Legends of Citana: The First Era

Krang watched as his laborers slowly dug their way through the mountain. Kaverstall is yet still a small hamlet compared to the Svenhold, but it will be theirs to do as they like, as long as they continue to follow the First Tribune.

After all, Farrenstall isn't that bad of a dwarf, if only disgustingly progressive. He probably rejoices the fact that he can get him and his friends far and away, while still taxing him. Krang smiled, because he knows that no matter what happens to the Svenhold, Kaverstall would never fall to the corruption of the sun.

The darkness is for the dwarves. No matter what "Opportunities" or "Investments" that could be found in the light. Dwarves, as legends told, were created by taking Humans and smushing their potential to half the size, so that they can withstand the pressure of the mountains. Why waste their potential on land?

This can be seen by the Guardians of Sverstall. Armored so heavily that any Human would collapse, and trained to the tipping point, they will be the finest defenders of the Dwarves. Of course, they aren't that mobile on land... but as long as they stay within the tunnels and caverns of Svenhold, or even better Kaverstall, no one may pass.

He looked at the growing center of a city, a Vault similar to the central "Egg" of the Sven hold. Treasures of all Dwarfdom, he thought, will be saved here forever.

Let the world burn with divine fire, but Kaverstall will be immune from the light.

Forever.

@EQ: Just noticed something... the growth rate per year seems to have significantly decreased when we went from the 1 year/turn to 5 years/turn. My population increased 16,000 from turn 1 to turn 2 (1 year), and then it increased the same from turn 2 to turn 3 (5 years). Shouldn't the increase in population in that turn been the same as the increase in five years? Say, the increase in the first turn was of a 5.333%, so the increase for the five years should have been (1.05333^5-1)*100%=29.667%.

... AAHRHRHGHH!!!!
just spent an Idle hour typing up orders.. and I acedently close the tab.
orders will be.. in a bit.

edit. ahh, history... found it again, all intact. whew.

lurker's comment: That's why I use Word to write orders and stories. :D

@Milarqui: That's because technically I've adjusted it that all updates so far have been five years, never one.

@thomas.berubeg: No problem whatsoever.

Voice of the Silent

Baethor lives his life with suspicion now, one eye over his back. He knows that he does not live in a time of Mages, his talents are considered sinister and the only man whose trust he has earned, Thal Modan, was notoriously untrustworthy and might turn on his Court Mage at any moment.

He spent his days at the Academy, with the few prisoners who had been released.

The people of Sommerset call them, "The Silent."

Baethor's terror had only increased as the Silent were slowly released, in waves, from the prison. The leaders remained in the dungeon, Watched carefully, they pass notes from one to the other and at every opportunity these notes are apprehended, read, but the guards know that the only way to really keep these men under control is constantly shifting cell assignments, solitary confinement, and constantly changing execution schedules.

And these men once held the respect and fear of the people of Sommerset as yet more magical relics under their command, and in those days they need not cast spells for people to obey them.

But now that the Silent walk the streets of Alinor, the people forget the old image of the powerful mage, they see this crippled traitor, and they are trained in the exercise of real power.

By making their humiliation public, Thal Modan made himself a God in the eyes of Sommerset.

And now Baethor tries to rebuild the magical legacy from scratch. Now the Court Mage doubles as the Headmaster and both offices are less for it. So he has gathered the Silent together back at the Academy, he watches over them as they create instruction manuals for future apprentices.

One day the words of the summoners would be heard again.

Of course, Baethor was well aware that he wasn't the only person looking over these manuscripts. He had made it perfectly clear dozens of times, to every single Silent who chose to write instead of living their lives in public humiliation. Thal Modan knows everything, and he would not think twice if he had a good excuse to execute everyone at the Academy.

A courier is at the door, "Headmaster, the High Lord requests his Court Mage."

Baethor sighs, turning to Timmor, "Keep things under control."

For centuries the Summoners of Sommerset had been considered among the most powerful mages in the world, people came to the Academy to learn Summoning from the masters. And when it all came crashing down it turned out that almost every summoner in the land was involved in this conspiracy, tongue cut out, sent to the dungeon for rotating execution schedules with intermittent follow through, a world of madness, or at best to be a public testament to the power of the High Lord.

