Roman Empire

Roman Empire Map's

• Yes, always can use another great Roman map.

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Oh no...not another Rome map, im going to puke.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kristina, you created a map for your own mod/scenario purposes and decided to share it? We have to say "THANK YOU!" :) The more to choose from - the better, IMHO, so anyone can choose a suitable map according to their taste rather than just puke.
I added some info into the spoiler - I don't if it'll be interesting/useful, that's the reason to hide it into the spoiler.
Spoiler :
Mountains in Sahara? Well, a kind of idea. :) Meanwhile, if you don't plan to make desert "settleable" - the map may be improved by replacing mountains in Sahara by desert tiles - there'll be no cities.
Probably, you may like the idea of 1-tile-wide big rivers - like Nile and Danube (Дунай, russian). How it looks - please, see here. It adds some flavour to the game.
Anyway, these are just thoughts. What & how to do - up to you.

Kristina, you created a map for your own mod/scenario purposes and decided to share it? We have to say "THANK YOU!" :) The more to choose from - the better, IMHO, so anyone can choose a suitable map according to their taste rather than just puke.
I added some info into the spoiler - I don't if it'll be interesting/useful, that's the reason to hide it into the spoiler.

Of course I like comments!

the mountain ranges on the far east and far west of Africa are respresented. But, modding is an individual thing, making it all desert to fit in with your specific needs and tastes is ok. Thats what you should do! I know some people like to post a take it or leave it graphic, but thats not me. If you see an improvement or a change that you can make, make it. And post it, because others may be thinking the same thing!

I like the idea of wide rivers that can be used to sail boats up.

Mountains in Sahara? Well, a kind of idea. :) Meanwhile, if you don't plan to make desert "settleable" - the map may be improved by replacing mountains in Sahara by desert tiles

Here I agree with Wolfshade. A Northern Africa without sand ? -Here is something missing. And here is not only missing something on that map, but in the complete modding of Civ 3. The desert, that is not only plain sandy terrain. Where are the dunes, hills and mountains for that terrain? - They are missing (but not only on this map but in nearly every map for Civ 3). Here is something that could be really improved for the Civ 3 community.

This terrain could not only be used for ancient scenarios, even in WW II the Qattara Depression was a massive strategic factor in the campagne. There exists (an in my eyes not too good) landmark terrain for the Qattara Depression. But LM-terrain is difficult to handle and concerning me, I have a different (and in my eyes better) use for this kind of terrain. So what is needed, is a set of different resources that give the desert the dunes, hills and mountains and other formations for the most popular versions of terrain and if Ronning is doing his terrain set, he should have a thought about it. :)

There exists an old set of sanddune resources for Civ 3. I attache a screenshot from the in my eyes best German Civ 3 scenario "Aventurien" to demonstrate, what can be done in the desert with only a handful of such resources. Added as bonus resources, we can add as many of them as we want to the game. Until now, no one has reached here a border.

And Zubareva: I´m glad you share such a lot of your art with other fans of Civ 3.:)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Aventurien-Desert.jpg
    Aventurien-Desert.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 3,280
I agree with you about the sand dunes. It would also be easier if the food plain could be seperated graphics from the desert, but i dont know if this is possible.

You could do it with resourse icon, that would be good idea. Just for flavor.

I was confused, I thought wolf was talking about the hills in the desert, because the desert was not allowing cities. I thought he was making a point that the hills would be settled. Which is true. But the AI will make a city anywhere!! Its not good to have dozens of cities in the desert. The North African coast is where the settlements were. Sea trade was the important part of the coastal econonomy. So I dont usually make desert able to make a city.

The map looks very nice from the screenshots. You have a good grasp of geography and terrain diversity, something that some map makers have lacked.

:goodjob:

I agree with you about the sand dunes. It would also be easier if the food plain could be seperated graphics from the desert, but i dont know if this is possible.
Make the desert graphic look like what you want for the floodplains. Use LM Desert for the regular desert. Not perfect, but feasible without any kludges.

Zubareva said:
AI will make a city anywhere!! Its not good to have dozens of cities in the desert.
Yes, that was a reason I made desert doesn't allow to build city after I saw it one of mods I played. So if you plan to make desert "unsettlable" - no need to fill Sahara with mountains. That was a point (oh my terrible English).
Yoda said:
something that some map makers have lacked.
Got your point. ;)

But the AI will make a city anywhere!! Its not good to have dozens of cities in the desert.
Turn the combined floodplain/desert graphics to advantage. Floodplain away from a river will look just like desert. Voila! Limited preset settleable spots in desert. Surrounded by unimprovable terrain. With an attendant risk that population will suddenly sicken & die off. Models desert settlements pretty well, imho.

