Sweden: A powerful civ?

watabeasty

Chieftain
I'm a bit weird in that Sweden is actually one of my favorite civs, if not my absolute favorite civ, in the game. I'm just wondering what you guys think about Sweden. This tends to be a civ that gets beat up a lot in forums for being "terrible" or is at best called "average", but I do not find this to be the case. Here is my analysis/brief strategy guide of them:

Nobel Prize:
Sweden essentially gets a double-UA, with one giving you 90 influence with a city-state when you gift it a great person, and the other giving you a 10% boost to great person generation for every DoF you have. People complain that your "friends" also get the 10% boost, but a sole 10% does not do that much. The first part of their UA is situational in that it is not overly common for you to use it, but it can definitely be used two or three times a game at least. This is best used to gift a great prophet which only has one spread religion use left, or for excess great generals and admirals you have. These gifts are essentially worth 1000 gold in gifts to city-states, and provide an insta-alliance in the early game. With this part of their UA in mind, it is almost essential to found a religion at least as Sweden. Dance of the Aurora is the best to take due to their tundra start bias, and will provide a lot of faith which can be used to generate more great prophets. Other beliefs really depend on the game you are playing and do not matter much, except for the enhancer. Fro the enhancer, take the one that makes prophets 25% stronger and makes them require 25% less faith. This allows you to generate more great prophets, as well as get good use out of them for the fewer spread religion uses you will have before you gift them. The Hagia Sophia is a good wonder as Sweden, as it can basically provide 90 influence with a city-state. The other part though, is where Sweden really shines. I played a game once, on deity difficulty as Sweden, where I got 7 DoFs. That was +70% generation of great people. If you are at least half-decent at diplomacy and have at least a few neutral civs (meaning they aren't overly aggressive or friendly) in your game you can get around 4 DoFs. That is still +40% of scientists and can go higher. This is extremely powerful. They are in this way good in any victory condition, with a slight lean towards a culture victory, which is based on great people generation. While in an average game of +40% great person production they are overshadowed by Babylon, they can still be very good at science. They can also be quite good at diplomatic victories due to the other part of their UA and the surprising speed at which they can generate great merchants. Domination victories require a little of all, which they have no problem doing, and their UUs help a lot in this department.

Hakkapeliitta:
This unit tends to receive quite a beating. While this unit most definitely is not one of the best units in the game, I would say it is far from the worst (I'm looking at you, Slinger). This unit tends to be misinterpreted. People tend to only value units on their stand-alone value, and those that are strong all by themselves tend to be called the best. These replace an already supportive unit and add on to that support by giving a specialization with great generals. Lancers were already supposed to be a unit fighting in the sides of your formations, using hit-and-run tactics like horseback units should, and by chasing down knights and later cavalry. Now they allow your great generals to be really mobile on the battlefield, helping to keep that combat bonus on the areas of your army that need it, and helping to keep it out of harm's way. This is especially true since these units receive a 15% combat bonus (effectively doubling the effects of the great general) on these units so that they are hard to kill and so that you don't lose your great general.

Carolean:
Now that foreign legions aren't a "true" UU, I'd say these are my favorite UU in the warrior-swordsmen line. The only thing they get over the normal rifleman is the march promotion, but this is more than enough. These units are very strong as they can continually attack without stopping to heal. Although these are already strong by themselves, it isn't a bad idea to through in a Hakkapeliitta or two as well.

Other:
One of the main problems people have with Sweden is that they have a tundra start bias. Just like with Russia, their UA actually works with this bias, although the Russian one works to fix it while the Swedish one synergizes with it and uses it to better itself. Their start bias actually synergizes by allowing more DoFs. Nobody wants tundra, so nobody wants your land. This removes a major early game penalty, and allows you to get those DoFs quicker so you can develop relationships so that you can keep those DoFs. Besides, tundra has a shocking number of iron and oil resources, as well as the fact that it seems like natural wonders spawn there more often. Also, it provides for a great pantheon that works with their UA. Lastly, Sweden has arguably one of the best color schemes in the game for their borders. Royal blue + gold = amazing. And the music is good. The only major problem I have with Sweden is the AI. AI Gustav is an and never wants to accept DoFs even though is UA is dependent on them. He is like a less severe William as the AI, where the UA does not get used.

Sweden is decent, but it's one of those civs that are in between. The Carolean is the best part, UA is pretty good, but you only would send merchants, prophets, admirals and generals, which are probably not as common as GWAM, scientists or engineers, unless warring a lot, or playing extremely religiously. Hakkapellita is a Lancer, which is already a minus. It's worse than the other lAncers, the Sipahi and the Winged Hussar. It's not easy to use, another minus. So to me, it's a in between civ, however the Hakkapellita is pretty bad IMO.

