Quick Questions and Answers

So does this always help you in Winning games. Can you please tell me the order too for all the policies.

Cultural: tradition-->aesthetic-->freedom.......
Science: tradition-->patronage till the +25% science from city states-->rationalism-->freedom/order
Diplo:tradition/liberty-->patronage-->commerce opener-->depends about ideology
Domination:liberty/honor-->commerce-->autocracy

note that for cultural there are different strategies based either on conquest or sacred sites(liberty/piety) so that's the "normal" one and there are different strategies for each victory type but i think these are the more "classical"

For BNW, that path is significantly slower than the fastest win path for Culture. In large part because it implies the culture progress is too slow and not having Oracle & hosted Worlds Fair.

Optium for standard culture tends to be:
1. Full Tradition.
2. Start Aesthetics.
3. Interrupt it for Rationalism
4. Finish Aesthetics
5. Freedom or Order. (Normally Freedom as nothing succeeds in convincing the AI NOT to pick Order like the human having done so first)
This because Rationalism reaches the tourism techs faster.

There are several filler techs for Science while waiting for Rationalism but the Rationalism opener is much higher priority than a 3rd Patronage policy in addition, unless playing Poland, faster victory times for this is often by reducing the number of forced filler polices so that the Rationalism policies will be cheaper.

Optimum Diplomacy social path is actually almost identical to Science as optimum play pre ideology. This is because the faster you reach Globalism the faster you win. Consulates does make a fine filler while waiting to be allowed into Rationalism for this path though.

Optimum Domination social path is also identical to science because the faster you reach the key military techs, the faster you win. Right side of Commerce is ok as filler if you are forced into it, but going this path, the units ought to have been high enough priority to prevent you from having been forced into taking filler policies at all.

Cultural should be full Tradition into aesthetic opener into rationalism until ideology, at which point you pick 3 from freedom. That's assuming you're going for Internet based strategy without conquest.

Science: I personally do not like the patronage for science unless going for OCC or only 3 cities or less. I rather get commerce for mercantalism in that case which synergize with freedom based SV.

Diplo. You don't need full patronage for diplo, only opener is needed, although the increased influence from gold is good pick, the other are garbage. Order is usually the good ideology for diplo, in part because AI likes to pick it, and also it gives short term science boost quickly. Freedom is also doable for the trade routes, but it takes long time to get set up. Autocracy is not recommended unless playing low difficulty.

Domination: full liberty into honor is also possible, but more typical commerce for 2nd tree.

Consulates is one of my preferred filler while waiting to be allowed into Rationalism (non-culture), it makes free friendship for a long time with a lot of city states easy for the food bonus to the capital + culture bonus at the time I want it (when the next policy will definitely be AFTER being allowed into Rationalism) Even the military friendship isn't bad as it saves a few hammers.

The main problem with picking Order "because the AI always picks it" is that it's the one thing that reduces the chance of the AI actually picking it. I find when I go Order that half the AIs go Autocracy and the other half Freedom and only one of them picks Order.

I know this was answered somewhere around i just cant find it now... So i liberated Indonesia`s capitol and naturally my units were placed on the outside of his borders, however on the very next turn Indonesia popped up saying "why is your army at my border? Do you want war?" i mean WHAT?! i was going to just keep him alive so i can use his vote on the congress but after that msg i got really pissed at them and just took the city for myself. Shouldnt they be more grateful for liberating (they had no other cities) or that matter on their warmongering favor?

I know this was answered somewhere around i just cant find it now... So i liberated Indonesia`s capitol and naturally my units were placed on the outside of his borders, however on the very next turn Indonesia popped up saying "why is your army at my border? Do you want war?" i mean WHAT?! i was going to just keep him alive so i can use his vote on the congress but after that msg i got really pissed at them and just took the city for myself. Shouldnt they be more grateful for liberating (they had no other cities) or that matter on their warmongering favor?

That's normal in Civ V. But you might have been able to avoid that popup if you had bought open borders with Indonesia for 1 or 2 GPT in the same turn you liberated them, which would have allowed having your units defending them to be inside their borders instead of at their border.

That's normal in Civ V. But you might have been able to avoid that popup if you had bought open borders with Indonesia for 1 or 2 GPT in the same turn you liberated them, which would have allowed having your units defending them to be inside their borders instead of at their border.

Ye, right... i never though of that, i guess i just though they will be so much happy with me restoring them to life that they would even help me in my war. Not that it mattered, but it was kinda waste of time i guess, since more or less at that point i decided to give up on diplomatic victory and go for domination since most of the civs are on my continent...except Venice and Babylon

It says that a city of mine has celebrated We love the king day because it has acquired Citrus.That particular city has no connection with another city of mine that does have Citrus.How did that city acquire Citrus without even having a road to connect it?There's no trade route either.

Shouldnt they be more grateful for liberating

No, as the AIs are like that. An AI that hates you that you recall to life can still pop up rude dialog boxes, but that is the worse they will do. You still had his votes. You severely overreacted to the dialog box, undoing the benefits you got from recalling him to life.

FWIW, in BNW nowadays, you automatically have OB with civs you liberate. This is a change from how recall-to-life used to work.

It says that a city of mine has celebrated We love the king day because it has acquired Citrus.That particular city has no connection with another city of mine that does have Citrus.How did that city acquire Citrus without even having a road to connect it?There's no trade route either.

