The Forever Game (GMR)

Just been running a test game to see how long this game is going to take. Around 100 turns to get to Optics. I'd be suprised if this game gets through a turn a day with 12 players, so we are looking at something like a third of a year before anyone even ventures beyond there island! It's going to really suck for the guy who needs to wait for Astronomy before he can sail the seas.

I'm pretty sure that Archipelago starts everyone by the shore, unless someone wants to trek inland for a better spot. Still kinda surprised that nobody's picked Carthage or Polynesia, though.

I think the first guy to get a Galley out is going to be the runaway for the next few real-time years. Galleys can get the range promotion, and then it's just a matter of systematically taking down the biggest wonder-whores to absorb their bonuses and science. Once that's done you can just kick back and watch while your science and gold production climbs ever upward and you can take over the medieval world with your bombers and submarines in between watching the thirty-second Olympiad and doing other future stuff.

So when does the game start, Itrade? Also, are there any rules I should be made aware of for the game?

The plan was to start it as soon as 12 people joined, so we were just waiting. Now it has begun, though, and I am not in a very good place. I had to choose between an immediate river start or a mountain start two turns away. In the end I decided to go three turns away to get a mountain start on top of some elephants. This had better pay off once Astronomy rolls around.

There is a chance that this is a standard and not a marathon game. I can't remember whether I toggled the option or not. Do you guys want to restart if it isn't or shall we just keep going and take it as a blessing in disguise?

Well, i joined in as Skukkuk for the glory of Byzantinium ;)

This is my first GMR round and i allways liked to play a mod multiplayer.
Calling from Europe, GMT +1 currently.

Wish good luck and lot's of fun for all of us.
For diplomatic contacts just use PN at civ fanatics or GMR account.

:spear:

I don't know if I want to declare my wonder intentions so that I don't conflict with anyone else, or just keep it a secret and hope that I beat everyone else to it and cripple them by having them waste months on what was essentially a slight gold boost.

I think I'll let someone else take the lead on this one. Is anyone planning on building the Temple of Artemis?

Hard to say at the moment since I don't know my start yet. I think a lifetime of playing the AI on high difficulty has made me forget that wonder exists :lol:

We can also share information about what luxuries we have, which CSes we're neighbouring, which techs we're researching, and in what part of the map we're in (laterally, at least, based on proximity to tundra), so that we can plan our exploration to find partners who will help us get "We Love the King Day" bonuses, unresearched techs, and strategic CS bonuses.

Or we could just lie and have someone sail their one and only caravel right into a trap...

Okay, I'm one turn away from finally founding my first city. Also it turns out that this game is actually a standard, but now that we know who's actually playing and who's missing turns, we can start another one with marathon settings if anyone feels like it.

Well, i'm wondering if we should go a step further and choose a mod to play in G&K + all DLC in normal or epic timeframe. How about?

Suggested options for new game:
- standard map with continents plus
- poor goods to get us concentrated on economy
- 8 to 12 players fit perfectly to have contact within time
- epic pace
- G&K
- GOTY + Korea + WOTAW
- optional mod (Echos of Ages - Civilization plus)

Currently testing arround a bit with 'Echoes of Ages - Civilization Plus' on a continent plus map and it seems very stable up till in industrual age now.
Either interesting seems 'Comunity Call to Power' to me, but not tested yet. Personally i like all the religious mods plus additional leaders, but this get's the game sometimes out of balance even in singleplayer...

Plus:
It's fun and brings new policies and benefits.

Negativ:
Think we can't upgrade the mod or we loose stability of the game.

I'd be in for a Call to Power game ... not familiar with Echoes of Ages, but open to anything ... would also suggest the PerfectWorld3 mapscript, makes nicely realistic maps ...

I think it’s best to avoid playing mods since they are often a matter of personal taste and it’s best to leave it as vanilla so that everyone is on the same page. Also, as Regul says, stability is an issue and losing months of progress to an update will be a bit of a killer.

How many players are looking to restart? We have 8 players, 2 who need some DLC and 2 who seem to be out of touch? The availability of players is going to dictate the map size and game speed. Since this is supposed to be the “Forever Game” I’d suggest the attempt is made to bring the player base up to 12 again, but play the game on a Large map so that we have some border conflicts. I believe that there is a work around that allows adding of additional players to a hot-seat game but it requires some editing of the XML: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=431821

I’d also suggest setting it up on Epic Speed to keep the game moving, possibly even Standard though it’s moving away from the concept of “forever”. I think Marathon will just make people lose interest (start building wonder, turn skip for the next half a year – not really that fun).

I like the idea of scarce resources to enforce trading/warring.

My vote for map type would be small continents, low sea level, default all other settings. That should give all civs, sea and land based, the chance to shine while forming some interesting shaped continents that stand a good chance of being connected. An alternative would be Large Island, Low Sea level. While this would ensure that everyone could be reached before Caravels, it does put the favor back in the court of the sea based civs. Also, I dislike the Plus maps just because of the CS placement. I want to compete for tactically place CS, not just throw money into the sea for fabulous prizes.

We need to find out the time zones for the players so we can optimize the turn order as well.

My 2 pence

@Banman
Well CCTP seems fine to me either. I'll give it a testround for stability issues.
PerfectWorld3 is also one of my favorites...just didn't want to bring too much mods in at first call. I wrecked a private test run with a m8 due to incompatible map problems. So i guess, all players must have PerfectWorld3 installed. Besides i found InfoAddict to be a quite stable tool that isn't inflicting any code of game.

Should the vote here not come to a mod game, i would appreciate to start a seperate mod game for those who want to give it a try.

Steam-Nick: Skukkuk

sorry for intruding guys, i'm mostly interested in a mod-based GMR game at this point ... good luck with the forever game!!

Just read the thread...there is a link. Game is currently private to allow you a primary joining.

Additionally i made invitation links, for all open player slots.

Hi,

the testing rounds with modded game seem quite good, so i did a second setup with the 'Echos of Ages' MOD for Giant Multiplayer Robot.

If you like to participate the hotseat multiplayer (G&K, DLC, MOD), you could join here:

EPIC ECHOS

Have fun! :goodjob:

Gah! After finally founding Amsterdam on some elephants next to the coast and a mountain, I realize that on the other side of the mountain there was a tile adjacent to the coast with a river on it, so with three more turns of movement I could've gotten a water mill and hydroelectric dam along with my harbour, seaport, lighthouse, and observatory. Now I'll just have to do without river bonuses.

From now on I'm always sending my warriors on the same path as my settlers so I don't miss any good spots.

Top Bottom