the Map Maker, I think I'm in a position to answer that question. Rivers do have an effect, but this is on the level of a local subclimate, while the map shows large-scale trends. For example, a river going through a desert may have trees and plant life growing around its banks, or even several kilometers away from it, but this is not big enough to have a significant impact on the map, or to alter the dominant climate of the region. Thus, it can be assumed that land around major rivers is more productive and fertile.

Dzhibar/Lord_Iggy
Monarchy/Zhivandardurard Dynasty
Capital & Major Cities: Gabar
Economy: 1 (1+0)/0/0
Size: Tiny (1)
Stability: 50% (Neutral)
Infrastructure: 10% (Horrible)
Education: 0% (None)
Army: 1 Infantry Company (1 EP)
Navy: 1 Galley Squadron (1 EP)
Projects/Wonders: None

Location: On the Charada River (just upriver from the Viusenith)

Even in this early time of civilization, the dark-skinned Dzhibari people are ancient beyond reckoning. Before the other petty kingdoms of the world had even begun to settle, the lands of Dzhibar, along the lower Charada River, flourished with people, culture, and warfare. At the peak of these primordial times, the Firebird King of Durbar, Turbarghidar, conquered the Dzhibari city-states, forming an empire of unparalleled might and glory.

However, as times of colourful legend declined into times of dark history, so did the Dzhibari Empire of Durbar. Weak kings, corruption, and a long slow rot saw the peripheries of the empire fall away into chaos, until Durbar itself was sacked. The Viusenith tribes responsible for this eventually settled in the bountiful Delta of the Charada, while other peoples, such as those of Aralthon, rose to control in the lands which had once been the north of Dzhibar.

Today, the death of the old empire is complete. However, a spark of vitality lives on, in the city of Gabar. After weathering the collapse of their civilization and the falls of their brother-cities, the wily Eagle Lords of the Zhivandardurard Dynasty have begun to extend their influence beyond the walls of their city. The Second Empire of Dzhibar has been proclaimed, and the forces of Gabar press outwards, their destiny in wait.

C'mon Carmen, I wasn't that Pope Babying, Giberish crying non-sense spending me of, oh, before puberty?

I want to see the nations, carmen, and I checked that map, enlarged it, and didn;t see any.

Oh, that map. Apologies then. I shall make it available later, once I address the other people upon the map.

@Lord Iggy: I know you start on the river, but it may help to tell me the approximate location as I really have no idea where that is. :p

@NWAG3: As responding to your inquiry, I'll change it. You should've seen the National Descriptions part before I changed it though. ;)

NWAG3: As responding to your inquiry, I'll change it. You should've seen the National Descriptions part before I changed it though.

I did- why else would I have inquired?

OOC: Using [1], [2], etc for Ulsen's IC footnotes. Using *, ** etc for my OOC footnotes.

Writing a Work
Ulsen looked around. He did not want anyone seeing him doing the essay now. For one, he was supposed to be at school. For two, it was due yesterday. For three, not that many knew this but the chair he was sitting on was technically illegal.

"You idiot, close the windows!" he thought to himself. As he hastened to comply, he wondered to himself about how long this would take. A typical Ulsen essay had about five drafts each taking three hours. Of the planet's 30 (not 35, he had to remember), he now had five hours- tops. This was going to be hard...

The Rise and Fall of the Ebrite Empire- Introduction
Prior to Septim intervention, the civilisation of Kostoria* was developing into a primitive agricultural society. Kostria's environment was one of the most pristine in the system[1], and unrivalled in the period for it's capacity to accept foreign life[2]**. The question, therefore, is why intervention was necessary.

A typical example of a Kostorian civilisation was the Ebrite Empire, circa 942 JW***. It's achievements include agricultural reform, legal reform, and intellectual ideas that would take hundreds of years to be invented in mainstream Septim thought. In addition, all of these were achieved without that taint of empires, foriegn aggression.

But before looking at the Imperial Period itself, we should have some context about the Ebrites. Ebria, as it was called, was located in the Septim-named Fourth Quarter, a general Septim designation. But unlike typical stereotypes, they were indeed a distinct and vibrant subculture within the quarter, as shown in their primitive art[3], literature[4], and music[5].

The first true Ebrite civilisation began circa 2040 YN***, originally an offshoot of a synthesis of offshoots of the River Boat culture with previous tribal ideas. The previous government of "families" (actually tribes based on common ancestry) was replaced first by an absolute chief, then by a system of Farmers in Council. But by circa 1860 YN, a more moderated but still powerful hereditary chief had emerged as the norm[6].

Two critical points must be noted at this stage. First, the Ebrite civilisation was not the same as the Ebrite Empire of later years. The chiefdoms would commit many acts of war and aggresion against each other, but that was part of a later era. Second, the rise of hereditary chiefdoms was a vital part of the shift to agriculture- a more efficent system was vital to govern a system of centralised irrigation[7].