But Baethor had not taken to summoning. To be sure, he went to the Academy to learn such things, but when the spells were to be cast Baethor always stumbled through the demon tongues. His skill was with ice. In fact, the only work Baethor had ever been able to find consistently was the crafting of ice sculptures, forming them carefully one drop at a time, and all of the finest parties required one of Baethor's sculptures.

So, when he was named Court Mage by the new High Lord it was seen as a great injustice. A Summoner had sat as Court Mage and held the ear of the High Lord for generations. Maybe it was an attempt to put the High Lord in his place, their conspiracy, but it had backfired and now there are less than thirty competent casters of any sort in Alinor. Baethor's trainer, Timmor, was one of them. The man who had taught him how to work ice and fire had been also excluded from the plot. And Timmor wouldn't let these Silent deal the deathblow to the Academy by spreading subversive writings.

At the Marble Throne Thal Modan smiles to see his Court Mage, "Baethor, it seems that there is a problem to the East, some sort of trembling, with monuments rising from the earth."

"Yes, milord."

The High Lord hands Baethor a note, "This is a list of the Silent who have been released from the dungeon, take them with you and go find out what is happening there."

Baethor gulps, a suicide mission if he'd ever seen one.

The rot of expendability takes root in his chest and expands, a shiver through every organ, "Yes, milord."'

--

Bears and other wild animals had tried to confront the group on its way, which was quite stressful since Baethor had been the only man capable of defending them. Running back and forth into the fray as silent mages scrambled away.

But now they stood at the edge of the field.

They had seen the scouts on the way, it was clear what happened to them, only a few hats or hands still lifted hopelessly above the soil, but it was obvious that the ground beneath them was not reliable. So Baethor froze it solid as deep and wide as he could manage. It seemed to be holding up, but now they stood at the edge of the source and the only speaking mage was exhausted.

A Silent, a contemporary of his from the Academy named Nerav, hands him a sheet of paper.

Baethor, drained and panting looks it over, "This is a summoning spell."

Nerav nods.

Baethor takes a closer look, "This is a very complicated summoning spell, Nerav, you know I can't do this."

The Silent nods and hands him another note, "You are going to help me? What are you talking about? None of you have tongues."

Another note, "Have faith?! I'm exhausted, I've been making the ground safe to walk on for miles, I know that you don't respect my work but I'm a real mage and I've been doing real work. I don't have the patience to try some hugely complicated summoning spell right now."

A final note, just give us a chance.

Baethor sighs, at least he'll be able to take a nap after this whole failure is behind him. But the silent won't leave him alone until he's tried to cast this ridiculous spell that he won't be able to pronounce.

Baethor takes a look, carefully investigating every demonic syllable, "Fine."

The men without tongues smile wide.

They start to hum, a deep guttural noise. Not a spell, Baethor is confused by them, what a strange group, and now the Court Mage is the one who gets sent on their suicide missions with them.

But suddenly he feels a little stronger, a little more wind in his lungs, his nose clears his eyes widen. He hears the humming.

And he catches the slow and rhythmic beat of the noise, when he looks at the words on the paper they suddenly make more sense, they follow the pattern. These men know their spell so well that they can, with his somewhat limited assistance, cast it without tongues.

And Baethor begins to speak on their behalf.

The words of the first line glow and radiate, he speaks them with a sudden ease. The words flow smoothly and orderly through the unfamiliar territory of his mouth.

The ground begins to tremble the rocks rise up to greet one another, piling taller and taller. Legs begin to take shape, taller than the monoliths that rise from the ground.

And Baethor continues casting with a supernatural ease that he had never known before. The Silent hum and moan in time with his spell.

A torso, arms, a head.

And the massive golem, the spirit captured and bound to the stones to unite them in a single purpose turns to Baethor.

"There is a glory that seeks to rise from this ground. I bid you dig it up." Baethor speaks with the voice of many.

"Why!" roars the golem, "Your friends do not cast with you, and you cannot bind me to your will. I will only dig up terrors worse than myself and then you shall all perish at their hand."