I use GP gifting a lot more than that. I'm gifting 3 GG's, a couple prophets, about 3 merchants, and a few admirals depending on the map. Combine that with tbe Patronage tree, and I'm on my way. But I think it's pretty clear that Greece is better.

Sweden is decent, but it's one of those civs that are in between. The Carolean is the best part, UA is pretty good, but you only would send merchants, prophets, admirals and generals, which are probably not as common as GWAM, scientists or engineers, unless warring a lot, or playing extremely religiously. Hakkapellita is a Lancer, which is already a minus. It's worse than the other lAncers, the Sipahi and the Winged Hussar. It's not easy to use, another minus. So to me, it's a in between civ, however the Hakkapellita is pretty bad IMO.

Does Hakkapellita increase GG generation? If not then its pretty useless. It could use a small buff that gives it bonus in generating GGs.

I consider Sweden a "high skillcap" civ (my principle is that I don't say there are bad civs, just that there are civs that are hard to use). The issue I'm having with Sweden, which I'd like to hear some thoughts on, is the seeming contradiction involved in their gameplay.

The thing with Sweden is that to increase GP generation, you need friends. But at the same time, most of the GPs you'll be gifting are Great Generals and Great Admirals, which are mainly obtained through warfare. Having two UUs also gives the civ a militaristic bent. So that's the contradiction. How do you keep your friends and go warring at the same time?

I consider Sweden a "high skillcap" civ (my principle is that I don't say there are bad civs, just that there are civs that are hard to use). The issue I'm having with Sweden, which I'd like to hear some thoughts on, is the seeming contradiction involved in their gameplay.

The thing with Sweden is that to increase GP generation, you need friends. But at the same time, most of the GPs you'll be gifting are Great Generals and Great Admirals, which are mainly obtained through warfare. Having two UUs also gives the civ a militaristic bent. So that's the contradiction. How do you keep your friends and go warring at the same time?

Yeah I always thought Sweden looked a bit clunky. It seems the UUs are best used for ideological war so chances are your best bet is to pick Order (since most AIs seem to favor order) then declare war on the common badboy that everyone hates.

Obviously its never a wise idea trying to be friends with everyone as that always backfires.
Maybe don't capture cities just attack units to keep getting the Great General Points.

Do the Citystates do anything with the Great People? If you give them as you say a Great Prophet with 1 spread religion left will they use that to convert their city?

Also Sweden's UA is 10% great people bonus regardless of how many civs there are on the map right? So a larger map with more civs, means more friends?

The first part of their UA is situational in that it is not overly common for you to use it, but it can definitely be used two or three times a game at least.

That is a very minimal number, for peaceful-only approach where you only gift GPr and GMer. As people point out, you need warmonger with Sweden to generate GG and GAd.

Their start bias actually synergizes by allowing more DoFs. Nobody wants tundra, so nobody wants your land. This removes a major early game penalty, and allows you to get those DoFs quicker so you can develop relationships so that you can keep those DoFs. Besides, tundra has a shocking number of iron and oil resources, as well as the fact that it seems like natural wonders spawn there more often. Also, it provides for a great pantheon that works with their UA.

That is the best defense of their Tundra start bias I have ever read! Thanks!

The thing with Sweden is that to increase GP generation, you need friends. But at the same time, most of the GPs you'll be gifting are Great Generals and Great Admirals, which are mainly obtained through warfare. Having two UUs also gives the civ a militaristic bent.

Nice summary of the contradictory UA! As others have response, you have to pick a good target for your aggression. You want to constantly be at war, but not incurring warmonger penalty. The diplo penalties are much more about conquering cities than DOWing, so this is actually pretty manageable. I had fun with Sweden in GnK, but I have not tried them with BNW. I would imagine that the conflicts over ideology means fewer but easier DOFs while allowing continuous low grade wars.

Do the Citystates do anything with the Great People? If you give them as you say a Great Prophet with 1 spread religion left will they use that to convert their city?

Never that I could discern. I was definitely looking to see if the CS picked up my religion, and that didn't happened. I think the GP just disappear.

Also Sweden's UA is 10% great people bonus regardless of how many civs there are on the map right? So a larger map with more civs, means more friends?

True. I think the UA caps at 100% though.

Everytime I play with Sweden as the AI, they are a pain in the ass.
I thought the AI would be nice, trying to make friends with other civs and CS.

Instead, he consistently bullies city states, extorting money. He seems to take it very personal when you ally with a city state, instead of trying to gain influence he just bullies them.
Worse is how smug he is diplomatically. I have never had any other CIV trash talk so much.
He constantly says "We both know you won't do anything to protect such and such...", he steals their land with citadels.
Pain and punk.