Technological advancements would mostly take place downriver and "trickle upwards", but the proto-Ebrites were not completely devoid of innovation- circa 1600 YN, bronze-melting techniques appear to have been invented in Ebria[8]. This temporary advantage allowed proto-Ebrite civilisations to conquer as far as Yamaros and Shaldara[9], although these civilisations would not later be acknowledged as Ebrite[10].

(Note to self: Need more on 14-1500 YN. Ask Shalom?)

The Ebrites "proper" would continue to develop peacefully for hundreds of years. 0 YN would come and go without a word. The land would, however, be disrupted from the outside. The "uncivilised" nomads of the North were just around the corner.

It is worth speaking briefly on these peoples because they played an integral part in the history of the Ebrite Empire. They were divided into five major conferacies[11]- the Walvian Claredites, the Moltravan Claredites, the Kangoran Claredites, the Urasulan Jezralites, and the Central Jezralites. Each tribe had it's own army of nobleman cavalry, and peasants from various settled villages to supress revolts[12]. Until the Black Death****...

Oh screw this Ulsen, skip to the good part!

[1] Usend, Evaron, Black Nights- A Legacy of the Septim, Kolshen mines, page 58
[2] Ibid
[3] Note to self: Find source later
[4] Ibid
[5] Usend, Evaron, op cit.
[6] As extrapolated from the remnants of Septim mission 198205420358245. (Ulde, Jalsog, Stolen Septim Mission Records, Garnath University Press, 405)
[7]
[8] Ibid source 6.
[9]
[10] Note to self: Find source later
[11] Endwaith Publishing, The Diary of Abrak Andalor, Endwaith Publishing, page 72
[12] Ibid
[13] Yalmoth, Fictionalitis, A History of the Ebrites, Charity Press, page 91
[14]
[15]

*: The planet which the game is set on.
**: Implicitly meaning life from other life-supporting planets.
***: Septim dating measure.
****: Not the same as our Black Death, but a plausible term to be used in an "ATL".

OOC: Finally finished.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

OOC: Doing a brief story to fix up the partial plot hole of King Chobres implementing his policy with regards to the death penalty for mixing up the League of Peoples and the League of People.

Kerahim and Kerahim
The word, or more presciely words designated in English as Kerahim can, depending on the variant translate to people, peoples, the people, you (plural) people, you person, or the (in a context where the topic is persons). Each have different pronounciations, but the different is subtle for the English language. It was this similarity which was the crux of the confusion- the Kerahim League and the Kerahim League, so to speak.

Despite this, Chobres knew his policy would be poorly recieved. The intellectuals resented his "imposing" on policy (theoretically his prerogative, but in practice an area in which the intellectuals desired free rein thanks to Theory Doctrine*) enough already, and it was possible even if they did not depose him that they would go so far as to tolerate a coalition of the palace guards, the army, and the city slaves against him**.

To counteract this, he timed his policy carefully. The plan was to announce it literally at midnight, in the hope that knowledge of the news would spread around the capital as rumor, not established fact. Similiar arrangements were undertaken in various centres of power throughout the empire, and notes given to various nobility (who he also expected would not be pleased).

In the end, however, he had little choice but to appeal to a combination of pragmatism and inertia. Using the army (promised a tripling of their wages and immunity from the relevant laws) against the people, he exploited his connections in the nobility to keep them out of the "fight"- the fact that it begun as rumor reduced the factor of outrage, making this easier.

The timing of the announcement also coincided roughly with the climax of the academic battle between Shymanor and Clomades***, each who thought the rumor was the other's ploy to trick them into alienating the King. Commiting his full bakcing to Shymanor, Chobres III bought him off (if outraging Clomade's supporters). A suprising number of intellectuals outright supported him anyway- they argued it was unnaceptable for the people to mistake the anti-nationalist League of People with the pro-nationalist League of Peoples (which disagreed on the issue of race and nation).

This left the palace guard and the city slaves, but both were traditional puppets of the intellectuals and nobility respectively. Many palace guardsmen and slaves joined the revolt against Chobres, but were defeated early in the Battle of the Capital.

*: A doctrine which advocates that in order to achieve any effective action (at least in matters of government), one must have a theory with which to proceed. This was in practice used to argue that one must only make policy to implement the ideas of an intellectual.
**: All groups which the intellectuals argued should stay out of government, and all of whom were political powers feared by the intellectuals.
***: Two prominent intellectuals.

Anyone throw together a map with all starting locations placed?

I trust Iggy to roleplay fairly.

How things are so far (i think)

Ack! Put me here then.

Background will be edited slightly.

Oh boo, thats me surrounded then. Guess it is war Moose!

Map problem:

How do you save a map at a certain zoom level? (200%)

Because whenever I save it and upload it, it reverts to 100% zoom level, and makes some nations impossible to see. In addition, I don't feel much like creating 50 million more colors that can be seen at 100%. :p

The Genesis of the Order of Vius:

In the beginning, there were two brothers, Vius and Imael, who came out of the nothingness. Seeing the infinite chaos wrought by the nothingness, they created a paradise for life that could achieve order. Order that could achieve Vius’s and Imael’s true dream, the betterment of life to a point in which happiness can be had without fear of consequences, the result of chaos, as they had achieve eons ago. That paradise, which creates order amongst all chaos, is earth.