There does not need to be a road connection for cities to benefit from the luxuries. They just need to be there. Either improve a luxury that is within your cultural borders, plant a city right on the luxury (and have the required tech to benefit from that luxury), or get it form a trade deal with the AI or from a city state (if you are allied with a city state you get the benefit from it's luxuries and strategic resources just as you have them yourself but you can't trade them). If you don't have any improved citrus it the territory maybe you got an alliance with a city state that has (sometimes you perform quests without even noticing).

There does not need to be a road connection for cities to benefit from the luxuries. They just need to be there. Either improve a luxury that is within your cultural borders, plant a city right on the luxury (and have the required tech to benefit from that luxury), or get it form a trade deal with the AI or from a city state (if you are allied with a city state you get the benefit from it's luxuries and strategic resources just as you have them yourself but you can't trade them). If you don't have any improved citrus it the territory maybe you got an alliance with a city state that has (sometimes you perform quests without even noticing).

Also, all you need for WLTKD is to have access to the luxury for 1 turn. After it triggers, feel free to sell the luxury with AI or trade it for something else. Selling your only copy of lux in the mid game is a great way to game this mechanic as also CS are likely to have a quest for it.

No, as the AIs are like that. An AI that hates you that you recall to life can still pop up rude dialog boxes, but that is the worse they will do. You still had his votes. You severely overreacted to the dialog box, undoing the benefits you got from recalling him to life.

FWIW, in BNW nowadays, you automatically have OB with civs you liberate. This is a change from how recall-to-life used to work.

I know that... jut sometimes AI pisses me off... especially cause i lack the option to actually react with words ingame. infact if there is a mod that would allow me to do more conversation options it would be awesome. It didnt matter at the end since i conquered the entire continent and am now ally of every CS on the map
BTW i was in denunciation with Indonesia when they got conquered if that played a role when i liberated them

If that city is coastal and you have harbor in it and you also have another coastal city with connection to capitol and harbor then it is connected

If that city is coastal and you have harbor in it and you also have another coastal city with connection to capitol and harbor then it is connected
Yes but you don't need any city connection for the luxury benefit. It just has to be improved and within your cultural borders. If you planted a city on a unique luxury on a remote island halfway around the world, it would be instantly connected to the empire, no need to build a harbor. If some of your cities demanded that luxury, the following turn they will enter in the WLTK state.

Do the roads built outside borders cost any money? I want to trade with a player but his empire is all the way on the other side on the huge map.

Secondly, is it possible to remove roads within borders, probably by having your own units 'raze improvements' like in previous Civ games?

Thanks a lot to everyone for helping me out for the victory types and policies. Thanks again.

Do the roads built outside borders cost any money? I want to trade with a player but his empire is all the way on the other side on the huge map.

They do, in this case the one who built them pays for them, but everyone can use them while they are in no man's land.

It's not really worth maintaining caravans over a really long distance of unsettled terrain, because you also need to protect them. Barbs can spawn at any time, and you lose your trade routes and get even more barbs in the area. If the other city is outside of caravan range even with caravansary it's probably best to go for a closer city.

Secondly, is it possible to remove roads within borders, probably by having your own units 'raze improvements' like in previous Civ games?

Yes, a worker will remove a road in one turn, when it's on a road tile, the worker has this option. Having military units razing roads is bad because you still pay maintenance for those road and you can't use it. Razing roads is only good to brake an opponent's city connection and make him lose a lot of money.

Thanks, but I wanted a thread for vanilla. Is there any????

There's a lot of other War Academy articles, those marked with the Vanilla tag are for Vanilla.

another quick question... i recently noticed every time i annex AI city (prince level) they are empty.... like missing basic buildings (monument, granary, watermill, shrine etc) The thing is those AI accumulate enough culture and faith to keep up with the rest and yet those buildings are always missing when i get the city. Are they selling all buildings just before they loose the city? And is that good economic strategy cause you`d think they are completely broke after 50+ turns of war with nukes flying both sides every 5 turns or so, and yet they still have enough money to offer for piece

There's a lot of other War Academy articles, those marked with the Vanilla tag are for Vanilla.
Thanks Now I've got some nice articles for an easy cultural victory. ”9Ñ1”9Ñ1”9Ñ1”9Ñ1”9Ñ1”9Ñ1

another quick question... i recently noticed every time i annex AI city (prince level) they are empty.... like missing basic buildings (monument, granary, watermill, shrine etc) The thing is those AI accumulate enough culture and faith to keep up with the rest and yet those buildings are always missing when i get the city. Are they selling all buildings just before they loose the city? And is that good economic strategy cause you`d think they are completely broke after 50+ turns of war with nukes flying both sides every 5 turns or so, and yet they still have enough money to offer for piece

You have only 66% chance of getting most buildings in a capture.
Some buildings have 0% chance: Defense buildings, monuments,...
And some have 100% chance: wonders, amphitheaters,...

And the AI is finally not vry good ;)

You have only 66% chance of getting most buildings in a capture.
Some buildings have 0% chance: Defense buildings, monuments,...
And some have 100% chance: wonders, amphitheaters,...

And the AI is finally not vry good ;)

wow never knew there is a chance of getting those buildings... i always though you only reduce population of the city when you attack and capture it and about buildings i just though on last turn AI move all great works out of it and sell buildings so i get crappy ghetto :eek:

Top Bottom