His voice still strong, his lungs still full, every trace of exhaustion erased Baethor pulls from inside him an old, familiar spell, which he speaks in the many voices, more powerful than he had ever cast it before.

The wind whips in, freezing and deadly, a sharp and glistening glacier appears out of the blizzard, smashing into the golem.

The wind dies down, the Golem pries himself out from under the glacier.

"As you command," the stones say.

The humming slows and stops, Baethor smiles.

entertaining.... ty

Bloody beasts. Those cursed hell dogs... we will have to eliminate them one by one, tear them apart and cleanse them with fire... we shall do so for the people of our nation, who live in fear from the monstrosities that plague oru city... the bloody curse, that bloody curse has been wreaking havoc on us, but we can no longer suffer it. We have suffered long enough, and we shall see what those nomads have done, and what they will do once they meet our little friends...

For I have prepared now. I have organized the Brazen Beasts at my lord's command, and they stand ready to slay these monsters of the night easily... they seek blood and death for the fallen, blood and death to inflict upon these hounds of hell... they will get their time soon enough, but they will have one sweet surprise to enjoy first. For you see, we round up those bloody nomads, and any with their tainted blood, and we are taking them to the prisons, and we are going to extract as much information as we can from the bloody bastards. We must harden our hearts until they give us an answer, and once we have that answer, we shall be able to cleanse this hell plague that infests our city and it's people. We must fight.

Already, guards are afraid to do anything, afraid to go out at night and patrol.

They fear that they will become one of the bodies, one of the innumerable dead that are stacking up in the Halls of the Fallen across the city. I can no longer stand for it... these men are supposed to protect the realm, but I am bringing forth my own monstrosities from the deep. I plan to bring forth the Brazen Beasts of course.

These men and women fear nothing, they have been trained not to do so. They seek only bloodshed for their fallen family members and friends, who have been claimed by these beasts. Some of these people we have found when they were attacking the nomads that have been integrated into our city, and we have taken them away to be trained like they should. I can trust no other people at the moment.

Have the gods abandoned us? Surely they have not, but my fears grow stronger ever day as more bodies appear in the streets as pieces. A glorious dream of the future is being smashed apart before my eyes, and I will not stand to see it defiled for very much longer. We have tried to be peaceful. We have tried to be reasonable. That time is long past us now. We must stand fight, as the dark of night draws around us and infects us all...

I have asked people to come forward if they have the sickness, the disease. I tell them they will be safe... Of course they will not be safe, I don't intend to let them live. The interrogators are a little rough with the living, but that's to be expected. We don't know much about these creatures, so we have to unravel them, take them apart and peer at the insides of them to see what happens. We have managed to see what happens when these monstrosities transform, and it is not pretty. We had to put down some of the specimens for that, but we learned plenty.

Even now, I can hear the screams from the insides of the prisons as some of the captured people cry out in agony and desperation. They beg and plead for mercy, but there is none. We can not give them mercy or peace at the moment, only when they have the sweet kiss of death may they be at peace.

Until then, we take them apart.

And stitch the parts back together.

See how long they last before we do it again, and hopefully they will be alive while we do it once more, over and over again until we learn about what we are truly dealing with.

Gods forgive me, but this must be done.

greatly enjoying these stories... keep it up.

Also enjoying the stories mucho grande.

Consider this the 15 hour warning to get those orders in.

We are past the point of no revisions allowed for this update.

I will still accept new orders, but be warned, time is running out.

Can't wait :)

@Boundless: I have no orders from you. You may sent them and I deleted them when clearing things out. If that is the case, I encourage you to resend.

!

I will forward them to you now.