I thought he'd be trying to be more, diplomatic, is this the norm?

Everytime I play with Sweden as the AI, they are a pain in the ass.
I thought the AI would be nice, trying to make friends with other civs and CS.

Instead, he consistently bullies city states, extorting money. He seems to take it very personal when you ally with a city state, instead of trying to gain influence he just bullies them.
Worse is how smug he is diplomatically. I have never had any other CIV trash talk so much.
He constantly says "We both know you won't do anything to protect such and such...", he steals their land with citadels.
Pain and punk.

I thought he'd be trying to be more, diplomatic, is this the norm?

Looking at the AI values, Gustavus seems ot have a high Diplomatic balance. What I THINK it means is that he gets upset if someone's ahead.

Then he has his moments when he just wants a good old fashioned war too often. He like military buildings, so those pre-promoted units might give him an edge over other AI.

Everytime I play with Sweden as the AI, they are a pain in the ass. I thought the AI would be nice, trying to make friends with other civs and CS.

I concur that AI does a terrible job with the Sweden UA. In my experience, only Byzantium gives the AI more of a problem. They are rarely friendly with me, and I almost always play peaceful and I am in the bottom third of score leaderboard. I don't know how high Diplomacy and Diplomatic Balance flavor and trait should manifest, but I don't see it in my games.

I concur that AI does a terrible job with the Sweden UA. In my experience, only Byzantium gives the AI more of a problem. They are rarely friendly with me, and I almost always play peaceful and I am in the bottom third of score leaderboard. I don't know how high Diplomacy and Diplomatic Balance flavor and trait should manifest, but I don't see it in my games.

I hate Byzantium. She always tries to convert me, even after I warn her, and denounce her, I almost always have to Dow her because she will not stop.

I hate Byzantium. She always tries to convert me, even after I warn her, and denounce her, I almost always have to Dow her because she will not stop.

I suppose as Sweden you can capture Byzantiums Great Prophets and use them as your citystate gift.

Funny you mention both Byzantine and Sweden AI cause both of those civs just showed up in the game that I made a short write-up here about playing an Exploration based naval map.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13549125#post13549125

Sweden for quite peaceful but he had the worst start position ever. Map was small continents plus - he was stuck all by himself on some crappy tundra island with the capital on a inland glacial sea. He did give me friendship a few times though the first time was a surprise to me because normally the AIs don't give out friendship so quickly - so I'm sure the UA must have something to do with it.

And Byzantium well they were sending their prophets to convert my neighbouring Citystates all the way across the bloody large sized map. They wouldn't convert my cities except some far-flung colonies that had been converted to another AI religion via religious pressure. That I didn't mind about too much except those cities lost Religious Center and gave me the opportunity to build a mosque for 1000 faith.
It was annoying because I had God of the Sea and I wanted my island colonies to be able to get the benefit of working sea tiles (so I guess I needed religious tolerance) but I wasn't playing a Piety game.

She always tries to convert me, even after I warn her, and denounce her, I almost always have to Dow her because she will not stop.

And Byzantium well they were sending their prophets to convert my neighbouring Citystates all the way across the bloody large sized map.

The problem the AI has playing Byzanium is founding at all, so think you were both lucky to get some competition!

Nice summary of the contradictory UA! As others have response, you have to pick a good target for your aggression. You want to constantly be at war, but not incurring warmonger penalty. The diplo penalties are much more about conquering cities than DOWing, so this is actually pretty manageable. I had fun with Sweden in GnK, but I have not tried them with BNW. I would imagine that the conflicts over ideology means fewer but easier DOFs while allowing continuous low grade wars.

This constant warfare without taking cities might work better on higher difficulties. On Prince, the AI rarely builds enough units to provide a steady stream of experience for your troops, after you destroy their initial army. I find myself with nothing to do but have my artillery do target practice on their cities. Although I said I'd be comfortable staying on Prince forever, maybe it's time to move up to King?

I've seen deity ai bring up what seem to be swarms of units after I killed the front lines. Once I'm attacking the ai deity city more units often pop out of nowhere.

I've seen deity ai bring up what seem to be swarms of units after I killed the front lines. Once I'm attacking the ai deity city more units often pop out of nowhere.

On the funny screenshots thread I've seen pictures of the vanilla Deity AI filling up every single tile of their territory with units. Does that still happen? :crazyeye:

Hurray! I am chuffed, as just I won my first try at Deity using Sweden! Diplo victory turn 361. I was not really feeling very confident, but then I was able to bring both France and Germany back to life, so that was 12 more votes, and enough to put me over. Not something one could really depend on. Thank you all on the forums. I prolly should have tried Deity. The barbs were quite a surprise, but otherwise it felt exactly like my Immortal games.

