Byblos has two cities

I remember when I ignored a City State, knowing it would only harass my nearby city pointlessly. That was the last time I did that!:eek:

Did people run strats where they cripple unimportant cities and let allied CS take them, so you don't get the warmonger penalties? In the end, you only want to keep the good cities/capitals.

I did this once. I've only ever actually seen a city state take a city once.
I was at war with the Songhai. I didn't really want any new cities due to the happiness and warmonger penalties. I did station a bunch of artillery around one of the Songhai cities next to a CS, and just weakened them enough so the CS could take over.

Did people run strats where they cripple unimportant cities and let allied CS take them, so you don't get the warmonger penalties? In the end, you only want to keep the good cities/capitals.

I am always looking for these opportunities, and even though I am bad at warmongering generally, I have pulled it off a few times. Especially for the last couple of AI cities, I make it a high priority. Still, it is unusual, but well worth adjusting your battle plan for. Often the AI city will regenerate a bit between your turn and the CS turn, and the CS tend to be very timid. I also try to have two mounted (good) or two melee ships (better) available for gifting the turn I reduce the AI city to 0 health.

This topic made me thinking, how does this strategy affect the science output of a CS? Since I often take Patronage and go for Scholasticism, applying this strategy would give me a little science boost, only when you do it multiple times of course. I guess it won't make a difference but avoiding a warmonger penalty and getting a very small science boost ain't bad. Plus it just looks and feels awesome if your CS ally takes an enemy city. Oh, the humiliation!

Moderator Action: Two threads about City states owning two cities merged

Do you have the Reddit link? It does not seem feasible to me that a CS would keep more than one or two cities. Can the player disable city razing?

http://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/2olbk9/i_here_you_guys_like_big_city_states_meet/
(For future reference: you can click the reddit icon on the left of an imgur page to get the corresponding reddit page.)

The player claims he turned off city raising and the CS grew from there. Some other commenters call shenanigans, though.

frankilla44 on reddit said:
yeah that is possible, I think OP maybe is not truthful and was playing a modded hot-seat game though where they were playing as melborne. I mean someone would have had to conquer melbourne within the first 20 turns, then ramp up production and growth to get so many of those good early game wonders. It just seems like it wouldn't be something the AI would do. Also, it is something that just doesn't line up and combined with the fact that the post is already hard to believe (a city state conquering 120+ cities) I have my doubts that the game played out the way OP said it did.

I'm just going to be a skeptic and say he doctored this by doing a hot-seat game that was modded or something where he could play as a city state OR made a map that was already like this in the editor (hence the existence of the wonders). Also, beyond missionaries and prophets that are captured, I'm fairly certain city states don't produce great people (you can see great engineer, admiral, general, and scientist in image 2; great merchant in image 5 and great artist in image 5). These units are not capturable by military units. Other evidence of OP lying is the existence of the caravan in image 5, city states definitely can not build their own trade routes!

I don't care he doctored the game, and this is pretty sweet, but he clearly isn't telling the whole story.

Top Bottom