News from the Nations of Citana​

ADVENTURES OF FLYNAJOON. Ghoststone, Ghoststone. After a number of festive orgies and entertainments in Ghoststones, the Magian Ungul known as Flynajoon, has at last departed his home to see the world beyond. Initially accompanied by four of the most promising mages of the Red House, Flynajoon resented how they hampered his methods of exploration. Within a day of leaving Ghoststone, he turned one of them into a horse and three of them into highly attractive elven women. Two of the women returned to Ghoststone to relate this story, while resuming their duties as mages at the Red House. Seeking adventure, he travelled through a pass into the Harar Desert, conjuring what foods he needed as well as luxurious shelter wherever he stopped. In the deserts it is said that he used the sands to create whole towns, and destroy them just as quickly. Furthermore, using his enchantments, he'd lure caravans or tribes to his oasis, treating them to luxurious feasts, getting them drunk on conjured liquors, both of which were enchanted to overcome the consumers with lust. Then, as they simmered in the post-orgy haze, Flynajoon would promptly vanish along with all of their goods, leaving behind only a substantial amount of stale bread and water. It is said, that there is now an oasis in the Harar that if any drinks from it, they will become consumed with lust and other base urges. It is said that he travelled even further west after growing bored and now stalks the roadways of the Yevah kingdom, looking to cause ever more mischief. (-2 Nos Coffi for Ghoststone)

Angeld
Spoiler :

The dwarves of Angeld continued their expansionistic growth over these five years, with the establishment of Woodrock Hold to the south. This has proven to be a fairly painful process, as the dwarves are typically uprooted from their established lives elsewhere to settle at the new hold. Furthermore, the journey has taken place over a great distance, travelling through substantial hostile terrain. A number of dwarves failed to make the journey, and attempts to mark rudimentary paths after the initial settlement failed just as quickly. The good news is that the new hold has proven extremely lucrative, with mining in the mountains and logging in the nearby woods. The goods still make their haphazard approach to Deepdown Hold, enriching the treasuries of the Elders.

The Head Elder Seernon Deepdown also had a happy few years with the birth of three children, a bounty to his family. The first was a pair of boy twins, Kuhal Earthshaker and Fian Skybreaker, who are viewed as the apples of the Elder's eyes. A few years later, the family was further blessed with the birth of a daughter, Katlinel the Darkeyed. These three births further secured the lines of Seernon as head of the Elder Council, and the lineage of his family.

The construction of Woodrock Hold has led to further encounters with the people to the south, who call themselves "men." New trade has begun to a small degree locally, though nothing major as contact has been limited only between the furthest reaching scouts and patrols. The men claim to represent the people of Vyraname, and their settlement of Esterhold to the south. It appears that they are not native to our island, and come from over the seas to settle not that long ago.

Elder's Challenge: The encountering of the new race of "men" has thrown our perspective of the world into confusion. While we have had legends of other races in the past, we've never encountered any before, especially not a civilization of them. This has changed the nature of the way we view life, how do we respond?

Barakdwell
Spoiler :

The Ayar and men of Barakdwell had a few fairly quiet years, as they developed their society and economy around Greyview. The main feature of this period was increased trade with the Yevah Nomads to the north, and the trade has grown so lucrative that a town known as Yevatarrk has been established along the river to the north. This town has been populated by the humans of Greyview's surrounding villages. The new settlement has grown up as a center of trade with the nomads, acting as a resting place for the Ayar who come over the mountains to trade. The new settlement has proven effective at this task, bringing in new wealth for the coffers of the Ayar.

Barslov
Spoiler :

The key element of the nation of Barlsov over this period was what many claimed was called the War of the Wolfmen. Throughout the first year, more and more fell to the curse that was of the bite and scratch passed on by the wolfmen. The curse rampaged through society, and with each night, the streets became less and less safe for the people of Shadowhold. Fortunately, the attacks seem to have not spread too far out into the countryside, as most appear to prefer to reside where the food is. Some have managed to contain the curse, by locking up their loved ones nightly securely in their house. Unfortunately, the poor rarely possessed this option, and one by one, they were transformed or slain. As the crisis grew and grew, Emperor Vral ordered the establishment of the Order of the Brazen Beasts, warriors feared and respected. They are known for their discipline and skill in melee conflict, as well their well-forged weapons. The Brazen Beasts were ordered to cleanse the streets and buildings of the wolfmen. They tracked them through the night, and with each passing month, they managed to catch and slay more and more of them. They found that taking them during day was more effective, and resistance was typically minimal at best. The Brazen Beasts have proven highly effective at their task, and by the end of these five years, the streets are once more safe to walk at night. Rumors persist though that the wealthy continue to shelter their infected relatives each night, and muted howling still strikes a chill in the hearts of all men of Barslov. (-50 City Guard, -39,000 Population in Shadowhold)

