Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

I haven't played this game really since late 2010 despite still playing BTS on a weekly basis.

I really hope they fix it this time, but I'm going to hold my money back to see if it converts any other critics into lovers. I am still pretty angry at paying the money for original unusable game, then them trying to flog be DLC before they had even fixed the bugs which made it unusable.

Wicked news! I've been checking this forum for like months now waiting for new news on this sorta thing, I took last week off work and wasn't keeping up with the internet as i usually do and totally missed this announcement until this morning. Needless to say this has made my Tuesday morning!

Japanese borders, yes.
Never found a Japanese ship. :confused:

Well...I'm assuming it was a ship anyway, since I met Oda without ever finding his lands. I think it was during his turn though, so I never actually saw the unit...but what else could it have been?

Well...I'm assuming it was a ship anyway, since I met Oda without ever finding his lands. I think it was during his turn though, so I never actually saw the unit...but what else could it have been?

And we're off topic again, I'll answer this one, If you were a European nation, building a single unitt hat spawned nearby makes Oda greet you.

BACK to the TOPIC

I still want moar news? I wonder if Apostlic Palace is one of the new wonders, if it's in that means there's a very high chance they brought back Adv. UN options, which will make me buy it more.

RE: Religion
... a money hole (they don't pay taxes)
... ... Civ4: Shrines earned wealth for every city with religion
... large areas of tech tree blocked (the masses won't stand for it)
... ... Civ4: Mysticism/Religion branch diverted beakers from Upper Tree Science/Culture and Lower Tree Military
... increased warfare (religious wars/fervor)
... ... Civ4: Diplomacy hit for having differing religion started wars
... espionage/jugglery (REDACTED)
... ... Civ4: Missionary could spy, city with religion gave intel

Is it weird I'm confused by the above post?

I think Religion is a good feature, it's been part of our history for many aspects, and even though it was the result of many wars, it still had a big impact, yes, it might've slowed down our advancement but still, history is history.

... large areas of tech tree blocked (the masses won't stand for it)

Religion actually helped science for most of its history and in most places, and is directly responsible for several scientific advances. It's only relatively recently that religion has become sort of the antithesis to scientific progress in people's minds.

Two questions...will Atheism be a choice (one that gives its own benefits) and will the pack be released concurrently for Mac?

I prefer my Civ powered by Rationalism :)

Two questions...will Atheism be a choice (one that gives its own benefits) and will the pack be released concurrently for Mac?

I prefer my Civ powered by Rationalism :)

I believe that no, Atheism won't be a 'religion' or a choice with benefits, atleast I don't think, I know you can choose NOT to have a religion.

Religion actually helped science for most of its history and in most places, and is directly responsible for several scientific advances. It's only relatively recently that religion has become sort of the antithesis to scientific progress in people's minds.

This would start a epic flame war on most foruns, but here I think plp will respect your opinion.

I will only say that I disagree.

will the pack be released concurrently for Mac?

Concurrently? Unlikely. Official word from Aspyr is "around the same time" and "shortly afterwards". There's a discussion about this in a thread here and in a thread in the Mac forum.

Galileo would like a word with you.

That's actually my biggest point for Religion.

Before this gets out of the control, I need to come up with something about the expansion pack.

Anybody know when the 10 questions are gonna be sent in/answered? I know this is a diffrent topic but I don't wanna get this topic of out control, I'm just exicted about the EP :D

He was still an avid Christian ever after imprisonment.

I dont want to get to wrapped up into this, but the Jesuits (The Great St. Thomas Aquinas ring a bell), Monasteries (Acting as early Universities), church funding of research projects, theorized advances in Mayan Civilization after the Toltec religion spread, etc.

He was still an avid Christian ever after imprisonment.

I dont want to get to wrapped up into this, but the Jesuits (The Great St. Thomas Aquinas ring a bell), Monasteries (Acting as early Universities), church funding of research projects, theorized advances in Mayan Civilization after the Toltec religion spread, etc.
:lol: you gotta love when people say "I don't want to talk about this but"... And then start talking about it... Anyways...

This would start a epic flame war on most foruns, but here I think plp will respect your opinion.
This

And on topic... I am really excited to see religion back in the game. I think integrating it with the Civ 5 social policy system, rather than picking a particular religion, could be a lot more interesting and most importantly, more fun.:)

Just imagining being able to custom build the tenets of your religion or Theocracy, brick by brick, bonus by bonus... A custom made religion!

Man we need a Pitboss system too :(

I will only say that I disagree.

This is the only post I'm going to make on this, to not have this go totally out of hand.

I'm sorry the history of Religion and Science doesn't start only ~500 years ago with Galileo, and actually the theories of Darwin did more for the divide between Religion and Science than did Galileo's. I specifically said relatively recently, i.e. the view of Religion and Science as opposites is distinctly a development of the early modern to modern era (In fact, there was often no distinction between the two until the end of the early modern period). Again, considering the entire history of civilization, Religion has done more to help the advancement of Science than hurt it.

Ancient to Medieval to Renaissance Astrology, EVERYWHERE.
The influence that Daoism had on the development of Medicine in the East.
Indo-European sacrificial ideology leading to Greek philosophy.
The preservation of Greek philosophy in the Arabic world, and it's spread into Europe by Islam and Sephardic Jews. (The Arab world was a huge center for learning).
Medieval monasteries.
The philosophy of Aquinas, Augustine, Maimonides, Al-Kindi, etc. etc.
Church funded research projects
The rise of Hermetisicm and Kabbalah and its influence on EVERYTHING in the Renaissance.
Speaking of which the role Kabblah had on mathematics.
Oh and the role Kabbalah and Ceremonial Magic had on the emergence of modern psychology.
Paracelsian Alchemy and its impact on modern medicine.
Newton's Alchemy directly leading to his theories on gravity.
Robert Fludd.
Mesmer.
etc.
etc.

You can really just go on and one.

By the way, Religion doesn't mean the Church, and the trial of Galielo was more political than it was religious. The Church was even using heliocentric models at the time for astrological calculations and admitted its superiority for calculations. Their stance was primarily an ideological argument not a scientific one. Speaking of which, a non-heliocentric model derives from Aristotelian Philosophy, not the Bible, (and it was the conflict between Aristotelian Philosophy and the reintroduction of Neoplatonism in the Renaissance that directly lead to the Scientific Revolution).

Top Bottom