Yes, that was a reason I made desert doesn't allow to build city after I saw it one of mods I played. So if you plan to make desert "unsettlable" - no need to fill Sahara with mountains. That was a point (oh my terrible English).

Got your point. ;)

See... ;) I understood you!

I've always wondered how to turn my Jungle graphics into Dunes, which would allow me to make impassable desert terrain -- but so far I've not been successful, because the jungles always peek out from underneath the Dunes I copy & paste on top of them!

It would be a lot easier if LM desert could have different flags than standard desert terrain, but I don't think it can. :(

Mithadan why don't you just remove the jungle before adding the dunes???

I've always wondered how to turn my Jungle graphics into Dunes, which would allow me to make impassable desert terrain -- but so far I've not been successful, because the jungles always peek out from underneath the Dunes I copy & paste on top of them!

It would be a lot easier if LM desert could have different flags than standard desert terrain, but I don't think it can. :(

But thats still an interesting concept. It would need to be worked out right, but i dont see why it wouldnt work if you had it just right.

Is the jungle graphic itself or the base terrain? Jungle will use Grassland as the base terrain. If your dunes don't cover the entire tile you will definitely see the grassland graphic around the edges.

If you haven't solved the problem post a screenshot.

Yeah, a screen would help. I was thinking the same as to the base. It would have to have a covering bottom like blue monkey said.

EDIT-

If you leave the square on the jungle tile blank, it does make grassland, so it would work I guess if you made the whole box covered. It wouldnt work as a generic terrain feature, because it would have to match the specific desert terrain that you are using.

I think you could make it work though, and even if it doesnt, its still a great concept, because it opens the door to other options by recognizing another way to change features. I never thought of changing the jungle into something else. Ive always tried to use the marsh, or resources.

So thanks! Good ideas.

Hi, and thanks for creating a map on the Roman Empire. I have always enjoyed reading about one of the longest-lasting empires in Western Civilization, and from briefly reading the comments other posters made about your map, you've tweaked the CIV III map to make it more accurately reflect how their world actually looked.

My question is simple: When using WIN rar to extract your compressed file, where do I extract the map file to in my CIV III folders?

Thanks.:)

Civnutplayer

But thats still an interesting concept. It would need to be worked out right, but i dont see why it wouldnt work if you had it just right.

Is the jungle graphic itself or the base terrain? Jungle will use Grassland as the base terrain. If your dunes don't cover the entire tile you will definitely see the grassland graphic around the edges.

If you haven't solved the problem post a screenshot.

Yeah, a screen would help. I was thinking the same as to the base. It would have to have a covering bottom like blue monkey said.

EDIT-

If you leave the square on the jungle tile blank, it does make grassland, so it would work I guess if you made the whole box covered. It wouldnt work as a generic terrain feature, because it would have to match the specific desert terrain that you are using.

I think you could make it work though, and even if it doesnt, its still a great concept, because it opens the door to other options by recognizing another way to change features. I never thought of changing the jungle into something else. Ive always tried to use the marsh, or resources.

So thanks! Good ideas.

Hey guys, sorry to not have responded to the thread...in almost a full month! :( Anyway, here's a screenshot of how far I got...way back when I was playing RaR (like 6 years ago):

I guess I never got as far as cutting & pasting the Dune graphics over the LM Jungle or LM Forest graphics, but just stopped with some hasty, experimental unicolour blobs. I tried to cover the entire tile, but there seems to be inevitable greenish bleed-over into the Desert tiles themselves because they do that (?) when placed beside any terrain that uses Grassland as a base? Same thing when placed beside Plains, although doesn't look to be a problem when beside Hills. Not sure if that can be 'fixed' by clever graphics people, but I sure don't have the savvy to make decent mods to terrain graphics (sigh).

Hi, and thanks for creating a map on the Roman Empire. I have always enjoyed reading about one of the longest-lasting empires in Western Civilization, and from briefly reading the comments other posters made about your map, you've tweaked the CIV III map to make it more accurately reflect how their world actually looked.

My question is simple: When using WIN rar to extract your compressed file, where do I extract the map file to in my CIV III folders?

Thanks.:)

Civnutplayer
You extract the file to .../Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios

Top Bottom