Efforts to track down the source of the curse have proven fairly futile, as former nomads were rounded up and even tortured to reveal the source of the curse. Not much has been discovered except that the wise men of the nomads, slain during the reclamation, curried favor with some being of indescribable power, stating that "none of the powers of Nessan can reverse this curse." The curse seems to be untouchable by the few in Barslov society who know anything about magic, and it seems that the only defense is to slay the infected. This has led to a flight of people from Shadowhold, as others seek shelter in Satara, hoping to put distance between them and those still infected in the capital and neighboring highlands. (25,000 Population move from Shadowhold to Satara)

Dragon's Arie
Spoiler :

The dragons and men of Dragon's Arie had a fairly eventful few years, as they focus on building a new army and organizing their society. They have begun by establishing a new element of the military, using magic and know-how to create a platform for mounting on the back of dragons. Thanks to magic, they have created a platform which generates a center of gravity for all riders. They can carry over a dozen men, travelling across great distances at unheard of speeds for days at a time. The new platforms have proven a success in trials, as the dragons work with their humans minions to establish dominance in battle.

After scouts spotted two great cities across the mountains and deserts, dragons and their human traders and merchants landed at each place. The first of these was in the southwest, meeting a city of humans, who called themselves the Kingdom of Yevah. They call their city Zinar, and are clearly quite prosperous and fairly powerful. In the southeast, an expedition reached the towers of Ghoststone, which have proven to be elves, unlike the people the dragons have been enslaving in the past. After negotiations, small trades were created between the two groups, and the dragons have established at least some diplomatic relations with the Ghost Elves.

Great Lord's Challenge: Several dragons flying into the nearby mountains have simply disappeared for no apparent reason. No signs have been found of a struggle or any bodies whatsoever. The two mountains in our east continue to be a place where our dragons disappear. How do we respond?

Ghoststone
Spoiler :

The biggest development of this period in time was the rise of dissidence against the reigning emperor, protesting the Festival of Ghosts. They claimed that the lack of morals demonstrated by the Festival were a sign of the decline of the local culture. They protested to the emperor, who briefly agreed to listen to their claims, but there was plans made soon after. In response a order of militia, the Nos Coffi were established to help provide the muscle of combat to the mages of Ghoststone. The new order of warriors, in conjunction with the city guard purged the ranks of the dissidents, claiming that they were not true elves, and thus have placed them in a state of slavery. The new slaves and their property were immediately auctioned off to the public, and the result has been a crushing of this faction without a chance for them to even escape.

To the shock of the people of Ghoststone, contact with made with two new factions over these five years. The first was when dragons came out of the sky, disembarking men from cleverly constructed platforms. Limited trade was done between the two groups, mostly of trinkets and information. The dragons and their passengers apparently hail from the northern Harar, and have a society of both dragons and men. Another group encountered the elves of Ghoststone, this time from the sea. A galley of humans arrived at the mouth of the Silent River and soon initiated trade with the local farmers. They called themselves men of Yevah from the west, though the exact location has been left unknown. They were of course forbid entry to Ghoststone, but allowed to talk with the lesser farmers on the outskirts of the city.

Emperor's Challenge: Our culture received a bit of a shock with the arrival of intelligent representatives from civilizations other than our own. We had never guessed that other races would be intelligent enough to establish cities and civilization, and this has provided a bit of unpleasant thoughts and musing to our people. How do we respond?

Great Hive
Spoiler :

The Great Hive toiled over these five years as they struggle to build up the tunnels and structures of the Great Hive. The effort continues to turn the Ithor Island into a single massive structure of Ithor, allowing them to have a great community allowed to rest in peace from the rest of the world. The Ithor work ceaselessly at all hours on their project, hoping to complete it at some point in their lifetimes. Overall, it seems that the project has a long way to go, and no immediate end seems in sight for the completion of their task.

