SCENARIO: American Civil War Full-Release Version

Did you enjoy playing this scenario?

• Yes, this is one of the best ever, please send it to Firaxis.

Votes: 62 39.5%
  • Yes, this scenario is well-made.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Yes, but improvements could be made.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I cannot vote at this time.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • No, I didn't really like it.

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
More work for me! Hooray! I'll be waiting.

Version 2.12PRE is now uploaded, with the load flag removed from immobile units (which should GREATLY speed up gameplay), as well as a few other little changes, mainly to union cavalry units.

Note to all users of this scenario: If you wish to be included on a list of users who will be PMed when a new version of this scenario is uploaded, please PM me and let me know. :) A new version can be uploaded at almost any time, as bugs are fixed and such. This scenario is always undergoing constant improvement. :)

2.12PRE bug.

.bic-file will load without home-guard units.

(If you convert .bic to .bix there seems to be no problems
with the home-guard units.)

Mobilize: Thanks. :) The average load time is about 2 to 5 minutes for most users. On my Pentium III 750 MHz/256 MB RAM system, its about 3 minutes on average.

There are some scenarios on this forum where the load time is 2+ hours. :)

If your load time is higher than 10 minutes though, please tell me, and I'll see if there is something which is causing the problem. I ideally want it under 10 minutes for everyone.

Rocoteh: I've found nothing in the .bic that would cause such an error, I'll test it myself.

Edit: I'll look into the Home Guard problem tomorrow more thoroughly...I have to go to work soon. Scanning the .bic file, I didn't see anything which would cause them not to load.

Rocoteh, the bug is now listed on the bug report on page 1. :)

This was really strange!
I flagged "load"for home-guard again and now
the units appear as they should.

...but even more strange: I unflagged "load"
and the units still appear!!!

If someone encounters "the home-guard-bug" please
report it.

Edit: No its not unlogic: .bic-file saved with
PTW-editor will be a .bix-file even if it shows
up as .bic.

OK, the problem is that .bic-file will load
without home-guard units.

DivineImpact,

Will flag "load" make the home-guard reappear?

(and were you playing 2.12PRE? I never loaded .bic
with 2.11PRE.)

Originally posted by Noldodan
Yes, they do. The only problem is that it takes SO LONG! But that's okay, it makes it realistic.

Yes, the scenario takes long time to complete.
I think the coming "sudden death option" with
6-8 objective cities for each side will be played
by 90% 2-3 months from now.

Rocoteh

Yeah, in the 2.12PRE the home guards were gone. I didn't try putting the load tag back since I was pretty into the game and just wanted to keep on going. I'm not at the same computer right now though.

Another question of concern: Why does it cost so much to make workers?

Thank you for the information, DivineImpact.

Concerning workers:

Considering time scale 1 turn=1 week and that the
Civil War ended after 4 years I think its a right design
decision that one can not alter the infrastructure to much.

...but I think you are addressing an important question.
Maybe workers should be cheaper to make.

Rocoteh

I must have missed the part about 1 turn = 1 week. That makes sense. So, workers should take a while to build. But I don't think that they should take that long. Perhaps, cut the shield cost in half.

One more question of interest. The confederacy razed a city on the Mississippi river. and so my ships could not move past it. Is there a way to turn off razing?

Originally posted by Rocoteh

Yes, the scenario takes long time to complete.
I think the coming "sudden death option" with
6-8 objective cities for each side will be played
by 90% 2-3 months from now.

Rocoteh

I don't know when I'm going to honestly have time to work on this...I will try to get something like this up tomorrow (the ONLY day I possibly have to work on the scenario till at least Monday, my work schedules are multiplying in hours it seems).

The "short game" option will be PTW only though, so the Civ3 players...well...they can think of themselves as having won if the objective cities are taken.

Regarding the time it takes for the scenario...should I increase roads to 1/4 movement instead of 1/3 movement? This would have some affect on speeding things up some. I'm also hoping that the cost reductions done in Version 2.00PRE have helped in this regard as well.

Question to all: Are the A/D values for the Infantry ok? From my reading, on normal ground the attacker should have 3:2 odds to insure a victory, when attacking moderate entrenchments it should be 2:1, and when attacking large fortifications it can be as high as 3:1. Does the scenario reflect this? Part of this already is reflected in the A/D values, as most of the infantry units have higher Defense than Attack.

Originally posted by DivineImpact
Yeah, in the 2.12PRE the home guards were gone. I didn't try putting the load tag back since I was pretty into the game and just wanted to keep on going. I'm not at the same computer right now though.

Another question of concern: Why does it cost so much to make workers?

I'll look into the 2.12PRE home guard bug tomorrow...I don't understand why it would be occurring. I didn't change anything but the load flag on them, and I changed their stats/cost. That was it.

Why Engineers/Slaves cost "so much". Engineers in the American Civil War were 1) hard to come by, and 2) it took awhile to get anything significant done.

The idea behind this is, I don't want the entire map covered in irrigation, "railroads" and mines within like 50 turns. These troops are valuable, and should be treated as such. To give you an idea of perspective on this, it took the Confederacy 2 YEARS to build the railroad from Danville to Greensboro. That's a distance of maybe 120 miles (200 kilometers), or in the scenario, its about 4 tiles.

The Union should have about 6 Engineers to start with, and the Confederacy should have I think 3 or 4, plus about the same number of "slaves". Slaves cost less but have no defense. Engineers have only 3 defense, but they at least have a prayer of defending themselves against say cavalry raids (attack of 5 or 6).

Originally posted by DivineImpact
I must have missed the part about 1 turn = 1 week. That makes sense. So, workers should take a while to build. But I don't think that they should take that long. Perhaps, cut the shield cost in half.

One more question of interest. The confederacy razed a city on the Mississippi river. and so my ships could not move past it. Is there a way to turn off razing?

I'll lower the aggression level of both sides to the lowest possible spot, to reduce razing. If I make the rivers bypass cities, the map would look horrible and unrealistic. :(

Originally posted by Rocoteh
2.12PRE: Union units starts inside CSA-territory near
Charleston and Grafton!?

This is more realistic of where Union forces were in June of 1861. I couldn't fit Philippi on the map, so I have the Confederates still holding Grafton, and the Union poised to try to take it. Wheeling was converted over to the Union, because it was Union held by June of 1861 by loyal West Virginians. Charleston was taken by the Union in July of 1861, by Brigadier General Cox, and he came down the Kanawha (however its spelled) River to do so (from Gallipolis, Ohio, but that city is too small and insignificant to put on the map, so I put them on the other side of the Ohio River to make it simpler).

Top Bottom