[BNW] Allies with City State, Not Granting Resource

metellus

Chieftain
Hey guys and gals,

I'll do my usual apology that I'm sorry if this has been covered before - I couldn't find it when I searched.

In one of my BNW games there's a city state with coal, I have Industrialism, I've been allies with the city state for a couple turns, and the coal tile has a mine on it, but they're not giving it to me. I'm not using any coal because I haven't had any yet this game. Is it maybe because they're not there technologically yet? If so, how can you tell where they are? I'm debating on waiting to see if/when they grant it to me or if I should build another city just for coal. What do you think?

Thanks!

- M

The CS hasn't researched Industrialization yet. All you can do is wait.

If the coal tile didn't already have a mine on it, you could gift 200 gold to improve the tile and get the coal, but not if the tile is already mined.

Thanks for the reply! I'm curious, does anyone have a sneaky way to tell when a city state should be reaching the point that they can get coal?

I would assume the tech era of CSs is relative to the percentage of majors in a given era.

So, using the Industrial era as an example, once X% of majors hit the Industrial era, the CSs are automatically catapulted into the Industrial era as well.

That number could be 50%, 80%, 100%....I have no clue.

Pretty sure their tech is what 50% of majors have.

It's somewhat less actually. (30%). But the exact number of civs in effect bumps in higher than that on standard map size

(e.g. With the default 8 civs on standard map size, the threshold is 3 since 2 is below threshold. If a civ gets completely wiped out so there's now 7, the threshold is still 3 since 2 of 7 is still below threshold.)

Since I'm ahead in tech, I should probably build that new city to get the coal and get my factories up early. Ok thanks!

That depends upon
1. if you want to build any more national wonders for the rest of the game or not.
(If you are, a self founded city that late is going to cause you need to massive amount of gold to cash rush the missing copy of the building in that city)

2. Are you interested in fastest turn to victory.
(If you are, and you've gone Tradition, then the new city is likely to slow down victory by 1 to 5 turns by having slowed down remaining social policies in combo with the tech cost increase.) For fastest victory find a major AI that has settled a city near coal and take that city. By even just waiting for city states to acquire coal will work if you are planning Freedom instead of Order.

Since I'm ahead in tech, I should probably build that new city to get the coal and get my factories up early. Ok thanks!

Top Bottom