Helvan
Spoiler :

The Vanir of Helvan continue to toil and work hard to establish a foothold upon Barslov Island, settling in among the trees and highlands of the north. The dominating feature of these five years has been an increasing amount of attacks by wolfmen, and worst of all, it appears that any wound from these creatures is fatal. Upon nightfall the night after any vanir is scratched even in the slightest by one of these beasts, they turn inside out as if their bones were escaping. None survive the earliest stages of the process, which is believed to be linked to the latest discovery. It appears that during the day, the vicious beasts that plague us are nothing but lesser men, cursed by transformation at nightfall. The Vanir appear to be immune to the transformation, but as stated, are killed by it all the same. The city guard and new magic users of the Vanir sought out these monsters from woods in which they sprang, and they met with some success. Regardless, the attacks continue, though they have been pushed out more significantly to the further outskirts of our city. (-2,000 Population, -200 City Guards, -10 Novices)

Under guidance of Prince Ulfric, the jarls of Helvan have begun gathering in a new part of the palace, constructed over the course of three years. The Hall of Jarls, as it is called, has been built out of the finest materials available to Helvan, and the new structure allows for great meetings among all those with authority in Helvan. The Hall is splendid in its structure and has become a dominating building in Eljudnir, towering over even the palace itself. The jarls appreciate this gesture, giving them a place to voice whatever concerns they may have.

King's Challenge: The source of the cursed lesser men is a conundrum to our magic wielders, and provides unfortunate implications. There could be many hidden secrets and problems within the forest, and more beyond. Some jarls believe that outfitting an expedition to map out the woods and lands beyond would be a good move to make. How do we respond?

Magical Kingdom of Zeal
Spoiler :

The Magical Kingdom of Zeal became the victim of repeated dragon attacks over these five years as dragons roosted atop of Mount Zeal. The dragons have proven immune to the strongest direct magics of the elven geomancers, who strike with powerful spells of fire. They have raged across the elven capital, setting fires and taking elves in raids for their own hunger, and possibly amusement. Casualties mounted throughout the year, and the best response managed was to huddle in improvised shelter created by the efforts of the geomancers. Needless to say, the people have not been amused at this cowering as the attacks continue without relent. (-2,000 Population)

Quillaachu
Spoiler :

The Piscans of Quillaachu had an uneventful five years, simply resting in their waters and eking out a peaceful existence. Only a few attacks by sea life would disrupt the serene scene, and these would typically be corralled by the city guards with great ease.

Sommerset
Spoiler :

The elves of Sommerset encountered what could be a great new threat to their way of life over this time frame, as new ziggurats seemingly erupted from the earth to the east. For a time they were as silent as the grave, with no movements seen from afar, just viewing a single doorway at the top of each ziggurat. Curious elves who ventured into the doorways never returned, and it was believed that massive tunnels must exist within each. Eventually, the elves sent their various wielders of magic to explore and determine the threat the ruins may pose to Sommerset. In a flurry of fire, the ziggurats seemingly erupted immediately after the elven novices entered. The novices who survived retreated in haste, seemingly cut down by great magic. Hordes of what appeared to be giant ants have emerged from the ziggurats, shaping the surrounding fields and erecting strange structures. As what appears to be an army musters around the ziggurats, the elves of Sommerset grow increasingly nervous at what may come. (-10 Novices)

Sverstall
Spoiler :

The dwarves of Sverstall have established a new order of warriors, in order to enforce and establish the laws of the land. The Order of the Guardians has been created as an example of the quintessence of dwarven skills in the arts of warfare and armor. Equipped with the finest steel that dwarven smiths can offer, the Guardians are set to be one of the best melee forces on the battlefield. Though none have officially been recruited to be a guardian just yet, the hope is that the future will be paved using these fine workers of combat.

Two great undertaking were completed this year, helping to define the dwarven culture of Sverstall to a new degree. The first of these was the construction of the Hall of the Tribunes, a meeting place built within the great cavern of Sverstall itself. This Hall has been built to house the elected leaders of the dwarves, giving them a place to voice their concerns and argue for new laws. The second great work has been the completion of a mostly underground road between Svenhold and Kaverstall. This has done much to link up the two cities, encouraging safe trade between both communities, as well as providing sources of minerals in the construction. (+50 Minerals)

Vyraname
Spoiler :

The men of Vyraname have been creating a new era around the relations between Falreagen and Esterhold. As tales of the wealth and wonders of Esterhold reach the mainland, people have grown uneasy, wanting to seek out their fortune abroad. The city of Esterhold achieved near legendary status as a place to find such a fortune, with new minerals in the mountains and rich troves of trees in the great forest. The emperor allowed the free movement of his people, and has reaped the rewards, as new wealth and resources begin to flow in from Esterhold. Unfortunately, the most individualistic types are the one who have travelled to the island, and the city has become more unruly as a result.

