Playing as only civilization?

tb9durkee

Chieftain
I've been Googling and searching, but can't find what I'm looking for...

I recall a simple XML change or something that allowed me to delete all the other AI civs in the advanced setup (specifically, delete #2 which doesn't have a delete by default)

I have one save game with this change, but want to make a new game - can anyone help?

Thanks!

Not to be rude or anything, to each its own... but, why would you want to play as the only civ in the world??? Civ's theme has been, and still is, the tension between competing groups of people racing for scarce resources, starting with land... eliminating competition would be, well, almost as boring as communism... almost. Care to share your view?

Try Really Advanced Setup mod, switch off victories that would go automatically when you're only civ (domination, cultural...not sure if there's any other that would do that), use "Settlers optional" and give the other civilizations just a worker as starting unit. They'll get eliminated by barbarians very quickly, and you'll have free board for you.

Not to be rude or anything, to each its own... but, why would you want to play as the only civ in the world??? Civ's theme has been, and still is, the tension between competing groups of people racing for scarce resources, starting with land... eliminating competition would be, well, almost as boring as communism... almost. Care to share your view?
I enjoy the sandbox mode of building my own Civ, micromanaging improvements, wonders, etc. - without having to worry about combat or diplomacy

I enjoy the sandbox mode of building my own Civ, micromanaging improvements, wonders, etc. - without having to worry about combat or diplomacy

Really? Wow, I guess it takes all sorts, but that would bore me to death.

Really? Wow, I guess it takes all sorts, but that would bore me to death.

I don't know, I mean a Huge Raging Barbarians map with just you vs. the world sounds pretty fun.

I don't know, I mean a Huge Raging Barbarians map with just you vs. the world sounds pretty fun.

Maybe mod the barbarians spawn rate + aggression higher (than the default R.B. setting), and give them faster tech rates/tech diffusion first... :)

Sounds like some sort of Mad Max post-apocalyptic nightmare. "Can you rebuild civilization to withstand the test of anarchy?"

You could always create a scenario, place yourself as the only playable civilization and just play from there.

Otherwise I would suggest changing the "defaul tnumber of players" for the map size you will be using to 1. Should work.

Oh, it is. Having just one civ in the world will allow a huge amount of room for barbs. With raging barbarians on, the barbs will be extra salty.

There's this mod that, if I understand it correctly, raises the 3 units per camp limit on barb spawns. Combine that with raging barbs for unending warfare of unimaginable proportions. If you're gonna do this, you might as well get the other mod that removes the experience cap from fighting barbarians. You might need it.

In response to OP's question, in my experience, you can only reduce the number of players to two at the least, you and one other. I've tried reducing it to one player, but the game insists that you need to have at least two teams.

Then just play on Settler. Other civs can't even declare war on settler. It more or less is sandbox mode.

If you want lots of room, play on a standard map, but delete all but one or two other civs.

No diplomacy, no real war or rivalry against a proper civilization that might actually kick your butt, no real decision making, no race to make the first invention or tech, no real challenge. Also highly unlikely in any scenario that your city would be the only Human city to have started up.

Yea, fun.

You can go Hotseat. Place 2 Human controlled Civs. When the turn for the second one comes delete both the worker and the warrior. The first one will win the game instantly, so they won't be able to achieve any kind of victory. But you just click ''just one more turn'' and the game will continue allowing you to happily build your Empire without worrying of any other civ.

I wouldn't enjoy a single player mode either, but I can see how some would. The goal, I guess, would be to maximise your score by the end of the game, and then replays would be to beat that score.

Top Bottom