Civ Birthday Party Games

rasjr

Chieftain
My son wants a Civilization-themed party for his 6th birthday. Since no party supplies exist I found cups/plates/etc with knights on them, and got an army tank pinata and tank cake decorations (I plan to make him an Earth cake).

I always come up with activities and a scavenger hunt for my boys' birthdays, and am looking for Civ-related ideas.

Since most of the kids will have no idea what Civ is (and can't really fully understand without playing as much as my 6 year old haha) I'm thinking that if it's sort of like "Around the World" themed that will work. I am going to play musical chairs with each chair marked with the name of a Civilization (like they're going around the world while music is playing & then have to stop in a place). I also thought I could possibly have each kid "be" a different leader (mini costumes or props?) so there's a little educational value (associating leaders with certain countries/civilizations).

I also purchased several blow-up swords ("barbarian" and "samurai"), and enough gold coins to give several to each child (possibly in conjunction with the scavenger hunt).

Any other ideas?? Thanks.

That's cool! What about building a monument? A pyramid or something else even non-Civ players will recognize. Maybe a race between two teams of pyramid builders? Pile the blocks or whatever on one side of the yard and make them carry them over to the other side to build their pyramids so they get to run around a lot, too.

Awesome ideas :goodjob:.
Just to say...if you make photos...and you want to share them...we'd be happy about them :mischief:.

-----
Not that much related, there is a civilization board game, but i'm not sure if it's suitable for kids in this age, and i guess it would also need more time.

Don't really have any ideas :(.
Reenacts of historical events/battles might be a nice idea, but i guess the chance that such a happening will take place at that time in your area is pretty low :/.

I also thought I could possibly have each kid "be" a different leader (mini costumes or props?) so there's a little educational value (associating leaders with certain countries/civilizations).
Any kid you don't like should probably get to be Suleiman or Washington. He won't know why, but you will!

Your son is already a nerd, sir. Congrats.

Barbarian Sardines - One kid dressed up like a warrior seeks out the "barb camp" aka underneath the stairs or wherever the others are hiding. The barbarian kid "steals" workers and takes them back to his hiding spot.

Diplomacy Telephone - Your son or another kid asks for a present across several children. Barter and negotiate!

Build the Wonder First - Similar to a Nickelodeon game show. Two teams must build a replica of a Wonder using the supplies they have but only through certain actions, e.g. carrying an egg on a spoon in your mouth. The team that's closest within five minutes wins.

Cultural Expansion - A quiz game about history combined with an obstacle course. For every question a team gets right, they can attempt to go through part of the course. If they succeed, they "own" that section. The team that's won most of the backyard wins.

Siege - Throw toilet paper at the neighbor's yard with a custom catapult.

Your Son is a competent Civ player at 6, that's awesome!!!!

I was thinking I had to wait at least 10 years for my 9 month old to really understand Civ, this fills me with optimism however!!

How did the party go??

I loved the idea of your son's b'day theme. I've seen couples of themed parties and they are interesting. If you can make some dishes with names dishes which each civilization would have had. You can test kid's knowledge on each civilization by conducting a quiz. An arcade can be rented in for kids to have fun. We have one party rental service in our place, Superior Events Group (Toronto), and they are having some cool arcades and inflatable games that kids would love. Try to find something similar and you will get new ideas to add to your party.

Are you planning to put in a great deal of effort?

Bake your own bread but add a little food colouring into the loaves and then cut into hexagons (a template might help), arranging into a mini-map (green for grass land, yellow for plains, undyed for desert, blue for coast and put a couple of toys on each one for units.

Try and make foodstuffs from each of the resources - banana splits, spicy chicken wings, venison burgers, chocolate money (just tossing the ideas out there). Other foods, just give them names like Montezuma's chocolate cake, Kamehameha's Fruit Punch or Maria's Cream cake.

Games - surely there's a ball game to fit in with the Mayan (Civ IV admittedly) court? I like the "Wonder Rush" idea - bunch of lego and get them to make a pyramid or Leaning tower of Pisa. Or make a Stonehenge out of playdoh?

Instead of dressing up, how about face masks for the kids? That's simple enough - print off a face, glue to cardboard, get them to colour it in?

Top Bottom