I'm a bit weird in that Sweden is actually one of my favorite civs, if not my absolute favorite civ, in the game. I'm just wondering what you guys think about Sweden. This tends to be a civ that gets beat up a lot in forums for being "terrible" or is at best called "average", but I do not find this to be the case. Here is my analysis/brief strategy guide of them:

Nobel Prize:
Sweden essentially gets a double-UA, with one giving you 90 influence with a city-state when you gift it a great person, and the other giving you a 10% boost to great person generation for every DoF you have. People complain that your "friends" also get the 10% boost, but a sole 10% does not do that much. The first part of their UA is situational in that it is not overly common for you to use it, but it can definitely be used two or three times a game at least. This is best used to gift a great prophet which only has one spread religion use left, or for excess great generals and admirals you have. These gifts are essentially worth 1000 gold in gifts to city-states, and provide an insta-alliance in the early game. With this part of their UA in mind, it is almost essential to found a religion at least as Sweden. Dance of the Aurora is the best to take due to their tundra start bias, and will provide a lot of faith which can be used to generate more great prophets. Other beliefs really depend on the game you are playing and do not matter much, except for the enhancer. Fro the enhancer, take the one that makes prophets 25% stronger and makes them require 25% less faith. This allows you to generate more great prophets, as well as get good use out of them for the fewer spread religion uses you will have before you gift them. The Hagia Sophia is a good wonder as Sweden, as it can basically provide 90 influence with a city-state. The other part though, is where Sweden really shines. I played a game once, on deity difficulty as Sweden, where I got 7 DoFs. That was +70% generation of great people. If you are at least half-decent at diplomacy and have at least a few neutral civs (meaning they aren't overly aggressive or friendly) in your game you can get around 4 DoFs. That is still +40% of scientists and can go higher. This is extremely powerful. They are in this way good in any victory condition, with a slight lean towards a culture victory, which is based on great people generation. While in an average game of +40% great person production they are overshadowed by Babylon, they can still be very good at science. They can also be quite good at diplomatic victories due to the other part of their UA and the surprising speed at which they can generate great merchants. Domination victories require a little of all, which they have no problem doing, and their UUs help a lot in this department.

Hakkapeliitta:
This unit tends to receive quite a beating. While this unit most definitely is not one of the best units in the game, I would say it is far from the worst (I'm looking at you, Slinger). This unit tends to be misinterpreted. People tend to only value units on their stand-alone value, and those that are strong all by themselves tend to be called the best. These replace an already supportive unit and add on to that support by giving a specialization with great generals. Lancers were already supposed to be a unit fighting in the sides of your formations, using hit-and-run tactics like horseback units should, and by chasing down knights and later cavalry. Now they allow your great generals to be really mobile on the battlefield, helping to keep that combat bonus on the areas of your army that need it, and helping to keep it out of harm's way. This is especially true since these units receive a 15% combat bonus (effectively doubling the effects of the great general) on these units so that they are hard to kill and so that you don't lose your great general.

Carolean:
Now that foreign legions aren't a "true" UU, I'd say these are my favorite UU in the warrior-swordsmen line. The only thing they get over the normal rifleman is the march promotion, but this is more than enough. These units are very strong as they can continually attack without stopping to heal. Although these are already strong by themselves, it isn't a bad idea to through in a Hakkapeliitta or two as well.

Other:
One of the main problems people have with Sweden is that they have a tundra start bias. Just like with Russia, their UA actually works with this bias, although the Russian one works to fix it while the Swedish one synergizes with it and uses it to better itself. Their start bias actually synergizes by allowing more DoFs. Nobody wants tundra, so nobody wants your land. This removes a major early game penalty, and allows you to get those DoFs quicker so you can develop relationships so that you can keep those DoFs. Besides, tundra has a shocking number of iron and oil resources, as well as the fact that it seems like natural wonders spawn there more often. Also, it provides for a great pantheon that works with their UA. Lastly, Sweden has arguably one of the best color schemes in the game for their borders. Royal blue + gold = amazing. And the music is good. The only major problem I have with Sweden is the AI. AI Gustav is an and never wants to accept DoFs even though is UA is dependent on them. He is like a less severe William as the AI, where the UA does not get used.

That was an excellent analysis! I hope to start a game as Sweden soon, and I think this will help. Thanks.

IMO Sweden is best played as either an all-out warrior or as a battle farmer. Just don't go to war with the whole world at once.

Either style basically means you are picking a target, isolating them diplomatically, and raining heck down on them. For full domination, I like to go after whoever I can get the world to hate, slowly flipping on each nation when they least expect it (never someone I'm currently friends with). For Diplo, just staying at war with one person and constantly farming their units for GGs will do enough (although it can get boring).

Top Bottom