It is said that in the first moment, that they created the Sun, the glowing yellow sphere in the sky. That they created the moon, the keeper of the night. That they created the five glowing points in the sky of particular brightness, the eyes of the original alran. That they created the abundant lights in the sky, their own eyes in the sky.

It is said in the second moment, that they created the land upon which we stand and live upon. That they created the sea, which shows us order by its consistent tide. That they created the plant life, the food of Vius, which has fed our hunger since the beginning, and now, and forever more.

It is said in the third moment, that they created life upon earth. However, life was special. For it required Vius and Imael to show their great determination and make many forms of life to find the perfect species. That species was us, with our intelligence, our ability to adapt to the chaos, and our ability to use tools and the resources around us for our own purpose.

Thus, earth was created, in three moments and for many more the gradual betterment if life was achieved. With Vius’s urging, we discovered fire, with Imael’s guidance; we learned to use the spear. For a time, it seemed that, ultimately, the betterment of life was to be completed under their guidance in the form of us.

However, the betterment of life had reached a point in which we developed the ability to have behavior. Behavior which allowed us to improve our capacity for happiness, through love. However, behavior created also allowed us to have the capacity for another action, an action which neither Vius nor Imael had foreseen, vice. Envy, Gluttony, Greed, Lust, Pride, Sloth, and Wrath released their horrors upon us with an unbridled fury and soon, we became nothing more than barbarians.

However, no action was made by Vius or Imael, as they began down the path of their schism. We had been the greatest of their creatures, how could we have devolved into rampaging barbarians? But this had not worried Vius or Imael; instead, they deliberated on how to resolve the problem that was us. Vius wanted to venture down to earth, to bring forth his virtues upon us, and to set us back on the way of their true dream. Those virtues were Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindness, and Humility. However, Imael alleged that should Vius venture to earth, that life could not truly achieve the betterment of life for it would have been affected by them and therefore imperfect and that barbarism must somehow lead to the eventual, perfect betterment of life. Imael then forbid Vius from journeying to earth. However, Vius did not listen, and departed for earth.

On earth, Vius searched for five humans of each trade of life, Defense, Knowledge, Land, Sea, and Wealth who had not yet fallen into barbarism. In the great delta of our river, the great Viuson River, he found his five, Vius’s Disciples, the alran. Neruan, Usym, Ycant, Caemot, Krona were their names, and he gathered them at the beginning of the delta, with the ocean at the backs and said,” Great men, I task upon you now, to spread my seven virtues, Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindness, and Humility from this ocean, across the world of barbarism to end of the next ocean, for it is better.” And so they went, spreading Vius’s virtues, and therefore, civilization.

But Imael did not simply stand by the wayside while Vius acted, far from it, for when the alran went into the world and spread the virtues, Imael went behind them and erased their work, determined to keep the betterment of life pure. However, when Imael created a great wave to wash away the civilized people of the delta and of the Viuson, Vius banished Imael to Hell, what he perceived to be the result of the barbarism that Imael wanted and Imael, surprised that his own brother would act against him, didn’t act, and soon was caged in hell.

Vius, now assured that the civilization of world was certain, left earth, and gradually the alran civilized the world, and returned home to the delta, and founded our great city, Vius, in honor of our great god, who created us, and gave us the virtues and civilization, and sent us on the mission to achieve the ultimate goal, through the betterment of life, and that is why, now, we toil in the fields, and fish in the sea, and barter our goods, and observe the world around us, and forge spears and swords to defend us against the barbarians that appear around the world.

But do not forget, Vius can only continue to banish Imael as long as we work towards the betterment of life, or Imael can return to earth, and unleash his fury upon the world to cleanse it into his view of perfect for the pure betterment of life, if we do not toil in the fields, and fish in the sea, and barter our goods, and observe the world around us, and forge spears and swords to defend us. Those barbarians are the example of those who have failed, and children, we are not barbarians? Right? For we are Viusenith, the land of Vius, who follow Vius’s guidance in the Order of Vius for the betterment of life.

I think I have fixed the map. Tell me what you think of it so far.

(Note: Quality may have been slightly messed up since I needed to double pixel count and such. Damned zoom levels won't upload correctly so I need to manually expand it.)

Update 0 should commence by tomorrow or on WedNESday, should this map be sufficient.

Well, I'd perfer the fat cross black and white capitals, but otherwise than that, its fine.:)

Well, I'd perfer the fat cross black and white capitals, but otherwise than that, its fine.:)

He did say that the flat black cross is hard to see against the black borders. I would have to agree as in my NESes people kept putting cities on little islands which was a pain to get to work :p. We do need a better way of making our cities perhaps a dark grey color so you can distinguish it from black borders?

Top Bottom