PolyCast Episode 216: "What's Next"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Bring it on. The two-hundred-and-sixteenth episode of PolyCast, "What's Next", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and "MadDjinn" are joined by returning guest co-host "DarkestOnion". It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m08s | Open Mic
Listener "Mats" emails to inquire about the future of Civilization V coverage on the show following the release of Civilization: Beyond Earth.
- 03m57s | Senate
Revisiting the Indian and German (18m14s) civilizations in Civ following the release of the Fall Patch for its second expansion pack, Brave New World.
- 24m08s | News
New details emerge about the upcoming Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game (MMORPG) Civ title, Civilization Online, leading to new questions and renewal of some previously asked ones.
- 37m22s | Forum Talk
What's behind the numbers of a "Favourite Affinity" poll for Civ: BE, near parity in a poll for "Favourite Biome" (43m46s) and from Firaxicon in September, creating Civilization atmosphere in the "Setting the Music" panel (48m30s; recorded for Episode 214).

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Who's that then, less is more and lyrically unambiguous.

Recording live before a listening audience every other Saturday, PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; listeners are encouraged to follow the show on Twitter, and check out the YouTube channel for caption capability. Sibling show RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution, ModCast on Civ modding, SCivCast on Civ social gaming and TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

Another good Polycast episode! It seems odd that a fair bit of the show was devoted to BE but the newest patch wasn't brought up. While the preliminary patch notes were discussed in episode 215, I'd like to hear discussion of the things we've learned since. (the changes to trade routes, colonists, how to balance happiness, Sponsor changes, etc.)

I usually play Civ with music off, so this episode taught me that BE biomes have different soundtracks. This might explain why I can't really tell the biomes apart, so I think I'll give the game a listen. Thanks!

Another good Polycast episode!
On behalf of myself and fellow co-hosts, thank you kindly. :)

It seems odd that a fair bit of the show was devoted to BE but the newest patch wasn't brought up. While the preliminary patch notes were discussed in episode 215, I'd like to hear discussion of the things we've learned since. (the changes to trade routes, colonists, how to balance happiness, Sponsor changes, etc.)
Simple explanation here: the patch was released two days after we recorded this episode. If only 2K/Firaxis would coordinate with us... ;)

I usually play Civ with music off, so this episode taught me that BE biomes have different soundtracks. This might explain why I can't really tell the biomes apart, so I think I'll give the game a listen. Thanks!
Welcome!

Great episode as always, Dan.
One inquiry, though: have you ever considered uploading the unaltered recordings alongside the edited ones? When I have the chance to listen live, I always enjoy hearing everything that goes on, even the stuff that does eventually get edited out. Plus, I always love to hear more of the show, so getting the ~2 hours of recording material as opposed to the 1 hour edited version would be awesome. Any chance this could happen?

Great episode as always, Dan.
:)

One inquiry, though: have you ever considered uploading the unaltered recordings alongside the edited ones? When I have the chance to listen live, I always enjoy hearing everything that goes on, even the stuff that does eventually get edited out. Plus, I always love to hear more of the show, so getting the ~2 hours of recording material as opposed to the 1 hour edited version would be awesome. Any chance this could happen?
This has been considered, yes. As it happens, the first episode recorded in 2011 -- Episode 109 -- took a similar approach: it was released with minimal editing. It was the first episode recorded following the switch from pre-recorded to live recording. Though an experiment on my part, soon after its release there was negative feedback received to this perceived change in approach to editing; combined with my own feelings towards the end product, I reverted my editing regiment.

While it is possible something comparable may be revisited in the future, it would be as a special 'event' only in acknowledgment of reaching a new show milestone.

Ah okay, that makes sense. What would be the problem with releasing two different versions, though? (Hope that doesn't sound accusatory - just curious, as it would satisfy those who prefer editing but also allow those of us who prefer a longer, unedited show.)

Thanks and can't wait for the next show!

Ah okay, that makes sense. What would be the problem with releasing two different versions, though? (Hope that doesn't sound accusatory - just curious, as it would satisfy those who prefer editing but also allow those of us who prefer a longer, unedited show.)
No, not at all re: accusatory. It comes down to my preferring an edited version as I feel it is of superior quality.

Thanks and can't wait for the next show!
:king:

Top Bottom