Scouts and traders around Esterhold have reported making contact with the small people who have granted us gifts in the past. These people call themselves dwarves, and through hard dealings we have learned enough of their language to communicate. They apparently dominate the highlands of this island, and reports claim they have recently established a massive stronghold not far to the north of Esterhold called Woodrock Hold. The dwarves met seem amicable enough, but some people have grown concerned that they are in the way of eventual human settlement of the island.

Emperor's Challenge: The discovery of the dwarves has given some pause to our intellectuals, though some still don't even believe in their existence. The concept that another species could thrive as a civilization seems quite alien to our people. How do we respond to this emerging scholarly debate?

Yevah
Spoiler :

The people of Yevah continued their trend towards development and settlement of their surroundings this year, as the new settlement of Fadar was completed. The new settlement was established at the mouth of the Gen River, hoping to capitalize upon trade with Zinar and the Yevah Nomads to the southwest. A road was begun between Zinar and Fadar, but has so far been incomplete, as insufficient financing was available to push it the great distance south. Regardless, the Gen River continues to make up for the shortfall in communication, as the two settlements continue to prosper. The new settlement has also acted as a base for expeditions in surrounding areas, looking to explore the world of Citana and those who inhabit it.

The expeditions which left went in the three directions available to them: east, southwest, and south. The voyage to the south was the least eventful, as apparently the sailors became turned around and eventually were lucky just to make it home. They had no useful information to provide the king of Yevah. The expedition to the southwest was more successful, as they finally pinpointed the location of the main camp of the Yevah Nomads who departed so many years ago. A hearty trade was done, and in a heartwarming scene, some old friends even saw each other for the first time in twenty years. These nomads have told stories about winged men who lived in the mountains, but for now they seem nothing more than tales. The final expedition to the east had even more success. They came to the mouth of what the locals call the Silent River, and eventually encountered a great work of stone and wood, channeling the waters of the river. They encountered a people called the Ghost Elves, who were quite arrogant and did not allow entry into their towering great city.

Sometimes one must go to adventure, but one time, adventure came to Zinar. A group of dragons descended upon the city, and from them, to the amazement of the guard, disembarked a group of men. They claimed to represent a city known as Dragon's Arie across the Harar deserts. They offered limited trade and an exchange of limited information. This has given some pause to the people, as some of the men let slip that in their kingdom, humankind is mere slaves to the greater dragons.

Judah's Challenge: A number of our caravans between Zinar and the outlying settlements have been robbed in spectacular fashion by the elf known as Flynajoon and his mysterious elven lady companion. On occasion, whole caravans have even been robbed of the clothes they were wearing and have been less than eager to regale crowds with the aftermath. How do we respond to these robberies?

OOC

@Tycho: I do appreciate your new unit, but since you have provided no distribution of stats to go with it, I used 10 Expertise to create what I could based on your description provided.

For those wanting an idea of how a device should look/function in terms of this NES, check under Dragon's Arie's unit stats, and that should be able to show you how it works.

@Boundless: Technically you were not short, as you had enough incoming resources to make up the 50 resource difference. That is where the shortfall came from. Also the picture of your location didn't load up completely, so I guesstimated at where your new settlement should be.

CONTACT NOTE: Most of you I actually don't know very well as NESers. I am frequently available for contact on AIM if you have questions. My SN is EQandCivfanatic, just as it is here. I do enjoy conversing over AIM, and don't mind an IM if you're bored.

World Map

Spoiler :

enjoyed the update- ty eq.

for those of us without aim would you be willing to make arrangements to meet on #NES?

I would, but #NES is a hive of scum and villiany where I often forget to tread. I'd prefer a lengthy PM conversation to going back there, I'm so haunted from the past, where I actually had to interact with those people. Sometimes I even get flashbacks, people die. :p

Top Bottom