Great mod, but AI attacking is severely butchered

Caymon

Chieftain
===EDIT===

Just wanted to put here that the problem is fixed in the newest rev. This mod rocks!

========

Old:

Hi.

I came back to playing this mod, and updated to the latest rev, 983+. There is a severe bug that renders the game unplayable for me, since it's impossible for the AI to do anything on the battlefield.

I noticed that the AI absolutely NEVER uses siege weapons to bombard a city, or even cause collateral damage. I tried the UPT rule to see if that would fix it - no luck. They actually move their stacks of siege weapons away from the city while sending countless other units to their death when trying to attack the defended city. Not really challenging and fun at all for the player.

In my opinion, this is a BIG, PESKY, bug that ruins a lot of the experience of playing Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn.

In rev 920 there was no problem with this, so I am reverting back for the time being.

Please fix. For everything else, this mod is great!

hm, 983\985 rev middleages, ai attack me with macemans, catapults, war elephants, and other available to him units - what i do wrong? i`m playing with flexible difficulty option started from prince - currently on monarch)

Related to this topic, what kind of algorithm does the AI use to decide if it should attack (in a tactical situation, unit versus unit) or not?

I've played with Persia recently (rev985) and it seems like the AI happily attacks with it's archers even before I get to attack them in defensive positions. Immortal is 5*1.5=7.5str against Archers 3str (or 4-5 depending on tech). Most of the attacks have been pure suicides, and afterwards I've had easy time with the cities since most of the defenders have died in the attacks.

Seems like the AI doesn't consider a single attack's strength balance that well?

In my games they tend to attack in big stacks, especially when in the Renaissance era. Hundreds of grenadiers in particular.

Biggest problem I've seen is that the AI is garbage at modernizing militaries. Haven't seen any enemy aircraft my past couple of games.

In my games they tend to attack in big stacks, especially when in the Renaissance era. Hundreds of grenadiers in particular.

Biggest problem I've seen is that the AI is garbage at modernizing militaries. Haven't seen any enemy aircraft my past couple of games.

They do attack in stacks, but it's not that smart when they would get +50-100% better bonus by just defending. I'm not sure if the AI overvalues archers as attackers or what is the problem.

They do attack in stacks, but it's not that smart when they would get +50-100% better bonus by just defending. I'm not sure if the AI overvalues archers as attackers or what is the problem.

I've noticed the same thing. The AI will attack with waves of longbows... but at least they usually upgrade the attacking ones with first strike promotions.
Still inefficient though.

Ok this is really crippling for the AI. I can basically murder strong protective AIs by parking Immortals on hills/forests beside their cities, and the archers and javelineers will mass suicide on my Immortals (immortals indeed in this case :)).

I needed only a "stack" of 4 immortals to slowly grind down HREs cities that had 50+ CD/Drill2 Strength 4 archers, in a matter of less than 30-40 rounds.

Cries for a fix, if it's possible :(

Related to this topic, I've a common bug:

the AI is attacking another AI with tons of units.
The defender has few units, and as the turn passes, still they don't conquer!!
It seems that the AI is attacking with just one or two units per turn

Archer issue:

Do you have Archer bombard ON?
In my experiences they love range bombarding nearby units from a well defended tile.

No I don't have that feature on.

Basically the root problem is that the AI attacks from well-defended cities against strong attacker positions, and doesn't seem to calculate at all whether it's better to defend or attack.

The difference between defend/attack can be easily tilted from 3:2 odds for the AI to 1:2-1:3 against (archer 5str vs immortal on forest hill). I wouldn't mind a bigger stack of weaker units trying to wear out a stronger attacker, but the AI sometimes suicides everyone except a lone city defender.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13937328 said:
We're aware that AI war strategy needs improvement :)

I thought you would be :)

The problem seems less highlighted after ancient era when AI stacks are more balanced. In ancient era, AI armies seemed to be mostly archers, and Immortals were perfect counters for them. Now I'm regretting I let Caesar develop enough to get Praetorians... In other words, I'm having fun! :)

How easy is the strategic & tactical AI to mod? I think some small emphasis value changes here and there could do wonders, IF they're easy to mod.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13937804 said:
Unfortunately it's not that easy, but we'll do our best :)

You know code can tell a story, right? ?Why not read the code story of how to fight. See where AI is emphasize this or that you are looking for, then change that value. Why not that easy? Fundamentally, because what code you coders put in are from your imaginations! :)
Though, it would be cool if you can do catch the spirit of the AI story as coded, and see where you disagree with or redesign the code, do that and test. We trust you! ;):king:

There is improvement. I started to play a game, and rome used at least 40 balista to fire down my city defense. But yeah - he still attacks only with one Unit. In the normal Game the AI doesnt do this, so i would ask: why now? It makes fights longer, yeah. But its at least very strange...

There is improvement. I started to play a game, and rome used at least 40 balista to fire down my city defense. But yeah - he still attacks only with one Unit. In the normal Game the AI doesnt do this, so i would ask: why now? It makes fights longer, yeah. But its at least very strange...

So you are asking to make AI be more purposefully with its stacks? Make exception to the fact it is a stack sent out to attack or conquer a city to attack with lower odds tolerance? Maybe AI need to understand distinct use of stacks? Unfortunately i can't read the code very well to see the story behind it.

Well, the AI has lets say 50 Swordmen, 60 Catapults, 40 Riders and the city is defended with lets say 20 units, they can attack with catapults and then storm the city, like a human would do this. atm the catapults fire their range attack and then one! unit attacks the city. Thats a bit pointless i think.

Well, the AI has lets say 50 Swordmen, 60 Catapults, 40 Riders and the city is defended with lets say 20 units, they can attack with catapults and then storm the city, like a human would do this. atm the catapults fire their range attack and then one! unit attacks the city. Thats a bit pointless i think.

same is happening to me!!

Hope they fix this, because that's an outstanding mod!!

Haven't played in a couple of months but was thinking of picking up where i left off my last game. How is AI? Is this fixed? Is war bugged for AI?

Top Bottom