Can I set to which hex my city should expand next?

feldmarshall

Dictator
I'm playing Netherlands. The natural border growth algorithm seems to avoid marsh hexes. This makes sense normally, but since I'm Netherlands, I want those marshes to build polders. Is there a way to tell the game to grab those hexes, other than using "Buy a tile" (which costs gold)?

No. For certain tiles you can influence it; remove a marsh/jungle/forest and it'll be more likely to expand there. Unfortunately if you actually want to use the marshes you have to manually purchase them.

I'm playing Netherlands. The natural border growth algorithm seems to avoid marsh hexes. This makes sense normally, but since I'm Netherlands, I want those marshes to build polders. Is there a way to tell the game to grab those hexes, other than using "Buy a tile" (which costs gold)?

I've come to appreciate that the way cities expand is pretty much baked into the game. Because cities always use the same formula, regardless of what you need, (Luxuries > Strategic resources > Fertile hexes > Productive hexes > Everything else) you can immediately see if you need to buy some tiles when you first found a city. For example, I often buy a hill or two as soon as I settle a city; if I wait for the natural city expansion to select them the city will be starved for hammers for a looooong time.

Top Bottom