Byblos has two cities

TheologiaCrucis

Warlord
I was playing an Earth game and I noticed that Byblos over in the South Pacific had two cities. I think that it captured it from Poland, who had been spamming cities in Australia all game. Is this a glitch, or is it a thing that happens from time to time?

It happens from time to time. I don't traverse far outside of the normal difficulties but people on immortal and deity say that the city states are much more aggressive then on lower difficulties. What's cool is when you can manipulate a city state into doing your dirty work.

Even on king they'll take a city. I was playing a game as America. I had been taking cities all over the globe. But I was balancing a diplomatic friendship with the other super power Morocco. I had the freedom trait that allowed positive influence for gifting army units. So one city state had no room within their border because their army was so big. When I reduced Denmark to one city. I bombarded there last city with my cannons and waited as my Ally city state marched in and took it. I didn't get the negative modifier for wiping them out. Unfortunately the city state raised the city. I wish he had kept it for the resources I would have access to but they tend to raise a city more often then they keep it.

It's a rare occurence, City States by nature are considered "Minor Civs", they have no leader but have a unique(ish) trait, but also flavors and personalities that can be defined, they have more limitations.

But if an opportunity rises, a City state can become powerful enough to conquer another city.

I've seen it happen before too, and I have seen it happen several times in other people's games.

NOt a glitch, but a fun surprise ;)

(especially if you are Venice or Austria)

Interesting. Can they declare war themselves, or do they have to be dragged into war by an ally Civ in order to cap a city?

Interesting. Can they declare war themselves, or do they have to be dragged into war by an ally Civ in order to cap a city?

They never declare war on their own. They either join with their Ally, or get war declared on them by an aggressive warmonger (Genghis Khan does this a lot). It's rare for them to take a city, and rarer for them to keep it.

In my experience, the cities that City-States most often take are other City-States. It happens when the warring Civs each have an Ally City-State next to each other, and those City-States are too far from the main action for either Civ to interfere. If one City-State has a real army or terrain advantage, it can capture the other and cannot burn it.

I've almost never seen a CS capture another CS, maybe only once if at all. Seeing CS capture cities of major civs is actually more common in my experience, even on Prince, and I've been able to get my CS allies to do it by bombarding the city without capturing it. Remember that every CS is a capital in its own right and so is pretty tough. Some tiny underdeveloped city of a major civ can quite easily be an easier target than a CS, especially if that civ is behind the average tech level that the city-states follow.

I've had warmongering CSs all over the map in one game, I even had one CS capture another CS for giggles :D

I see CS capturing CS pretty often, but then I usually play continents plus or pangaea plus. Both of those scripts will put many of the CS in clusters.

Hello, everyone. I am in shock when this happened.

When this happened, me (as Maria I) :lol: is currently at war with the bloody Elizabeth :mad:, because everyone did not want to make a trade agreement with her (aka denouncing her) and she :mad: suddenly DOW with me. So, i attacked Nottingham with Yerevan as my ally.. I did attack Nottingham until Nottingham left with tiny bit of HP. Next turn, well the shocking thing happened. :eek: :confused:

Did people run strats where they cripple unimportant cities and let allied CS take them, so you don't get the warmonger penalties? In the end, you only want to keep the good cities/capitals.

... and that is exactly the way to go. In a scenario where you are cultivating a valuable CS ally that happens to be close to a CS neighbor that they very likely will end hating, it is worth to be attentive to the possibility of a war between the two CS's (that never ends in some situations), in order to help your CS ally capture its neighbor and become a very powerful CS. This works marvels especially when your CS ally is also your buffer zone or your beachhead against a future target civ, or a contender for V.

yeah that happens, and is good for diplo purposes.

holy...I'm just ogling at the happiness. 180?!? even with feitorias I never got this much

Posted the picture in the "funny screenshots" thread but it seems very relevant here.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13596121&postcount=3147

In the bottom left, Malacca has a puppet, so they do not always raze what they capture, I believe it has to do with the City-State's happiness.

The other part being Ragusa puppeting Panama City (which Germany had previously conquered); very interesting to see a City-State puppet another City-State!

I love when I see CS do this. I really wish they could hold on to those cities more often rather than raze most of the time. It's fun stuff.

I love paying leaders to start with CSs and then gifting them a ton of units and watching them completely destroy. The only problem is that they usually aren't very aggressive even if someone declares war. They tend to hang back and protect the fort. It works best on aggressive leaders who are right against their borders.

Had this when going for a domination victory and couldn't find the final Civ's capital until looking closer at the CS to see a little one called Athens attached to Prague, my staunch ally...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had this when going for a domination victory and couldn't find the final Civ's capital until looking closer at the CS to see a little one called Athens attached to Prague, my staunch ally...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In any other situation, that would be crazy awesome. Especially since Alex getting owned (literally) by a city-state is the highest of ironies. When going for domination, that just sucks. What did you do then? :crazyeye:

Top Bottom